Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108139 times)

Re: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]
« Reply #615 on: September 10, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Predict that USA will play Australia in the finals, and it will be a great game.

Before the tournament started, I predicted that Australia would win the championship, based upon how they matched up vs. USA. Hope I am wrong on that. Getting a healthy Tatum back will be important.  Team USA chemistry has improved since that loss.

We beat them by 20 the first game. The second game, I thought Pop was still toying with the lineups and strategies, willing to lose that game to be better later.

He didn't use the small ball lineups against Australia. Weren't we also missing Smart? He would have helped a lot against Mills.

« Reply #616 on: September 10, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jaylen is still a bit too mechanical. His feel for the game needs to further improve.  Someone said (on TV? Here?) that he needs to do a better job of attacking more when the opportunity is there, and attacking less when it is not.  Good point.  He also seems to choreograph his moves, especially when his back is to an opponent, rather than letting the defender's position dictate his next move.  Just an example of what I mean by his "feel."

I agree with this, and it may continue to be a flaw in his game until he gets significantly more experience. But that flaw is endurable when he does so many other things well.

The question is Brown worth keeping if Brown is going to cost the Celts 30m per year?

Buddy Hield is most likely going to get 31.6m per year.

Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray already got 34m per year.

There's just no way Brown will take what Rozier got.

Marcus Smart is only getting 12.5m per year.

Rozier is not even as good as Smart and Rozier got 19m per year.

Jaylen Brown is a very good player, better than Rozier and maybe better than Smart.
The question is he worth keeping at 30m per year when that 30m can be used on another star player or quality big man.

See, that just isn’t how the salary cap works.  If the Celtics let Brown walk next year, they’ll have the nontaxpayer mid-level.  (Depending on a couple of other things, like Enes Kanter’s option and whether the Memphis pick conveys, they might have it anyway).  If the Celtics trade Brown now/this season, they can bring back a little under $11.5 million in salary.  If they sign-and-trade Brown next summer, they could bring back at most $19.5 million in salary.

Maxing Brown isn’t taking up $30 million that you could give to a star.  At most he’s taking up what Terry Rozier got.  The only way you can use $30 million on someone instead of Brown is if you max him now and then trade him for roughly equivalent salary next summer.  If that’s your hope, you should be rooting for a max extension.

You don't understand what I'm trying to say.

I'll simplify.

By January, Theis can be traded.

So the Celts can offer Jaylen, Smart, Theis, trade filler, and maybe a pick for Bradley Beal or Kevin Love.

That's what I'm trying to say.

Instead of giving Brown 30m per year next summer, make a move on or before the trade deadline and get another star player or quality big man.

Since Horford left, the Celts are lacking a quality big man.

Kanter is a proven offensive threat and rebounder, but he's bad on defense.

Rob Williams and Poirier are question marks.

If Kevin Love returns to All-Star form next season, he's the perfect replacement for Al Horford.

Celts are still in win now mode with Kemba and Hayward.

If the Celts were going to play the long game, they should not have signed Kemba.
There were reports that Ainge was willing to start building around Tatum and Brown if Kyrie leaves and AD didn't come to Boston.

« Reply #617 on: September 10, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Jaylen is still a bit too mechanical. His feel for the game needs to further improve.  Someone said (on TV? Here?) that he needs to do a better job of attacking more when the opportunity is there, and attacking less when it is not.  Good point.  He also seems to choreograph his moves, especially when his back is to an opponent, rather than letting the defender's position dictate his next move.  Just an example of what I mean by his "feel."

I agree with this, and it may continue to be a flaw in his game until he gets significantly more experience. But that flaw is endurable when he does so many other things well.

The question is Brown worth keeping if Brown is going to cost the Celts 30m per year?

Jaylen Brown is a very good player, better than Rozier and maybe better than Smart.
The question is he worth keeping at 30m per year when that 30m can be used on another star player or quality big man.

