Author Topic: If Kyrie walks to New York, how about Mike Conley?  (Read 4516 times)

If Kyrie walks to New York, how about Mike Conley?
« on: April 11, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I am a Kyrie Irving supporter. I think he's a top 10 player in this league and I hope he re-signs here.

That being said I will also bear no ill will and wish him well if he walks to team up with Durant in New York.

Our core is strong. We have a great system in place. If Kyrie walks we would be losing out on our top 5% potential but it wouldn't be difficult to imagine another All Star Caliber player to come in here and put us right back on track to compete for a championship year in and year out.

My question is this... Is there any player who would be a better option to take the reigns from Kyrie than Mike Conley?

Conley embodies all of our philosophies. He is a high character, team first point guard who shoot's 3's and defends at a high level. Conley, Hayward, and Horford supporting the young explosive wing rotation is a borderline ideal situation for how to construct a balanced roster.
Conley, 31, is coming off one of his best seasons. The Arkansas native averaged 21.1 points and 6.4 assists per game and shot 36.4 percent from three-point range.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830818-mike-conley-says-hes-not-interested-in-grizzlies-rebuild-amid-trade-rumors

He wants to contend and has made his money as at one point the highest paid player in the league so it stands to reason that he might take a discount on his next deal to compete for a championship in Boston. We also easily have the assets to acquire him from Memphis who will be happy to send him East to a contender.

What do you think? If Kyrie walks, how about Mike Conley?

Re: If Kyrie walks to New York, how about Mike Conley?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really like Mike Conley, I wouldn't be opposed to it. But not only is his contract almost impossible to match, but.. He's also going to be 32 soon, and point guards like Conley do not age well considering how much mileage has been on his legs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
If he walks, I think we should halt the trades and signings.  We still have plenty of assets both in terms of players and draft picks.  My guess is we would be able to sign Rozier to a contract similar to what we signed Smart for next year.  We can draft according to our need and make a decision on Horford (if he opts out) and Morris (can we resign him for a non-ridiculous deal).  As for the rest, if they don't spark joy, go Marie Kondo and thank them for their service before letting them go.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd love Conley, but without Horford or Hayward it would be nearly impossible to match salaries.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Excuse my ignorance but if Kyrie's contract was off the books wouldn't there be some way to fit Conley into our cap?

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I echo the sentiment that as lovable as Conley is, he's not worth it given the salary.

If Kyrie leaves, try to find a PG replacement for the full MLE and just move on.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
The numbers simply don't work for Conley.

That, along with his age and injury history, pretty much eliminate him as a possibility for Boston.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
This may be a bit of a tangent, but I had a thought today.  Imagine Memphis jumps up to the top 3 and the Knicks drop to 5.  Could you see Mem taking Morant followed by Memphis/Knicks swinging a deal centered around Conley for the 5th pick?  I think it would have an interesting ripple effect.  A star in place for Durant to team up with.  Kyrie would have more reason to stay put.  Could alter future value of our owed Memphis pick.  Lot of hypothetical dominoes, I know...

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Excuse my ignorance but if Kyrie's contract was off the books wouldn't there be some way to fit Conley into our cap?

Unfortunately, no that isn't possible.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If we signed-and-traded Kyrie to NYK (once he stated he was going there), does that create a large trade exception? Might that fit Conley?

I haven’t kept up on the S&T rules. Would this affect our cap flexibility?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If Kyrie walks to NY.........He’ll be too tired to play basketball!  ;) ;D ;D

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 01:21:39 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

If we signed-and-traded Kyrie to NYK (once he stated he was going there), does that create a large trade exception? Might that fit Conley?

I haven’t kept up on the S&T rules. Would this affect our cap flexibility?

The Knicks have no incentive to do this. Once he opts-out he's a free agent. The Knicks don't have to give up any assets in order to sign him.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 02:15:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I'm pretty sure we could S&T Rozier and/or Morris to a big 1 year deal, and ship them out to match salaries..

Mike Zarren (Saltlover) should reappear soon to sort it all out.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 02:31:47 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If we're to go down a route like that it's much more likely we sign Rozier to a larger deal with the intention of trading him mid season. That way he is the bulk of the salary match

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 03:26:02 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Excellent player, but a bit old and not durable for our current timeline.
I think like we need a younger more potent ballhandler if we want to make some real noise.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."