Author Topic: Jonathan Bender is back!  (Read 3736 times)

Jonathan Bender is back!
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Knicks Sign Jonathan Bender
Dec 13, 2009 12:22 PM EST
 New York Knicks President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that free agent forward Jonathan Bender has been signed to a contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. “Jonathan has worked extremely hard in preparing himself for a return to the NBA,” said Walsh. “I know him to be a young man of the highest character from my relationship with him that dates back 10 years to his rookie year and I think he will be a fine addition to our team both on and off the court.”

The Picayune, MS-native was selected out of high school by the Toronto Raptors with the fifth overall selection in the 1999 NBA Draft and was acquired by the Pacers on Aug. 1, 1999 in exchange for Antonio Davis.
Via Press Release.

Really great to see him back or at least attempting to. He had such potential that was squandered due to injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4YXakjlas
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:45:32 PM by Redz »

Re: Jonathon Bender is back!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
That's great to see. Maybe he'll do good and we can sign him next season as our new Leon Powe. Great talent that I hated to see retire due to injuries, so it's cool to see him try again. Maybe he'll do more than DMiles did.. but who knows.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm not sure what he can really do anymore, but even breaking the rotation on an NBA team would be such a great accomplishment. Who knows what his ceiling is, but it reminds me of Grant Hill's come back 3 or 4 years ago after fundementally being out of the league for three years.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Wow.....I'd hate to be a New York Knick fan

Knicks fans have just watched Donnie Walsh take a pass on Allen Iverson, but decides to use that same money on Jonathan Bender???

I guess AI wasn't retired long enough

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I always love a comeback. However, I cant say I am too optimistic after seeing the comebacks of Darius Miles, Jayson Williams and Shawn Livingston the last few years...

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Go get em Jonothan.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have no idea what kind of skills he has now, but if there ever was a player perfectly built for the D'Antoni system, it was pre-injury Bender.  He was basically a 6'11" PG who could shoot from anywhere.  I hope he makes it.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
See this is one of these times I think our whole discussion about having a woman in the NBA comes into play.

I think I'd rather go for a 10 day contract on a girl and see what happens.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
See this is one of these times I think our whole discussion about having a woman in the NBA comes into play.

Why do you say that?  The guy was immensely talented before injuries killed his career.  If he really is healthy, then what makes you think he is not worth a shot?

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I can't imagine Bender being successful on this comeback.

(1) Four years since he played an NBA game. Six years since he played 10 games in a season. Seven games since he played 25 or more games in a season.
(2) It's not like he was an established player before getting injured either. He was an excellent prospect who could never figure out how to utilize his talents. A tweener stuck in between positions. A player without an identity, without an understanding of what makes him successful out on the court.
(3) Bender was more of a small forward or shooting guard back in day. After the injuries and likely decline in athleticism he'll likely be forced to play a big man position. Different responsibilities.

That's way too much to overcome. It's great to see him attempt to comeback ... but I can't imagine him being successful in the attempt.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Why do you say that?  The guy was immensely talented before injuries killed his career.  If he really is healthy, then what makes you think he is not worth a shot?
Well actually I'm not sure that I buy that he is totally healthy. Injuries absolutely riddled his career.

Second it's not me that said this...but..In 2005, Bender was rated by Sports Illustrated as #11 on the list of the 20 biggest busts in modern NBA draft history.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/24/gallery.nbabusts/content.10.html

Statistically he never had a good year, so I also am not sure that I buy that by NBA standards he was ever all that talented either. Maybe in an Eddy Curryish kind of way.

Next I don't doubt that he worked hard to get back, but they all work hard and so do the WNBA girls.

Basically he has a horrid history in this league and I don't think he has a future ahead of him either.

I suppose weirder things have happened, but I don't think they're bringing him back to be a star because he was immensely talented. I think they're bringing him back as a long shot and will put him way back at the end of the bench.

Isiah Rider was immensely talented too and was out of the league before his time and is also trying a comeback.  But I'd rather have a girl than him too. It's a little different because he is 39 I think, but basically I think Jonathan proved he doesn't, or at least didn't for a long time, belong in the NBA so I'd rather see what happens with someone else.

Maybe I'm wrong and he schooled Al Harrington in a work out but if that happened I think they'd tell us.

The Knicks have this weird habit lately of talking with players other teams won't touch with a 12 foot pole like Iverson, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how this works out

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=JonathanBender-080923

This story came out about Mr. Bender about a year ago I think, seems like a good guy.  Donnie Walsh was the one that drafted him in Indiana, and maybe its more of bringing in a character to guy for the bench, less someone who can come in and contribute. 

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Knicks are a team that can take these chances. 

I mean, if he busts, then they Knicks are still the non-playoff team they are now trying to hit big in FA next year.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=JonathanBender-080923

This story came out about Mr. Bender about a year ago I think, seems like a good guy.  Donnie Walsh was the one that drafted him in Indiana, and maybe its more of bringing in a character to guy for the bench, less someone who can come in and contribute. 

I was about to say the same thing.  I don't know about his future, but he seems like an extremely intelligent guy with a great entrepreneur mind.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:34 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

Well actually I'm not sure that I buy that he is totally healthy. Injuries absolutely riddled his career.

Second it's not me that said this...but..In 2005, Bender was rated by Sports Illustrated as #11 on the list of the 20 biggest busts in modern NBA draft history.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/24/gallery.nbabusts/content.10.html

Statistically he never had a good year, so I also am not sure that I buy that by NBA standards he was ever all that talented either. Maybe in an Eddy Curryish kind of way.

Next I don't doubt that he worked hard to get back, but they all work hard and so do the WNBA girls.

Basically he has a horrid history in this league and I don't think he has a future ahead of him either.

I suppose weirder things have happened, but I don't think they're bringing him back to be a star because he was immensely talented. I think they're bringing him back as a long shot and will put him way back at the end of the bench.

Isiah Rider was immensely talented too and was out of the league before his time and is also trying a comeback.  But I'd rather have a girl than him too. It's a little different because he is 39 I think, but basically I think Jonathan proved he doesn't, or at least didn't for a long time, belong in the NBA so I'd rather see what happens with someone else.

Maybe I'm wrong and he schooled Al Harrington in a work out but if that happened I think they'd tell us.

The Knicks have this weird habit lately of talking with players other teams won't touch with a 12 foot pole like Iverson, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how this works out

Name me a WNBA player who is 7'0", 230, athletic and plays like a guard. 

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp:  WNBA players aren't as big, strong or fast as NBA players.  They cannot jump like NBA players.  The NBA game is too physical and violent.  Can you imagine a woman trying to take a charge from LeBron?  Or Dwight Howard?  Heck, even Rondo could do some serious damage. 

I'm not trying to be sexist.  WNBA players are some of the most athletic women in the world, and they're a lot tougher than people think.  The physical difference is just too much.  As of right now, there is nobody in the WNBA or women's college basketball that could ever succeed in the NBA.

Back on topic, though, I wish Bender the best.  He has a unique skillset and I'd love to see him become a success story.