See, that just isn’t how the salary cap works.  If the Celtics let Brown walk next year, they’ll have the nontaxpayer mid-level.  (Depending on a couple of other things, like Enes Kanter’s option and whether the Memphis pick conveys, they might have it anyway).  If the Celtics trade Brown now/this season, they can bring back a little under $11.5 million in salary.  If they sign-and-trade Brown next summer, they could bring back at most $19.5 million in salary.

Maxing Brown isn’t taking up $30 million that you could give to a star.  At most he’s taking up what Terry Rozier got.  The only way you can use $30 million on someone instead of Brown is if you max him now and then trade him for roughly equivalent salary next summer.  If that’s your hope, you should be rooting for a max extension.

I'll simplify.

So the Celts can offer Jaylen, Smart, Theis, trade filler, and maybe a pick for Bradley Beal or Kevin Love.

Instead of giving Brown 30m per year next summer, make a move on or before the trade deadline and get another star player or quality big man.

If Kevin Love returns to All-Star form next season, he's the perfect replacement for Al Horford.

If the Celts were going to play the long game, they should not have signed Kemba.
There were reports that Ainge was willing to start building around Tatum and Brown if Kyrie leaves and AD didn't come to Boston.
Concerned about lack of defense from bigs, proposes trading for Kevin Love.

Not sure if serious

« Reply #618 on: September 10, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'll simplify.

Concerned about lack of defense from bigs, proposes trading for Kevin Love.

Not sure if serious

Love is not as good as Horford on defense, but Love is the better rebounder, scorer, and shooter.

If not Love then Bradley Beal.

You'd be crazy if you don't think Beal is an upgrade.

If the Celts have Kemba, Beal, Hayward, and Tatum, that's the best 1, 2, 3, 4 in the NBA.
That's like Curry, Klay, KD, and Draymond.

« Reply #619 on: September 10, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Love might score more, but he doesn't score better than Horford. Over the last five seasons, Love is shooting 43/38/85. Horford averaged 51/37/79.

There was a day when Love was a really, really good offensive player. I still think he is pretty good, but I don't think he adds as much value offensively as he used to, and I don't think he adds much more than Horford.

On top of that, he's missed almost two full seasons in his career, and has only played in 70-75% of games throughout his career.

I'd love to have him, but the cost just to match the salaries in order to get him would be too much.

Plus, I think that at this point in their careers, Enes Kanter can provide 90% of the offense and 80% of the defense as Kevin Love for 20% of the cost.

« Reply #620 on: September 10, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, enough with the talk of Jaylen's and Boston's future in this thread. I think taking this subject across three threads is quite enough. Back onto the subject of the World Cup tournament and Team USA.

« Reply #621 on: September 10, 2019, 11:51:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Argentina PG is very crafty. Key is to contain him.

« Reply #622 on: September 10, 2019, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Now they’re saying it’s on ESPN2 tomorrow

https://twitter.com/usabasketball/status/1171630295935700992?s=21

#FIBAWC quarterfinals 👊

🆚 France
⏰ 7 AM EDT
📺 ESPN2

« Reply #623 on: September 11, 2019, 12:03:37 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

#FIBAWC quarterfinals 👊

🆚 France
⏰ 7 AM EDT
📺 ESPN2

DTV has it scheduled on espn news not 2... :-\

« Reply #624 on: September 11, 2019, 12:16:41 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

#FIBAWC quarterfinals 👊

🆚 France
⏰ 7 AM EDT
📺 ESPN2

DTV has it scheduled on espn news not 2... :-\

Yeah ESPN account tweeted ESPNews earlier, now Windhorst and USA Basketball twitter saying ESPN2

Watchespn.com lists it as upcoming on ESPN2

« Reply #625 on: September 11, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Jayson Tatum a game time decision versus France.

« Reply #626 on: September 11, 2019, 07:26:33 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
France's size is giving USA some problems so far.

« Reply #627 on: September 11, 2019, 07:47:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Down 6 at half.

Mitchell 15

Gobert and Fournier with 13

Kemba struggling.

Brown with 7, Smart 5.

« Reply #628 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
France's size is giving USA some problems so far.

True.

Gobert already 9-10 at the FT line at halftime.

« Reply #629 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:53 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Team USA in trouble right now.