Author Topic: Celtics (3-1) at Nets (2-0) 10/16  (Read 13857 times)

Re: Celtics (3-1) at Nets (2-0) 10/16
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:18 PM »

Offline phantom

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
C's win
I can't watch the game from Cali.... but, how's Gabe doing with his new found minutes.

Does Tony have his full speed and lift again?

Gabe looked good.  Very smooth and comfortable, very few mistakes.
Tony was, as I said before, spectacular.  The only fitting word.  He was on fire, at one point nailing 3 consecutive jumpers with Carter guarding him (not that Vince is the best defender, I only say that because he was doing it against real competition).
I hate to say it but the way Miles played tonight I don't think he will make the team. He really has done nothing special at all.
They talked to Gorman before the game, and he said he didn't like Darius' chances of making the team, if only because there are already 15 guaranteed contracts.  It's pretty much the only sensemaking answer.  I wish we could give him a go but there's already so much talent.

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Afraid to ask; but why did POB play so few minutes the last couple of games. Was he getting pushed around. Davis will continue to struggle against taller players, is frustrating; but hard to justify both Powe and BBD on a roster.

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Afraid to ask; but why did POB play so few minutes the last couple of games. Was he getting pushed around. Davis will continue to struggle against taller players, is frustrating; but hard to justify both Powe and BBD on a roster.

I'm wondering about this too. Seams like POB burst out of the gates...and then has quieted down.

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Because he's atrocious with his defensive rotations. It might be hard to justify this and that, but an interior defense with Powe and Davis was exponentially better than either of those two paired with POB.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »

Offline phantom

• Oshae Brissett

Pat has been banging down low a little bit more than I expected him to, which is great of course.  I think he picked up a ton of fouls tonight, not sure about the other game.

I like having both Glen and Leon personally..  I mean, there's not really any other pieces we need.  The Celtics are stacked, in my opinion, and I'll take a good character guy like Big Baby over another potentially ill fitting piece any day.

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Because he's atrocious with his defensive rotations. It might be hard to justify this and that, but an interior defense with Powe and Davis was exponentially better than either of those two paired with POB.

I would think it would take him at least half a season to really get the rotations down. Hopefully he'll be ready by the end of the season.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Defensive Rotations can be improved upon. Was just concerned that he was getting pushed around. If he is out of position that can be fixed in time. Remember it took Powe a while.

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 10:31:09 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Pat has been banging down low a little bit more than I expected him to, which is great of course.  I think he picked up a ton of fouls tonight, not sure about the other game.

I like having both Glen and Leon personally..  I mean, there's not really any other pieces we need.  The Celtics are stacked, in my opinion, and I'll take a good character guy like Big Baby over another potentially ill fitting piece any day.

Question for anyone: Have Davis or Powe shown any sort of improved jumpshot? Over the course of last season i saw moments where these guys could hit a mid range shot, and it really opened up the paint. If either of these guys could get a little jumper in their game their value to the team would soar up.

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
To me POB played poorly, and Miles was pretty bad too. Thing with Miles was I couldn't tell if he was just lost (which it looked like) or his legs were bothering him, or he was just sore, not ready to write him off yet, still has time. Last game he had some good defense manuevers but this game he seemed a bit out of it. Pruitt (to me) is like another Cassell, House played very well, and TA was amazing. I don't think Giddens is a good catch at all, when he was fouled he had to be held back, which was ridiculous. Then he slammed the ball down because he was called for a foul, thats just a very immature thing to do. I just hope he can learn NOT to do that, then things would be A-ok. btw Scal had the game of his life tonight (even though he shot about 60 times and made about 3 in)
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2008, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah ... I like the Powe/Davis options, too ... they both bring something different, and do it effectively, though Big Baby is still very immature with his energy .... can't fault him for his enthusiasm, and he'll get it under control. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing POB work the D-League for a little while ... I think it would provide a good vehicle for honing his talents a bit. TP, Phantom.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »

Offline phantom

• Oshae Brissett
Glen supposedly has a shot.  Who knows though.  We've all seen him chuck them up, and it looks nice when it goes in... egh..  Well I don't doubt the guy.  I don't mind if he jacks them up once in a while if he picks his spots.
As for Leon, I'd be just as happy with him underneath the backboard 92% of the time.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Giddens has a solid defensive stance, a very quick sliding and shows enthusiasm defending. On the other side, hard to tell anything, stayed out of the way. That technical foul was uncalled for; we got ourselves two very... spirited... rookies. 

Pruitt is starting to look as a NBA player out there, not only a small smiling kid bouncing a basketball. And yeah, he can play defense. Some notorious rookie mistakes, but I'm liking the kid.

POB won't see much playing time until he learns how to position himself on the side denial, for example. Rotations are the least of his problems for now.

Miles only gets a contract if he's some kind of a long term project. Right now, he can't play and that's awfully evident to my eyes. If anyone he's seeing something different, it really puzzles me.

I like to listen to Marv Albert and Mike Fratello.

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
To me POB played poorly, and Miles was pretty bad too. Thing with Miles was I couldn't tell if he was just lost (which it looked like) or his legs were bothering him, or he was just sore, not ready to write him off yet, still has time. Last game he had some good defense manuevers but this game he seemed a bit out of it. Pruitt (to me) is like another Cassell, House played very well, and TA was amazing. I don't think Giddens is a good catch at all, when he was fouled he had to be held back, which was ridiculous. Then he slammed the ball down because he was called for a foul, thats just a very immature thing to do. I just hope he can learn NOT to do that, then things would be A-ok. btw Scal had the game of his life tonight (even though he shot about 60 times and made about 3 in)

Giddens shows glimpses of brilliance, but you're right ... very susceptable to emotion, and a bit immature, but with the leadership on this team, I think he'll get over that quickly. I really want to see him and Miles develop more before drawing conclusions in their directions. This is going to be a fun young group to watch.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline phantom

• Oshae Brissett
Giddens has a solid defensive stance, a very quick sliding and shows enthusiasm defending. On the other side, hard to tell anything, stayed out of the way. That technical foul was uncalled for; we got ourselves two very... spirited... rookies. 

Haha the kids are entertaining to me.  If anyone can teach them to harness their emotions, you think it might be this guy?
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/065R68vcifb7U/340x.jpg

I'm definitely spamming the thread right now, but I'm oozing with too much optimism to stop..
and gracias for the tp bahk 8)

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 11:20:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tony and House were obviously the difference makers, and we know their capabilities. To me Pruitt was a revelation. I know it's just one game, but he got better and better, as his confidence grew. He has a sweet stroke, 3 point range, very fast, can definitely play PG, with a good handle. And most of all, he is a very good defender. I really was impressed with his play tonight. Especially when the Nets attempted to come back in the 2nd half, he took control of hte game. Nice job. Very nice.