Author Topic: Just came from NetsDaily. Apparently...  (Read 15437 times)

Re: Just came from NetsDaily. Apparently...
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think saying Marcus Smart has "outstanding BBIQ" is a completely fair statement.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 01:29:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think saying Marcus Smart has "outstanding BBIQ" is a completely fair statement.

That is your opinion, which is fair enough - we are all entitled to one.

My opinion differs :)

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 03:49:39 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
No way. Smart has the potential to be a future all star.

López is just a top 40 or 50 player at best.
I like Smart, but he will never be an all-star.  He
 will never have the stats for it.  The only reason Smart gets playing time is because of the other stuff he does.
Well we're both guessing, but I think you're wrong.  Marcus is 21 and already impacting NBA games.  Improved shooting is possible and is the only thing keeping him from being an all-star.
 A guard who is all-NBA defensively while putting up 14 points 5 assists, 5 boards and 2 steals is all-star worthy -- and I think he'll put these type of numbers up next year.

I'm not sure in which world a 14/5/5 guard makes the all star team...even with elite defense. 

Damien Lillard (24/7/5), Kemba Walker (20/5/4), Kyrie Irving (19/5/3), Rajon Rondo (12/12/6), Mike Conley (15/6/3) and Reggie Jackson (19/6/3) all missed the ASG this year because that's how deep the league is at the PG spot. 

There is no way a 14/5/5 Marcus Smart even sniffs an All-Star game.  He'd need to be putting up closer to 17/6/5 and All-Defensive team defense and dramatically improved shooting percentages just to have an outside chance.

Good research, but don't you think all the examples you gave are "all-star worthy" performances?  Competition is tight but my point was that all-NBA defense with very good offensive numbers are all-star worthy.  And Smart is capable of that. You concede that an extra 3 points and 1 rebound from my projection makes the grade so it seems we are living in the same, or at least similar, worlds.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:58:22 AM by Neurotic Guy »