Author Topic: NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft  (Read 13834 times)

Re: NFL Draft Predictions
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ellis Hobbs just traded for two 5th rounders.  Wow.

I don't get it.  It's not like that Pats have a ton of depth in their secondary.  For a young starter (25) making reasonable money, I don't understand the deal.

Plus, I like his name. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats turned around and converted the 2 5ths for a 4th which they spent on the lineman from Penn State (Ohrnberger) and a 6th.

Pats had a logjam in the CB position and I think they had doubts about the resignability of Hobbs.  I think the 2 5ths were about fair value for Hobbs.  Obviously, the Pats have to think that Wheatley and Whiite are healthy and ready to contribute.  Springs and Bodden are short term solutions but they will contribute right off the bat and it'll give time for Butler to develop.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm still scratching my head on the Hobbs deal (Hobbs -- on the plus side for you, he will be playing in Philly, which is closer to you anyway  :-\ ).

Maybe Butler will see time as a kickoff returner?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:57:29 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats turned around and converted the 2 5ths for a 4th which they spent on the lineman from Penn State (Ohrnberger) and a 6th.

Nuggest on Ohrnberger courtesy of SI:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/14268.html
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors after his junior and senior seasons.

POSITIVES: Tough, small-area blocker who shows terrific explosion in his game. Fundamentally sound, blocks down well on opponents and plays with a nasty attitude. Keeps his head on a swivel, stays with the action and hits as many defenders as possible off a single snap. Anchors at the point and jolts defenders with good hand punch.

NEGATIVES: Not a dominant run blocker and gets minimal movement. Marginally effective in motion and struggles to hit a moving target.

ANALYSIS: Ohrnberger lacks the classic size and athleticism to be a next level player, but he gets the most from his abilities and has a good understanding of his position. He lacks starting potential, yet he fits in nicely as an NFL backup.

PROJECTION: Seventh Round/Free Agent
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be

Nuggest on Ohrnberger courtesy of SI:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/14268.html
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors after his junior and senior seasons.

POSITIVES: Tough, small-area blocker who shows terrific explosion in his game. Fundamentally sound, blocks down well on opponents and plays with a nasty attitude. Keeps his head on a swivel, stays with the action and hits as many defenders as possible off a single snap. Anchors at the point and jolts defenders with good hand punch.

NEGATIVES: Not a dominant run blocker and gets minimal movement. Marginally effective in motion and struggles to hit a moving target.

ANALYSIS: Ohrnberger lacks the classic size and athleticism to be a next level player, but he gets the most from his abilities and has a good understanding of his position. He lacks starting potential, yet he fits in nicely as an NFL backup.

Interesting to see his draft projection.  Seventh round or free agent?  And to think he's drafted in the 4th.  I like the part of "plays with a nasty attitude" and "hits as many defenders as possible off a single snaps".  Sounds like Logan Mankins type attitude.  By no means am I saying he's the next Logan Mankins, though.  Just the personality.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's interesting to see the selections vs. projections.  For instance, Michael Mitchell, the safety picked in the second round by the Raiders.  Mel Kiper killed them for the pick, saying that Mitchell was his 70th rated safety, and was projected as a 7th rounder.  According to Kiper, he confirmed that assessment with another GM.  Well, according to Mitchell, the Bears had told him they were going to take him in the 2nd if he was still there.

It's just odd.  How can two teams like a guy in the 2nd round, and at least one other team and an "expert" think he's not worthy of a pick at all?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Interesting to see his draft projection.  Seventh round or free agent?  And to think he's drafted in the 4th.  I like the part of "plays with a nasty attitude" and "hits as many defenders as possible off a single snaps".  Sounds like Logan Mankins type attitude.  By no means am I saying he's the next Logan Mankins, though.  Just the personality.

the projections they come up with are awful.  cnnsi projected mankins to be third round.  we got killed when we picked him, everyone thought it was a reach.

PROJECTION: Mid Third Round
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/67218.html

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

the projections they come up with are awful.  cnnsi projected mankins to be third round.  we got killed when we picked him, everyone thought it was a reach.

PROJECTION: Mid Third Round
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/67218.html

I remember that.  At least a couple analysts said they had to look his name up as they'd never heard of him before. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm still scratching my head on the Hobbs deal (Hobbs -- on the plus side for you, he will be playing in Philly, which is closer to you anyway  :-\ ).

