Author Topic: The truth is... we don't need Rondo  (Read 19400 times)

Re: The truth is... we don't need Rondo
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The truth is... we don't need Rondo to play 40 minutes a game. That's the lesson to be learned.
Definitely, he's better when he doesn't have to play massive minutes.

Hopefully Bradley will allow Doc to avoid running him into the ground, though usually its our offensive breakdowns that make Doc put Rondo back in.

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Come playoff time, there's no other I want more on this team than Rondo. "He coasts 50% ofthe regular season." Yeah, that's called pacing himself. See: Derrick Rose. When you're a small guy whose game relies on getting into the paint, your body's going to take a beating.  So he takes it easy sometimes in the regular season. I don't remotely care.

People seem to be griping that he isn't wearing himself out chasing regular season MVP trophies,  I think he'd much rather have a Finals MVP trophy and he knows he has to be healthy to do that.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Keep Rondo, keep this whole team, just move the friggen ball more like last night. You want to have all the members of a team with balanced stats. Scoring, Assists, rebounds. Every team member has to do everything.

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
The truth is... we don't need Rondo to play 40 minutes a game. That's the lesson to be learned.
Definitely, he's better when he doesn't have to play massive minutes.

Hopefully Bradley will allow Doc to avoid running him into the ground, though usually its our offensive breakdowns that make Doc put Rondo back in.

Exactly. I don't want to see Rondo out there for more than 34 minutes a game, unless he has a hot hand. Let him go all out. Give Bradley 25 minutes and fill out the remaining guard minutes with Terry, Lee and Barbosa (combined 37). Maybe 50/50 between Lee and Terry, but I'd like to see some Barbosa too - he's been terrific lately. Maybe Rondo (34), Bradley (25), Lee (18), Terry (12), Barbosa (7)? That might be too low for Terry. Too many parts that deserve playing time so I'd like to see everyone giving maximum effort for a smaller amount of minutes.

I'd consider giving Lee minutes in a small 3 role but that squeezes Jeff to the 4 for minutes and that's unfortunate. Ideally we can trade Terry for a backup big, but we will see. I'd really like to keep Barbosa for his scoring at his salary and 1-year commitment.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We only need him when he his mind is on the ball game and not off in lala land somewhere. 

His play is either terrible or incredible.  Not many games inbetween.   

He needs to stop walking the ball, killing the offense pressure, get the ball in play, don't stand there dribbling for 15 seconds. 

The Celtics ball movement was 1000X better WITHOUT RONDO in lasts nights game...turnovers were down ....

Frankly the Celtics looked better last night without him.

Mainly becasue Rondos lact of energy on defense and inabilitiy focus destroys the team many times.

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »

Offline igorsure

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
We don't need what? After one regular season game? It is just ridicules. I wonder if those "we-don't-need-rondo" people ever see celtics playoffs last few seasons.

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
We don't really NEED regular season Rondo, but playoff Rondo is needed.

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Come playoff time, there's no other I want more on this team than Rondo. "He coasts 50% ofthe regular season." Yeah, that's called pacing himself. See: Derrick Rose. When you're a small guy whose game relies on getting into the paint, your body's going to take a beating.  So he takes it easy sometimes in the regular season. I don't remotely care.

People seem to be griping that he isn't wearing himself out chasing regular season MVP trophies,  I think he'd much rather have a Finals MVP trophy and he knows he has to be healthy to do that.

Bad comparison. Rose is a first option scoring pointguard who plays above the rim. A better comparison is Chris Paul. CP3 paces himself and is still super effective.

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Unless we're trading him for a good point guard *and* a good big man, there's no sense in getting rid of him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
We only need him when he his mind is on the ball game and not off in lala land somewhere. 

His play is either terrible or incredible.  Not many games inbetween.   

He needs to stop walking the ball, killing the offense pressure, get the ball in play, don't stand there dribbling for 15 seconds. 

The Celtics ball movement was 1000X better WITHOUT RONDO in lasts nights game...turnovers were down ....

Frankly the Celtics looked better last night without him.

Mainly becasue Rondos lact of energy on defense and inabilitiy focus destroys the team many times.

I've said that many times. we move the rock better without RONDO.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Unless we're trading him for a good point guard *and* a good big man, there's no sense in getting rid of him.

Agreed, I'm very curious of what we can get for him on the market myself. I wouldn't shop him, but he should have good value out there worth exploring in my opinion.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

Offline Juneauz

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Rondo is the heart and soul of this team.
People are going crazy about AB for a 2 weeks stretch last year, and as much as I love the kid, he hasn't done 1% of what Rondo accomplished for this franchise. Stellar playoff performances, giving his body away for the team through injuries, always standing up for his teammates...I can't believe there's people so ungrateful out there

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
 Spectaculo by Pierce in the Madison, The Truth is impressive, great great great, he dit it again vs Knicks and vs Spike Lee, Pierce is more important than Rondo in the C´s.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I created THIS THREAD last year saying we should trade Rondo because of his immaturity and emotion.  He is far too immature and emotional to be the leader of a title contender.  When the emotion is on and works, he is a superstar, but when the emotion is off he plays poorly, doesn't hustle, is very inconsistent, and finds himself often making stupid decisions (getting T'd up, and sometimes ejected or suspended).  In addition, Rondo also would net the greatest return given his ability, production, and contract.  Thus I'm all for trading Rondo, I just wouldn't move him just to move him, but if Boston could get back good value, I would be all for it.

Something like this 3 team trade would be good for me.

Boston gets Cousins, Robinson, Brooks
Sacramento gets Rondo, Gay, Melo
Memphis gets Evans, Salmons, Bass

So your dementia has clearly gotten worse since this time last year, I see. Because now, you're not only bantering to trade our best player (a top 3-5 PG in the game), but you're concocting deals where Sacramento (the "sellers market" team) is somehow trading Cousins/Evans (at their lowest values) and getting back not just Rondo, but also Rudy Gay???

Take your meds and switch back to CSI reruns, instead of wasting your time "analyzing" NBA games.

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

Really? The same Derrick Rose that got injured because of his Gerald Wallace "crash" style of play is saving himself for the playoffs? Pretty sure the injury from risky play limits him, not his work ethic & coaching.  Look, I agree Rondo is brilliant in the playoffs, and last year may have been the best player in the playoffs, but that doesn't excuse his turning it on/off & bad decision making during the regular season. 

If he is "saving" himself for the playoffs, why does he get triple doubles in almost every regular season game that's nationally televised only to go flat the following night against the bucks or some other "unimportant" team?

I love Rondo, but his attitude really irks me sometimes.  Are you telling me that if Memphis came calling offering Rudy Gay & Mike Connolly for him you wouldn't at least kick the tires? Guess you would hang up the phone.
Truuuuuuuuuth!