13 (50%)
Jayden Daniels (if available at #3)
8 (30.8%)
JJ McCarthy (Assume Trade Down)
2 (7.7%)
Michael Penix (Trade down even further)
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Poll: Which QB Option is the Best?  (Read 5758 times)

Poll: Which QB Option is the Best?
« on: March 18, 2024, 04:14:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I know there are some other options and it is hard to say exactly what the trade down options will recoup, but assume they are good aggressive trades.  That someone really wants to trade up to #3 and is willing to give up a lot.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 04:22:43 PM by Vermont Green »

Re: Which QB Option is the Best?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 04:20:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honestly, it's above my knowledge level. What I do know is that one of the quarterbacks is the best possible option, and the Pats talent evaluators' job is to find that player.  I think the Patriots should select that player rather than trading back.  That's assumes that they project the player to be an above average starter. If they don't, then trading back makes sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Poll: Which QB Option is the Best?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 04:25:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Yeah, I know there is some "it depends" in this.  To me it depends a lot on what the trade offer is.  If it is 3 firsts plus like SF gave up, then you really need to think about it.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 04:34:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yeah, I know there is some "it depends" in this.  To me it depends a lot on what the trade offer is.  If it is 3 firsts plus like SF gave up, then you really need to think about it.
think about it, yes, but not necessarily do it.  You still only do it if you aren't sold on Maye/Daniels. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 06:32:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
It is very very hard for me to picture Bo Nix being any sort of star quarterback. Apparently a popular mock had him going end of first. I saw him play a lot at Auburn and he really always seemed quite average and folded in big moments. I get Jayden is older too but he is almost a year younger than Nix and came from a terrible program before going to LSU (Arizona State, which unfortunately having a brother that went there, has been the dregs of the PAC 12 for quite some time).

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 07:02:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I personally would go with Maye. Daniels might be electric but that LSU team was stacked (two of their top receivers are likely 1st round picks including one Top-5 potentially). I also think Maye gets penalized for being younger (only 21), and having to deal with a lot of changes with the team (coordinator changes, O-Line changes, losing the star WR to 4 games to suspension, etc.). Would Daniels, Penix or others succeed with that kind of adversity? 

He feels Herbert-esque to me with the ceiling of a discount Josh Allen. While not a runner like Daniels, he has sneaky good athleticism and escapability. I trust him throwing the ball more than Daniels. Maybe he needs a year to fully develop but the Pats aren't a SB contender in 2024 anyways, and that's why Brissett is the "bridge/veteran" if needed.

I mean that's not to say I hate Daniels. Ultimately I would go with Maye or Daniels at #3. Would I consider trading down? Yeah, but only if it's some bonkers offer and you're not that sold on Maye and Daniels as Moranis said^

My guess is, they take a QB at #3, then use a 2nd round pick on WR (or trade up to late 1st to take a WR like Adonai Mitchell, Worthy or BTJ), then 3rd or 4th rounder on a solid, project OT. I would have loved this to begin with if it weren't for the fact that they really haven't addressed any of WR/OT in FA. They are really banking on their draft picks hitting and LT is still a major need next to QB.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 07:22:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I personally would go with Maye. Daniels might be electric but that LSU team was stacked (two of their top receivers are likely 1st round picks including one Top-5 potentially). I also think Maye gets penalized for being younger (only 21), and having to deal with a lot of changes with the team (coordinator changes, O-Line changes, losing the star WR to 4 games to suspension, etc.). Would Daniels, Penix or others succeed with that kind of adversity? 

He feels Herbert-esque to me with the ceiling of a discount Josh Allen. While not a runner like Daniels, he has sneaky good athleticism and escapability. I trust him throwing the ball more than Daniels. Maybe he needs a year to fully develop but the Pats aren't a SB contender in 2024 anyways, and that's why Brissett is the "bridge/veteran" if needed.

I mean that's not to say I hate Daniels. Ultimately I would go with Maye or Daniels at #3. Would I consider trading down? Yeah, but only if it's some bonkers offer and you're not that sold on Maye and Daniels as Moranis said^

My guess is, they take a QB at #3, then use a 2nd round pick on WR (or trade up to late 1st to take a WR like Adonai Mitchell, Worthy or BTJ), then 3rd or 4th rounder on a solid, project OT. I would have loved this to begin with if it weren't for the fact that they really haven't addressed any of WR/OT in FA. They are really banking on their draft picks hitting and LT is still a major need next to QB.

Rian Rusilo had one of the top college football guys on last week, todd mcshay who was saying Daniels was considered closer to Caleb Williams in the teams he had talked to than Maye. So unless things change dramatically seems like a pretty solid chance we end up with Maye.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 07:27:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Rian Rusilo had one of the top college football guys on last week, todd mcshay who was saying Daniels was considered closer to Caleb Williams in the teams he had talked to than Maye. So unless things change dramatically seems like a pretty solid chance we end up with Maye.

That's fair. Honestly Daniels would fit Washington well too given their scheme and coaching staff.

What I would absolutely hate for the Pats to do is take JJ McCarthy at #3, or even just taking him in the Top-10. I just don't see much in him and even in the Combine Day he wasn't very good.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 07:32:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

That's fair. Honestly Daniels would fit Washington well too given their scheme and coaching staff.

