Author Topic: Jrue Holiday  (Read 3571 times)

Re: Jrue Holiday
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 07:38:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Boston get Jru Holiday
Portland get Brogdon, Pritchard & Horford OR TimeLord

Portland would do l this in a second..Pritchard is loved in Oregon, get 2 great bench pieces in Brogdon & one of those 2 but they may buy out Horford

For Boston it would really kill our bench depth plus can Porzingus play a full season..be a hard NO on this deal
Somebody remind me of whether a team can resign a traded player who is released or bought out.  If not, I would hard-swallow and include Timelord in the deal instead. Portland is going young now and would love Timelord.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2023, 07:43:21 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Boston get Jru Holiday

Portland would do l this in a second..Pritchard is loved in Oregon, get 2 great bench pieces in Brogdon & one of those 2 but they may buy out Horford

For Boston it would really kill our bench depth plus can Porzingus play a full season..be a hard NO on this deal
Portland isn't doing that deal.  They are going to want picks for Holiday.  Pritchard is just a bench player.  His being from Oregon won't mean squat to Portland. 

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 07:46:28 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Boston get Jru Holiday

Somebody remind me of whether a team can resign a traded player who is released or bought out.  If not, I would hard-swallow and include Timelord in the deal instead. Portland is going young now and would love Timelord.
You have to wait a year to re-acquire the player. 

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2023, 08:01:07 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Portland wants picks and a young player...that screams all those picks Boston has and Rob.

But I do not think Boston even sniffs this. Boston seems to be content with what they have and Brad doesn't see like the person to tinker this close to the season. The roster is pretty much set:

White,
Brogdon,
 PP
Brown
JT
KP
AL
Rob
Hauser
Stevens
Kornet
Svi
Walsh
Brissett
Banton
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 08:06:53 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 08:07:19 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I like Jrue in a vacuum but not at the cost of losing someone like Horford or Timelord. Both of those guys have flaws (age/injuries) but that would leave big man depth so depleted. If Holiday were to get bought out? Absolutely. Not sure it makes sense to trade Brogdon + one of Horford/Williams for a 33 year old PG.

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2023, 08:26:32 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Since they just got Ayton in the trade, why would they want Rob? So if you go with Brogdon, PP, and they buy out Al, they end up with 2 guards. One is injured yet again and the other hasn’t really shown he’s a legitimate bench player. Now you have to add a number of picks. I’m not thinking this trade makes sense for either team.

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think the issue with Jrue Holiday is that he is set to make about $35M in 2023-24 and then has a player option after that.  It isn't so much that he isn't worth the contract but that value makes a trade hard, at least for the Celtics.  The Celtics would really need to give up a lot.

We are already top heavy due to contracts and tracking to be even worse next season.  Our top 3 guys make a lot of money which means the Celtics have a lot less to spend on players 4-15.  Right now, we have a couple of key guys at around $20M (Brogdon and White) and a couple around $10M (Williams and Horford).  All the rest are min contracts or rookie deals.  Holiday would make us even more top heavy.  I am not sure that makes us better.

In any case, I see no need for Holiday and I see no framework for a sensible trade.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2023, 08:39:41 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
He's 33 so definitely on the backside of his career.

That said, more than like needs to be a three way, Clips, Pacers maybe with Brogdon going out.

I've seen a variety of rumors and trade ideas already, none really jump off at me and say, absolutely!

I think the Clippers get involved, they wanted Brogdon over the summer.  I just hope Brad doesn't give up too many 1st's to make this happen.  We all know, he loves trading them!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2023, 08:52:25 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
https://x.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1707194768361443831?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Not a big surprise, but I’ve been told the Celtics are expected to explore the possibility of trading for Jrue Holiday.

Interesting. Himmelsbach is pretty plugged into the C’s. Still don’t see it getting done given what we’d have to give up, unless we also got a big back.

The Celtics here are just trying to raise the bidding for their more desperate rivals, such as the 76ers.

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2023, 09:30:47 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Boston get Jru Holiday

You have to wait a year to re-acquire the player.

Or they have to be traded a second time before being bought out. I don't see that happening here, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2023, 09:47:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think the issue with Jrue Holiday is that he is set to make about $35M in 2023-24 and then has a player option after that.  It isn't so much that he isn't worth the contract but that value makes a trade hard, at least for the Celtics.  The Celtics would really need to give up a lot.

We are already top heavy due to contracts and tracking to be even worse next season.  Our top 3 guys make a lot of money which means the Celtics have a lot less to spend on players 4-15.  Right now, we have a couple of key guys at around $20M (Brogdon and White) and a couple around $10M (Williams and Horford).  All the rest are min contracts or rookie deals.  Holiday would make us even more top heavy.  I am not sure that makes us better.

In any case, I see no need for Holiday and I see no framework for a sensible trade.
TP, great post. $35M is just too much with Tatum's new super-max contract coming up and JB locked in to a max.

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2023, 10:17:54 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't really see the benefit of adding Holiday if we have to give out Brogdon, PP AND 1 of White/Horford/Timelord in the deal to make it work. That's too much. Unless we're maybe getting back another big man and/or asset(s) in the deal?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
The 76ers should pass on Jrue.

They have huge cap space coming next summer. Stay the course. They can get someone better than Jrue. Jrue is too old, too expensive and fails to perform well in the postseason on a regular basis. He is not a clutch player. He is a choker.

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2023, 12:21:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Yeah, the money is difficult for Boston. I see it as a decision that comes down to Jrue vs Porzingis as the third highly paid guy on the team.

It is too hard to have all four of them. Plus you'd have to gut the rest of the team. You wouldn't be able to afford pricey role players like D White.

And even if you choose Jrue over Porzingis, you then have to find a way to replace Porzingis with a quality starting big man. Not easy.

Difficult trade to make work.

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2023, 01:40:04 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Boston get Jru Holiday

From memory, it’s the same as resigning a traded player (it has to be a year from the day before they can rejoin their original club).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.