Author Topic: Remember when we signed Sam in '07?  (Read 3708 times)

Remember when we signed Sam in '07?
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Are you glad that we signed him instead of GP?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/12/21/payton_wants_to_join_celtics/

Quote from: Marc Spears
Ex-Celtics point guard Gary Payton watched on television from his Las Vegas home Wednesday night as his former team lost to the Pistons. And once Chauncey Billups hit the winning free throws with a tenth of a second remaining, Payton called his agent.

Quote from: Doc Rivers
I loved him, Gary was great. He was a professional. He's a veteran, he knows how to play, and he's tough. So I always liked him and he knows that. That's probably why he wants to come. We had a terrific relationship.

I wonder what happened?

Re: Remember when we signed Sam in '07?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
We won the title, so I'm not going to argue with the Sam signing.  There's no guarantee that we win with Payton, although I think it's very likely that we would have.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Cassell had some decent games here, I thought he could of offered a little more, though.

Anyway, they're both dinosaurs, even in 2007 but my problem with Cassell was that he never passed the ball, and when he did it was usually only to KG. Payton is one of my favorite players, and I think he would have fit just as well, maybe better.

Not that it matters, though.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:55:41 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I loved GP as a Celtic. In 2005 i was CONVINCED that Pierce/Walker/Payton were the next Big 3 AND that Tony Allen was a future All-Star.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:11 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

I loved GP as a Celtic. In 2005 i was CONVINCED that Pierce/Walker/Payton were the next Big 3 AND that Tony Allen was a future All-Star.

The best part about GP coming here was that he was extremely dissapointed when it first went down. Then he actually ended up just loving the passion about basketball in Boston. It always feels good when a fan base can win over a guy who never wanted to be here.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »

Online P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I remember when we just signed Cassell in February 2008 and he hit a dagger 3 against the Spurs in March. Good times.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

The best part about GP coming here was that he was extremely dissapointed when it first went down. Then he actually ended up just loving the passion about basketball in Boston. It always feels good when a fan base can win over a guy who never wanted to be here.

I think it had more to do with his kids being in school, I think. That's why he wasn't happy about the move.

Imagine if that team had those players in their primes, though.. Payton/Davis/Pierce/Walker/Jefferson  :o

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:36:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Imagine if that team had those players in their primes, though.. Payton/Davis/Pierce/Walker/Jefferson  :o
Looks like a team that's allergic to playing interior defense, and has 4 balls too few on the offense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 08:39:21 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Aliens everywhere rejoiced...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."