Author Topic: Portland granted injury exemption, Warriors next?  (Read 2272 times)

Portland granted injury exemption, Warriors next?
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2009/12/17/blazers-to-add-tolliver/

The Blazers have been playing with just 9 players for a couple weeks and were granted an injury exemption and now look to be signing free agent Anthony Tolliver(yuk).

Meanwhile, the Warriors' center and Celtic old friend Mikki Moore has elected to have surgery on bone spurs in his heal and will be hitting the injury list for an extended period of time leaving the Warriors with Vladamir Radmonovic as their starting center.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/17/SPGN1B5LK7.DTL

Apparently, they too will be looking into requesting an injury exemption as well.

My question is I wonder if either team, especially the Warriors, would be interested in trading for some expiring contracts to play through this year with and adding healthy players to their roster while the Celtics take on a healthy role player and an injured diamond with a contract from either team.

There could be countless possibilities for helping the Celtics, both long term and short term, in trading with these teams. Any ideas.

Re: Portland granted injury exemption, Warriors next?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Perhaps Golden State would listen, because they seem to have no clue what they are doing anyways.  However, I do not see Portland giving up value just for a band-aid.  Portland will get most of their players back at some point this year, so there really is no reason to panic...especially since they got the injury exception.  They also have been known lately to be very reluctant to give up their young talent.  Now, if we wanted to give them good value, then I am sure they would listen, but I just don't see a match that works for both teams.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What about:

Boston trades:  Eddie House, Glen Davis, Tony Allen

Boston receives:  Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw

The problem with a deal like this is that it leaves us thin at shooting guard, at least until Daniels comes back.  However, it would get us a backup PG who can distribute and shoot, and it could get us a good backup to Pierce once Outlaw gets healthy.  The trade of course presumes that Portland isn't in love with Outlaw, and that they're not going to bring him back next year.

I'd feel very, very comfortable about a bench of:

Rasheed
Williams
Outlaw
Daniels
Blake

I think the three big concerns would be health, chemistry, and whether we had the money to re-sign Outlaw and Blake next year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Anthony Morrow seems to be in the doghouse out in Golden State with CJ Watson getting a bunch of run at the 2 guard spot. Makes no sense to me. If Randolph is really available and Golden State wants some big bodies, I would send Williams, Baby, Scal and Tony for Randolph, Wright and Morrow.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:57:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
What about:

Boston trades:  Eddie House, Glen Davis, Tony Allen

Boston receives:  Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw

The problem with a deal like this is that it leaves us thin at shooting guard, at least until Daniels comes back.  However, it would get us a backup PG who can distribute and shoot, and it could get us a good backup to Pierce once Outlaw gets healthy.  The trade of course presumes that Portland isn't in love with Outlaw, and that they're not going to bring him back next year.

I'd feel very, very comfortable about a bench of:

Rasheed
Williams
Outlaw
Daniels
Blake

I think the three big concerns would be health, chemistry, and whether we had the money to re-sign Outlaw and Blake next year.

It is an interesting idea, and would set up the team well for getting ready for next season.  The problem is, I think this really hurts us this year.  I think Davis is going to be an upgrade over Williams once he returns, so we would be giving that up.  I also think giving up House AND Allen puts this team in a tough position depth-wise.

But mostly, I just am not confident Outlaw is coming back this season as an effective player.  He is listed as out 3-5 months with foot surgery.  We have all seen how sketchy foot injuries can be, so even if he does come back, I think the chance of reinjuring is huge.  

So given Outlaw's injury, I just don't think they can give up both Davis AND House to get Blake.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Anthony Morrow seems to be in the doghouse out in Golden State with CJ Watson getting a bunch of run at the 2 guard spot. Makes no sense to me. If Randolph is really available and Golden State wants some big bodies, I would send Williams, Baby, Scal and Tony for Randolph, Wright and Morrow.

i think any boston perso would do that in a second. a little more realistically, G.S. would need some other motivation. we could at least just try to go for scal, baby, tony for VladRad and Morrow or Turiaf and Morrow so that Golden State at least has a financial and health incentive to give up talent instead of just a small health incentive to give up a ton of talent. But yeah, for a 24 year old second year player who will rebound a little and is in his second year of shooting well over .400 on threes (on over 4 attempts per game), I'd give up any assortment of expiring deals + Baby and take back a bad contract like vlad's or a decent contract but a guy not in their plans in turiaf.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't think either team will give up a good prospect for a mediocre or worse role player.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The only more or less feasible deal I could see happening would be a Glen Davis for Steve Blake, if Portland is indeed interested in trading him for a big man. Then we could package House with other expirings and a pick for a 4th big. But I doubt Portland would make with the aforementioned deal, unless they really want to trade Blake to force McMillan to play Bayless more, a rationale that seems way far-fetched to me. 

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Do you think GS would really consider something like that? Seems like we'd steal all the talented you with a move like that. One problem though we lose a lot of muscle behind KG, Perk, and Sheed with such a move. I think we need the muscle for the playoffs when we face Orlando.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Do you think GS would really consider something like that? Seems like we'd steal all the talented you with a move like that. One problem though we lose a lot of muscle behind KG, Perk, and Sheed with such a move. I think we need the muscle for the playoffs when we face Orlando.

Sadly, not a chance.  GS might be run by monkeys, but even they wouldn't consider a deal like that.  With the talent the C's are giving up in this deal (or lack thereof), they couldn't get even 1 of those guys.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Update on this in today's Daily Dime:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091119-20/weekend-dime-picking-decade-best

Golden State's Anthony Randolph is indeed available via trade, as numerous reports suggested this week, but NBA front-office sources indicate that the Warriors are trying much harder to move Corey Maggette.

A sure way to snag Randolph, then, would be taking Maggette in the same deal. That's clearly the Warriors' hope.

The issue there, though, is that Maggette has three years left on his contract after this season at $30.8 million, courtesy of one of Chris Mullin's last acts as Warriors GM. A team would have to really like Randolph and believe it can finally reach him to take on Maggette as well, especially in this economy.

Obviously no one is untouchable on a 7-18 team, but sources with knowledge of the Warriors' thinking say that their willingness to move guards Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry and Anthony Morrow has been overstated. None of them are being "shopped," sources said Friday, although it seems safe to suggest that the Warriors would eventually have to part with at least one of them to land the bruising power forward -- such as Carlos Boozer or David West -- they lack and covet.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Update on this in today's Daily Dime:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091119-20/weekend-dime-picking-decade-best

Golden State's Anthony Randolph is indeed available via trade, as numerous reports suggested this week, but NBA front-office sources indicate that the Warriors are trying much harder to move Corey Maggette.

A sure way to snag Randolph, then, would be taking Maggette in the same deal. That's clearly the Warriors' hope.

The issue there, though, is that Maggette has three years left on his contract after this season at $30.8 million, courtesy of one of Chris Mullin's last acts as Warriors GM. A team would have to really like Randolph and believe it can finally reach him to take on Maggette as well, especially in this economy.

Obviously no one is untouchable on a 7-18 team, but sources with knowledge of the Warriors' thinking say that their willingness to move guards Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry and Anthony Morrow has been overstated. None of them are being "shopped," sources said Friday, although it seems safe to suggest that the Warriors would eventually have to part with at least one of them to land the bruising power forward -- such as Carlos Boozer or David West -- they lack and covet.

Interesting. Danny likes Maggette, as we know....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Bos trades Baby, Scal, TA, Giddens and Walker for Maggette and Randolph. It works on the trade machine. Just sayin'...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)