Author Topic: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments  (Read 24527 times)

Re: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Gortat had been causing (very real) locker room issues in Washington, so getting rid of him was crucial. In addition to that, Washington aims to make another move or two to shore up it's position as a top East team, so the pick will likely not be top 20 in 2019.

Not at all criticizing the trade (it was solid for both sides, well done), but it's funny how many think Gortat is overrated and now kind of garbage/old, BUT against the C's he seems to look like Prime Shaq  :laugh:

He’s played very well at times this year, but he’s also admitted to playing for stats, has openly mused about being on another team, and is generally seen in DC as the number one problem in their locker room.  In the real world, I would not be remotely surprised to see him traded for a 2019 1st by the deadline.
Is there a team that's going to give up a 1st for him?

No, I mean with a 1st to another team, as in this trade.
I wouldn't waste a 1st to trade him now.  He'll be an expiring contract at 13.5M this offseason and shouldn't be hard to move since he's still fairly productive.

I watch a lot of Wizards games (live in DC).  He’s a huge defensive liability.  The whole team plays inconsistently on that end, but even when they’re locked in as a group he is still terrible.  Gets bullied by the guys who like the post, can’t defensive rebound, can’t protect the rim when the perimeter defense breaks down, can’t switch, and can’t cover bigs on the perimeter.

And his teammates really don’t like him, and he’s upset that Mahinmi makes more to be the backup.  It’s pretty toxic.  If the Wizards were covered like the Cavs, it would be al you’d hear about.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 02:00:29 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Minnesota Timberwolves team statement -

The Wolves organization would like to thank Wiggins, Muhammad, and Teague for their contributions to the team. Wiggins and Muhammad have helped build this team from worst in the league to playoff contender, and Teague has come right in and provided veteran leadership. We would also like to thank the Hornets GM for a great negotiation as well.

That being said, we feel like we couldn’t pass on the possibility of upgrading our roster while getting a potentially very valuable pick in the process. Kemba Walker is an all star caliber point guard, who we feel like meshes perfectly with this roster. Batum should benefit immensely from the extra help on the court and we think he will return to his previous form in a more limited role. Graham provides depth on the wing, and getting a first round pick from a rebuilding team was very important.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 04:34:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Gortat had been causing (very real) locker room issues in Washington, so getting rid of him was crucial. In addition to that, Washington aims to make another move or two to shore up it's position as a top East team, so the pick will likely not be top 20 in 2019.

Not at all criticizing the trade (it was solid for both sides, well done), but it's funny how many think Gortat is overrated and now kind of garbage/old, BUT against the C's he seems to look like Prime Shaq  :laugh:

He’s played very well at times this year, but he’s also admitted to playing for stats, has openly mused about being on another team, and is generally seen in DC as the number one problem in their locker room.  In the real world, I would not be remotely surprised to see him traded for a 2019 1st by the deadline.

I wouldn't waste a 1st to trade him now.  He'll be an expiring contract at 13.5M this offseason and shouldn't be hard to move since he's still fairly productive.

I watch a lot of Wizards games (live in DC).  He’s a huge defensive liability.  The whole team plays inconsistently on that end, but even when they’re locked in as a group he is still terrible.  Gets bullied by the guys who like the post, can’t defensive rebound, can’t protect the rim when the perimeter defense breaks down, can’t switch, and can’t cover bigs on the perimeter.

And his teammates really don’t like him, and he’s upset that Mahinmi makes more to be the backup.  It’s pretty toxic.  If the Wizards were covered like the Cavs, it would be al you’d hear about.
He's still better than Mahinmi. Every Wizards fan should be upset that Mahinmi makes more than Gortat.  Yet another stupid GM move. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:10:29 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Moving this conversation here and contributing:

@rick_bonnell - 0m ago - I'm hearing @Hornets are still very active in the trade market and aren't sold on keeping both Teague and Rubio.  They would like to move at least 1 for a younger PG prospect (or a 1st).  They are also still trying to move MKG and Howard as well, and have received some interest in both.

We can't trade a player we acquired from another team

5. You cannot trade a player you acquired during this mock trade deadline. If you don't want him, you better work a 3-team deal.
Yeah I see that now.  I don't get that rule at all.  And actual teams do that all the time.  Requiring it to be a 3 or 4 team trade allows for trades to fall through you would otherwise do when you could just work a trade out later.  I don't see why I can't trade a player I acquired as long as the real rules are followed, but if those are the weird rules those are the weird rules and I'm stuck with 2 veteran PG's for some strange reason.