Am I the only one who thought Hobbs just wasn't that good of a cornerback? He was great as a return  man but i watched him get beat much more than Id see the occasional acrobatic pick that will keep many thinking he was better than he was.
   Hollywood was given the chance to be our #1 cornerback last year on a depleted secondary that could have really  used him to step up and have that breakout year. The result: 47 tkls 3 picks. Not good enough

I like our group now with Shawn Springs at the 1 and the Pats now can look at one of our many young backs to see who can step up and start.(Butler? Wheatley?)

Unfortunately when it comes to Hollywood Hobbs, all I'm going to remember is him getting torched by Burress for the go ahead score in the Super Bowl 2 years ago

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Am I the only one who thought Hobbs just wasn't that good of a cornerback? He was great as a return  man but i watched him get beat much more than Id see the occasional acrobatic pick that will keep many thinking he was better than he was.
   Hollywood was given the chance to be our #1 cornerback last year on a depleted secondary that could have really  used him to step up and have that breakout year. The result: 47 tkls 3 picks. Not good enough

I like our group now with Shawn Springs at the 1 and the Pats now can look at one of our many young backs to see who can step up and start.(Butler? Wheatley?)

Unfortunately when it comes to Hollywood Hobbs, all I'm going to remember is him getting torched by Burress for the go ahead score in the Super Bowl 2 years ago

the defense generated near 0 pressure last year.  without pressure, cb's will always look bad.  hobbs was flawed, but I think he was still the best cb on our roster (including the new picks and signings).

As for the play against burress - it was 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help.  that's stupid every time.  there was no safety in the middle of the field.  Hobbs guessed it was going to be a slant in.  it went outside. nothing you can do against that.

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 03:41:10 PM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8

the defense generated near 0 pressure last year.  without pressure, cb's will always look bad.  hobbs was flawed, but I think he was still the best cb on our roster (including the new picks and signings).

As for the play against burress - it was 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help.  that's stupid every time.  there was no safety in the middle of the field.  Hobbs guessed it was going to be a slant in.  it went outside. nothing you can do against that.

There is no possible way Hobbs is a better cornerback than proven veteran Shawn Springs. Unless Hobbs has that breakout season we in NE thought he was gonna have the past 2 years Springs is the better call.

It's clear your a Hobbs fan, and thats cool but the Burress play was a highlighted example of Hobbs guessing wrong on a route. He did it constantly

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

There is no possible way Hobbs is a better cornerback than proven veteran Shawn Springs. Unless Hobbs has that breakout season we in NE thought he was gonna have the past 2 years Springs is the better call.

It's clear your a Hobbs fan, and thats cool but the Burress play was a highlighted example of Hobbs guessing wrong on a route. He did it constantly

Shawn Springs is 34.  He hasnt exactly been a dynamic player lately.  if the defensive front 7 cant generate more pressure then last year, I fear for what Springs will look like.  I am not exactly a huge Hobbs fan, but I do think he is better then people give him credit for.  not to mention Ellis's contirbutions in other areas of the game...

As for the burress play - if he had guessed outside (and swiveled his hips accordingly) Burress goes inside and is wide open.  It was a horrible play call to leave it as 1-1 coverage in that play.  You could put any CB in the game in that exact situation, and I bet you they score a td 9 of 10 times. 

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
whatever the case with Ellis, I think this quote probably shows why the Pats were willing to get rid of him.

On whether he is happy about his contract:
“Not at all. It is definitely frustrating when you see guys getting certain amounts of money that you know you can get just as much that you deserve. Especially, some of the situations that I’ve been in as far as playing through injuries, a torn shoulder, a torn groin all of the way throughout the season, and this and that. To take some of the blows that I did from the area and the community and to put it on the line day in and day out when I know some other guys were not doing that and to get the money you get, you are definitely not happy with it.

Sounds like he wants a big money deal.  he wasnt goign to get it here...

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Pats just drafted Jacob Ingram.  not a sexy pick, but he was the top rated long snapper and we lost lonnie paxton to denver in the offseason.

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
whatever the case with Ellis, I think this quote probably shows why the Pats were willing to get rid of him.

On whether he is happy about his contract:
“Not at all. It is definitely frustrating when you see guys getting certain amounts of money that you know you can get just as much that you deserve. Especially, some of the situations that I’ve been in as far as playing through injuries, a torn shoulder, a torn groin all of the way throughout the season, and this and that. To take some of the blows that I did from the area and the community and to put it on the line day in and day out when I know some other guys were not doing that and to get the money you get, you are definitely not happy with it.

Sounds like he wants a big money deal.  he wasnt goign to get it here...

Good point.

Nice to get a long snapper to replace paxton.
Celtics fan for life.