Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413173 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pretty solid season.  Can't wait until next year.  Wife and I actually picked up the first book today.  I will probably start reading the whole series and have it done by next season of the HBO show.

Was this the last one?

Loved the baby dragons!
Yeah I had a pretty strong hunch that those things were gonna hatch at one point in one of the books/seasons.  Didn't expect the horse/barbarian dude to die though.

Does anyone else think 10 episode seasons should be a crime?  Seems like a lot of shows are going that way nowadays.  Each good show should have at least 20-24.

13 epis is pretty common. So is 11.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Seems like a lot of shows are going that way nowadays.  Each good show should have at least 20-24.
I disagree, giving a show 20-24 episodes (especially in an hour long structure) can be too much time for a drama.

Having a limited run time forces the director to make choices and develop themes judiciously. Far too many shows just meander on and become boring or become completely episodic if given too much time to film.

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Pretty solid season.  Can't wait until next year.  Wife and I actually picked up the first book today.  I will probably start reading the whole series and have it done by next season of the HBO show.

Was this the last one?

Loved the baby dragons!
Yeah I had a pretty strong hunch that those things were gonna hatch at one point in one of the books/seasons.  Didn't expect the horse/barbarian dude to die though.

Does anyone else think 10 episode seasons should be a crime?  Seems like a lot of shows are going that way nowadays.  Each good show should have at least 20-24.

13 epis is pretty common. So is 11.
Yeah that's really what I meant.  Shorter seasons.

Sometimes Fafnir is right, some shows can't handle it and maybe this is one of them (I don't know I haven't read the book), but I think a lot of dramas that have this level of action have been fine with the long seasons.  Especially with the large universe and multiple main characters I think they could have easily done several mini-plots (4-5 episodes) throughout the season the way that 24 did it.

To be honest I've never felt that a drama was too slow or boring due to the length of a season.  Maybe that's because I only watch good ones, I don't know.  But anything that combines action with drama just always leaves me wanting more.  It's like having a bag with only 10 potato chips.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Pretty solid rendering of the book's last act.  I was a little bit surprised by how much of Daenarys' naked body they showed, but I guess it's HBO.  Heh.

The dragons were a little underwhelming.  I was disappointed they weren't literally sucking at her breasts as they were in the book.  I suppose they'll become more impressive later.
Wasn't she all kinds of nude in the first episode?

I laughed when you said you were disappointed the dragons weren't sucking on her breasts like in the book.  Mostly because some fan nerd told me the other day that Daenary's is only 13 years old in the books.  Such a shame we can't have it more true to the books.  I guess even HBO has limits.  Lol

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Seems like a lot of shows are going that way nowadays.  Each good show should have at least 20-24.
I disagree, giving a show 20-24 episodes (especially in an hour long structure) can be too much time for a drama.

Having a limited run time forces the director to make choices and develop themes judiciously. Far too many shows just meander on and become boring or become completely episodic if given too much time to film.

You also have to remember that HBO goes without commercials, so an hour long drama on network is about forty minutes of actual show where as HBO shows are much closer to the actual hour so you're getting roughly the same amount of show, it just feels like less because it's not as spread out.

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Pretty solid rendering of the book's last act.  I was a little bit surprised by how much of Daenarys' naked body they showed, but I guess it's HBO.  Heh.

The dragons were a little underwhelming.  I was disappointed they weren't literally sucking at her breasts as they were in the book.  I suppose they'll become more impressive later.

I laughed when you said you were disappointed the dragons weren't sucking on her breasts like in the book.  Mostly because some fan nerd told me the other day that Daenary's is only 13 years old in the books.  Such a shame we can't have it more true to the books.  I guess even HBO has limits.  Lol

HBO: Drawing the Line at Nerdy Kiddie Pron Since 2011!

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

I laughed when you said you were disappointed the dragons weren't sucking on her breasts like in the book.  Mostly because some fan nerd told me the other day that Daenary's is only 13 years old in the books.  Such a shame we can't have it more true to the books.  I guess even HBO has limits.  Lol

Yeah, they made several of the characters older without ever really talking much about age.  Dany (13 to start book, 14 by end), Robb and Jon (both 14 to start book) all look older than their supposed age.  And with all the, um, mating that Dany does in season one it'd have been difficult to cast a real 13 year old in the role.  Though my wife does think the girl they cast as Dany still looked young, she doesn't look 13 and in real life is actually in her early 20s.

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I saw a kid at a restaurant who looked like an overweight Joffrey.  I almost had to slap him!

The young king's despicable character is played pretty well.
Yup

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I laughed when you said you were disappointed the dragons weren't sucking on her breasts like in the book.  Mostly because some fan nerd told me the other day that Daenary's is only 13 years old in the books.  Such a shame we can't have it more true to the books.  I guess even HBO has limits.  Lol

Yeah, they made several of the characters older without ever really talking much about age.  Dany (13 to start book, 14 by end), Robb and Jon (both 14 to start book) all look older than their supposed age.  And with all the, um, mating that Dany does in season one it'd have been difficult to cast a real 13 year old in the role.  Though my wife does think the girl they cast as Dany still looked young, she doesn't look 13 and in real life is actually in her early 20s.
I kinda got that the show tried making her look young, I got the feeling that she was a young girl in the book.  The first Stark daughter looked older than she acted though.  How old was she supposed to be in the book?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

Yeah, they made several of the characters older without ever really talking much about age.  Dany (13 to start book, 14 by end), Robb and Jon (both 14 to start book) all look older than their supposed age.  And with all the, um, mating that Dany does in season one it'd have been difficult to cast a real 13 year old in the role.  Though my wife does think the girl they cast as Dany still looked young, she doesn't look 13 and in real life is actually in her early 20s.
I kinda got that the show tried making her look young, I got the feeling that she was a young girl in the book.  The first Stark daughter looked older than she acted though.  How old was she supposed to be in the book?

Sansa was 11 to start the book.  Ages (from memory):

Viserys: 21
Jon and Robb: 14
Dany: 13
Joffrey: 12
Sansa: 11
Myrsella: 10?
Arya: 9
Tommen: 8?
Bran: 7
Rickon: 3

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Pretty solid rendering of the book's last act.  I was a little bit surprised by how much of Daenarys' naked body they showed, but I guess it's HBO.  Heh.

The dragons were a little underwhelming.  I was disappointed they weren't literally sucking at her breasts as they were in the book.  I suppose they'll become more impressive later.

I laughed when you said you were disappointed the dragons weren't sucking on her breasts like in the book.  Mostly because some fan nerd told me the other day that Daenary's is only 13 years old in the books.  Such a shame we can't have it more true to the books.  I guess even HBO has limits.  Lol

Haha.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I thought the fact that the dragons were sucking at her breasts was important because it underscored that she was their mother.  I don't think that necessarily came through in the finale, especially since they didn't even have the cracking noise in the fire when the eggs were hatching.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Got the new book today! 

Great prologue, then Chapter 1 starts right up with Tyrion.  I was hoping to finish up the book I was working on, but I'm thinking I'll read this first.
Yup

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2011, 11:03:07 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Got the new book today! 

Great prologue, then Chapter 1 starts right up with Tyrion.  I was hoping to finish up the book I was working on, but I'm thinking I'll read this first.

well thanks for the spoiler alert
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2011, 11:06:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Got the new book today! 

well thanks for the spoiler alert

I didn't tell you he died, did I?

CAUSE HE DOES 

Now there's a spoiler  ;D
Yup

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
OK, now he better not really die or I'll feel like a jerk (I haven't finished the chapter.
Yup