Author Topic: The Real Reason The Lakers Lost to Utah  (Read 6745 times)

The Real Reason The Lakers Lost to Utah
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Utah wore their green uniforms. 8)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: The Real Reason The Lakers Lost to Utah
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:17 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Utah wore their green uniforms. 8)

Haha..TP. LA getting intimidated already...

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
That loss just shows the Lakers are not that great.  They are 3-2 on the road.  Hopefully they'll fall behind us a bit once they start actually playing road games more frequently.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Very good point.  TP.

That and Kobe's incessant need to be some kind of hero.  He lost the game for them.  Congrats Kobe.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Very good point.  TP.

That and Kobe's incessant need to be some kind of hero.  He lost the game for them.  Congrats Kobe.

I'm not surprised. Kobes unwillingness to take a backseat or allow someone else to really shine is one of LA's biggest weaknesses. As long as the shot isn't going to be blocked he'll shoot it, regardless of difficulty. The style of play doesn't work against the C's. A big part of them beating us last year was Kobe uncharacteristically giving the ball to Gasol at late junctions in the game. It's going to take a lot more than a couple of surprise passes this year.

Sidenote: Glad to see Bynum back, I want them to be healthy when we play.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »

Offline BigBaby

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
I actually watched the game. I hate to say it but the Lakers got screwed over. The first half they shot 60%, they outrebounded the Jazz, but they were down by like 6. The reason: 5 fouls called on Jazz, 16 called on Lakers. It was a really ugly game, the Jazz were fouling like crazy they just didn't call it. Anyway, it continued in the second half and you could tell the refs weren't allowing them to make any kind of push. Then Kobe started chucking. Really ugly game.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The real reason was Wes Matthews!

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Kobe shot 7-24...
When was the last time a Celtic took 24 shots?
Paul Pierce 06/07??
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kobe shot 7-24...
Paul Pierce 06/07??
Paul Pierce 4/26/2009 took 24 shots in Game 4 of the Celtics/Bulls playoff series. Of course that game had 2 OT periods.  :P

Ray Allen 4/30/2009 took 32 shots in game 6 of the same series. That game had 3 OT periods.  ;)

If you want the last game a Celtic took 24 shots without OT periods it was 3/17/2009. A game I was actually at on St. Patrick's day in Chicago. Pierce took 24 shots in a loss to the Chicago Bulls.

Note the Celtics lost all three of those games!

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The real reason?

Ouch, my fingie has a boo boo.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 04:32:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Kobe shot 7-24...
Paul Pierce 06/07??
Paul Pierce 4/26/2009 took 24 shots in Game 4 of the Celtics/Bulls playoff series. Of course that game had 2 OT periods.  :P

Ray Allen 4/30/2009 took 32 shots in game 6 of the same series. That game had 3 OT periods.  ;)

If you want the last game a Celtic took 24 shots without OT periods it was 3/17/2009. A game I was actually at on St. Patrick's day in Chicago. Pierce took 24 shots in a loss to the Chicago Bulls.

Note the Celtics lost all three of those games!

He was on pace for about 60 shots 4 minutes into last nights game!
Yup

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I actually watched the game. I hate to say it but the Lakers got screwed over. The first half they shot 60%, they outrebounded the Jazz, but they were down by like 6. The reason: 5 fouls called on Jazz, 16 called on Lakers. It was a really ugly game, the Jazz were fouling like crazy they just didn't call it. Anyway, it continued in the second half and you could tell the refs weren't allowing them to make any kind of push. Then Kobe started chucking. Really ugly game.

I watched the second half, and completely disagree with your observation.  There was a significant stretch when all the calls, really petty ones, went against the Jazz, allowing the Lakers to whittle the lead down from double digits to 3 or 4.  But DW took over, and Kobe could not do the same. 

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

I watched the second half, and completely disagree with your observation.  There was a significant stretch when all the calls, really petty ones, went against the Jazz, allowing the Lakers to whittle the lead down from double digits to 3 or 4.  But DW took over, and Kobe could not do the same. 
I couldn't watch but I just looked at the box score and although that doesn't show everything the Lakers had one more foul but also took 6 extra free throws. It also looks like Boozer was in foul trouble. I can't say just by the box score but I don't think the refs lost them that game

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:03:11 PM »

Offline BigBaby

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9

Exactly you watched the second half. They always even out the fouls by the end of the game, so it seemed like Lakers got more calls the second half but the game was already over in the 3rd. When you call touch fouls on one team the whole game and let the other team get away with murder it changes things. Refs just take one team out of it then clean up the stats by the end of the game. I've been watching NBA games for 20+ years and I've seen these games a lot. The Celtics get screwed over too by the refs. It's part of the NBA.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
That loss just shows the Lakers are not that great.  They are 3-2 on the road.  Hopefully they'll fall behind us a bit once they start actually playing road games more frequently.

this is what i foresee.