It's not at all common for teams to acquire a player and then trade him again the same week during the regular season.  It takes too much time with physicals and what-not for such things to occur.  The only time I can remember such a turnaround was with Austin Rivers, and I'd be very surprised if a physical weren't waived on at least one end of that transaction, if not both (I'd be highly surprised if Doc asked for a physical).  In the offseason you do see it with non-guaranteed contracts -- but again, that's because the contract isn't guaranteed and all sides of the trade are purely being performed for cap manipulation and draft pick purposes (Luke Ridnour being the most famous example).
it isn't a problem. Rasheed was the guy I was specifically thinking of (and I think there have been others) but I looked and it was like 10 days between the trade.  I just forgot the rule and am more upset with myself as I would have tried to make 1 a 3 teamer as I wouldn't have ended with both Rubio and Teague
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:04 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Moving this conversation here and contributing:

@rick_bonnell - 0m ago - I'm hearing @Hornets are still very active in the trade market and aren't sold on keeping both Teague and Rubio.  They would like to move at least 1 for a younger PG prospect (or a 1st).  They are also still trying to move MKG and Howard as well, and have received some interest in both.

We can't trade a player we acquired from another team

5. You cannot trade a player you acquired during this mock trade deadline. If you don't want him, you better work a 3-team deal.
Yeah I see that now.  I don't get that rule at all.  And actual teams do that all the time.  Requiring it to be a 3 or 4 team trade allows for trades to fall through you would otherwise do when you could just work a trade out later.  I don't see why I can't trade a player I acquired as long as the real rules are followed, but if those are the weird rules those are the weird rules and I'm stuck with 2 veteran PG's for some strange reason.

It's not at all common for teams to acquire a player and then trade him again the same week during the regular season.  It takes too much time with physicals and what-not for such things to occur.  The only time I can remember such a turnaround was with Austin Rivers, and I'd be very surprised if a physical weren't waived on at least one end of that transaction, if not both (I'd be highly surprised if Doc asked for a physical).  In the offseason you do see it with non-guaranteed contracts -- but again, that's because the contract isn't guaranteed and all sides of the trade are purely being performed for cap manipulation and draft pick purposes (Luke Ridnour being the most famous example).
it isn't a problem. Rasheed was the guy I was specifically thinking of (and I think there have been others) but I looked and it was like 10 days between the trade.  I just forgot the rule and am more upset with myself as I would have tried to make 1 a 3 teamer as I wouldn't have ended with both Rubio and Teague

TP for being a good sport.

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 08:01:00 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Super interesting move by the group that just posted.
I can't help but think the Bucks made out like bandits but maybe i'm underestimating how much Kawhi's stock as lowered since he's been labeled injury prone.

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not only did the Bucks turn a terrible fit into a great one, but they got great value too when you should have to overpay for a star. Get yourself a Center and the Bucks would be the favorites out of the east. Well done Bucks GM, my favorite move of the mock deadline so far!
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 09:33:37 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Not only did the Bucks turn a terrible fit into a great one, but they got great value too when you should have to overpay for a star. Get yourself a Center and the Bucks would be the favorites out of the east. Well done Bucks GM, my favorite move of the mock deadline so far!

Thanks. I'd like to say it was easy, but orchestrating some aspects of that took some time.
#JKJB

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Ah, I see. I was confused.

The Dallas Mavericks have traded Nerlens Noel to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Abdel Nader, Guerschon Yabusele, and the Boston Celtics 2018 first round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Can we talk about this deal? It's a terrible deal for the Celtics. 2 prospects and a 1st rounder for a guy who couldn't get minutes on the Mavericks? Add into that, he'll be a free agent and the C's will be handicapped with what they can resign him at, meaning he's probably a rental. Unless he suddenly becomes a totally different defensive played overnight, the Celtics might have given up 3 prospects for nothing. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Ah, I see. I was confused.

The Dallas Mavericks have traded Nerlens Noel to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Abdel Nader, Guerschon Yabusele, and the Boston Celtics 2018 first round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Can we talk about this deal? It's a terrible deal for the Celtics. 2 prospects and a 1st rounder for a guy who couldn't get minutes on the Mavericks? Add into that, he'll be a free agent and the C's will be handicapped with what they can resign him at, meaning he's probably a rental. Unless he suddenly becomes a totally different defensive played overnight, the Celtics might have given up 3 prospects for nothing.

Absolutely agree. I wonder if Yabu will be a better player than Noel.

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Nadel will never see many minutes with this Celtics team..Yasbule may never be more than a end of bench player..Celtics 1st will be around 28th or 29th..how many picks that late ever do any good..if u hold onto PROSPECTS and late picks to see if they develop or not, u won't go far
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
When is our final deadline?  The trade deadline?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I have this question as well.

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Nadel will never see many minutes with this Celtics team..Yasbule may never be more than a end of bench player..Celtics 1st will be around 28th or 29th..how many picks that late ever do any good..if u hold onto PROSPECTS and late picks to see if they develop or not, u won't go far

And Noel either plays well for two months in Boston and gets a bigger contract elsewhere, or doesn’t play well and is affordable but not good.

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Deadline is the trade deadline.