Author Topic: The complete "AI to Philly" Saga!! (merged)  (Read 12075 times)

Re: Iverson met w/ Philly today.
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 09:46:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't understand this guy...has he just decided that he doesn't want to ever win anything? It's too bad that his pride cares more about having a starting position than being the best 6th man in the league and winning a championship. I hate seeing a great talent like AI go to waste.
I agree.  Normally a player spends around 5 years establishing himself, then decides it's time to try to win.  AI has been in the league forever and has never reached that stage.  It's kind of sad that his mentality has never evolved since his rookie year.  He still feels he has to prove that he can score more points than everyone else.  But in reality, that doesn't prove anything that he didn't prove 12 years ago.

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
What I don't understand is what people don't understand about this guy.  It's way beyond a Captain Obvious comment to say he's never ever gave a rat's rear end about winning.

First of all, Iverson may be the most grossly overrated player ever in any sport.  He hasn't played, short of cheating passing lanes for steals, a meaningful defensive rotation since he played for Larry Brown...And rarely then.  He really hasn't played consistent defense since he played for John Thompson, the last coach he didn't undermine.  It's easy to be a "warrior" when you only play one end of the court.  It' simply no coincidence that the teams he leaves are always better without him.

If Philly wants to mail in their season to get a few shallow fans in the stands who want to watch 1-on-5 basketball, more power to them.  Just be glad it ain't us.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:38:05 AM by Finkelskyhook »

Iverson has signed with philly!!
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Having been a fan of his as a player , I'm glad he's finally back in the league with an opportunity to go out the right way. With the team that drafted him in the first place. Finally, FINALLY ALL THE "AI TO C's" talk can finally END!!!!

Re: Iverson has signed with philly!!
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's awesome news.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I thought Andre Iguodala was suppose to be their budding superstar..i wonder how  this affect him/his maturation process on the team.According to sources on NBA.tv(David ALdridge) Eddie Jordan is not onboard with this move...AI and the Princeton offense,imagine that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:20:23 AM by housecall »

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
FINALLY ALL THE "AI TO C's" talk can finally END!!!!

That's easily the best part of this news.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just in time to see him play again in Boston!  Luv watching AI play ball.

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is great.  No AI to Boston talk for the next couple months (at least until his act wears thin again and Philly says good bye before his contract becomes guarenteed)

;D

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This is great.  No AI to Boston talk for the next couple months (at least until his act wears thin again and Philly says good bye before his contract becomes guarenteed)

;D

Jeez wd...you'd think with that amount of ill will towards him his name was Doc Rivers or something!

Zing!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

;D

Jeez wd...you'd think with that amount of ill will towards him his name was Doc Rivers or something!

Zing!
You know what the difference between Doc as a coach and AI as a player?

Doc can work with others that can strenghten his weaknesses as a coach and lead a team to a title.

AI can work with himself to try and strengthen his pretty stats while the rest of the team and fans pull out their hair watching the team not win titles.

;)

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I thought Andre Iguodala was suppose to be their budding superstar..i wonder how  this affect him/his maturation process on the team.According to sources on NBA.tv(David ALdridge) Eddie Jordan is not onboard with this move...AI and the Princeton offense,imagine that.
Oh, I heard that Jordan was on board.  True about Iguodala- and Iquodala really blossomed the first time they got rid of AI.  He was just a role player who could dunk when AI always had the ball in his hands.

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Iguodala is.  It will undermine his maturation...And everybody else's. Jordan will have to revert to the Iverson offense.  It will get yet another coach fired.  And another idiot GM who thinks this self-absorbed whiner will fill the seats will sign him.

Having been a fan of his as a player , I'm glad he's finally back in the league with an opportunity to go out the right way.

As I said in an earlier post, there is only one way for Iverson to "go out the right way".  Iverson has shown post-trades that he's capable of playing team-oriented basketball at a high level for 3-5 games before reverting to his normal selfish gunning coach/team-undermining style.  So any team that wants him should sign him to a 10 day contract.  He'll probably actually help a team then.  Then they should cut him and another team should do the same thing.  It could be Iverson's own little narcissist retirement tour.

Re: The complete "AI to Philly" Saga!! (merged)
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Good for Iverson - Philly is the perfect place for him right now.  Hopefully he can make something out of this and redeem himself a bit. 

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
As a Celtics fan, I'm also a big A.I. fan and i'm really happy that he is back in Philly.

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I can't decide whether I'm skeptical or optimistic about AI succeeding. But I do hope that it works out well for him.