What I would absolutely hate for the Pats to do is take JJ McCarthy at #3, or even just taking him in the Top-10. I just don't see much in him and even in the Combine Day he wasn't very good.

You say this and yet McCarthy has been climbing the boards since his combine day.  You are very probably wrong about him.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 08:59:51 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I wouldn’t expect anyone to give up what the 49ers did to move from #12 to #3. They were in a unique position being a contender that lacked a quarterback. Jimmy G was fragile and looked like just another guy. Taking a gamble on Trey Lance turned out to be foolish, because he’s been more fragile than Jimmy and he didn’t get a second chance after the emergence of Brock Purdy.

That’s going to serve as a warning to other teams. Why throw away picks when quarterbacks are a gamble and you can find one later in the draft.

The situation just isn’t the same this year. Teams desperate for a quarterback this year are already in position to take one early, and there’s not a contender that needs a quarterback now that Pittsburgh signed Wilson. And they’re not really a contender although they are trying hard to convince themselves. Dallas is the closest to that scenario and they just traded a 4th for Trey Lance.

Someone might want to move up, like Denver, but it won’t be for a 2021 type haul.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 11:21:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That is just weird to me.  Maye is playing at a mid-tier ACC school.  He is a 2-year starter and has over 8000 passing yards, 63 passing TD's, and 16 INT's.  He has added over 1200 yards rushing and 16 rushing TD's.  He has limited offensive talent around him.

Now I get Daniels senior year he was a beast with 40 TD's and 4 INT's and a passer rating of 208, but as was pointed out he is playing with immense talent and never performed anywhere close to that level at any other time.  And if you look at Daniels 2 starting years at ASU, he was nothing like Maye in his 2 starting years at UNC.  And while Maye has a great head coach, Daniels had a long time and well respected NFL head coach during his time at ASU and ASU had even been a 10 game winning school more recently than UNC was when Maye got there (in other words similar program levels). 

Daniels may be more ready next year (he is older after all), but Maye is a much better prospect and has a much higher ceiling.  If Washington passes on Maye for Daniels, the Patriots should send them flowers.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 01:37:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Which of those quarterbacks is more likely to be able to make the most of a mediocre situation with the Pats?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 02:05:13 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That is just weird to me.  Maye is playing at a mid-tier ACC school.  He is a 2-year starter and has over 8000 passing yards, 63 passing TD's, and 16 INT's.  He has added over 1200 yards rushing and 16 rushing TD's.  He has limited offensive talent around him.

Now I get Daniels senior year he was a beast with 40 TD's and 4 INT's and a passer rating of 208, but as was pointed out he is playing with immense talent and never performed anywhere close to that level at any other time.  And if you look at Daniels 2 starting years at ASU, he was nothing like Maye in his 2 starting years at UNC.  And while Maye has a great head coach, Daniels had a long time and well respected NFL head coach during his time at ASU and ASU had even been a 10 game winning school more recently than UNC was when Maye got there (in other words similar program levels). 

Daniels may be more ready next year (he is older after all), but Maye is a much better prospect and has a much higher ceiling.  If Washington passes on Maye for Daniels, the Patriots should send them flowers.
As one of the only people consistently watching those asu games during the herm Edwards years they were absolutely awful and he will never be a head coach anywhere again. (To say nothing of his recruiting violations). It was an embarrassment to college football and the program still hasn’t recovered from it. They had recruited some talented players and some other good coaches on the staff including the current coach of the raiders. But yeah.. team was generally a disaster. Wouldn’t take his performance at asu as anymore meaningful than the Red Sox spring training games tbh.

Could very well be maye ends up with a better career than Daniels. It happens all the time, but tough to write off all the scouts as idiots when they have ways of breaking down game films and footage we don’t even have access to. That seems a bit silly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 11:26:41 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 01:55:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I wouldn’t expect anyone to give up what the 49ers did to move from #12 to #3. They were in a unique position being a contender that lacked a quarterback. Jimmy G was fragile and looked like just another guy. Taking a gamble on Trey Lance turned out to be foolish, because he’s been more fragile than Jimmy and he didn’t get a second chance after the emergence of Brock Purdy.

That’s going to serve as a warning to other teams. Why throw away picks when quarterbacks are a gamble and you can find one later in the draft.

The situation just isn’t the same this year. Teams desperate for a quarterback this year are already in position to take one early, and there’s not a contender that needs a quarterback now that Pittsburgh signed Wilson. And they’re not really a contender although they are trying hard to convince themselves. Dallas is the closest to that scenario and they just traded a 4th for Trey Lance.

Someone might want to move up, like Denver, but it won’t be for a 2021 type haul.

I know the Giants at 6 have been looking to move into the top 3.   

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 08:57:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I know the Giants at 6 have been looking to move into the top 3.
If the Pats do that, they should then look to move back again and just keep stocking up on picks.  I do think the best call is to take the QB at 3, especially with how crappy next year's QB draft is looking, but if the Giants blow them away, I think you'd have to consider it as that still sets them up to get a great OT or DL and the extra picks they'd get from the Giants.