Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108604 times)

Re: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]
« Reply #540 on: September 06, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I can't blame them.... The format of the tournament is a joke till the knock outs

Already 4 teams qualified so Sundays games are completely without any purpose.

« Reply #541 on: September 07, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
love watching Marcus Smart guarding Giannis

« Reply #542 on: September 07, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jaylen Brown's been the game's best player by far. A lot of rebounds and points. Good defense against Giannis.

Mitchell and Middleton can't hit a shot, or else Team USA would be up 20.

Pop went extra small Team USA defense has looked really active and aggressive against the Greek Squad.

38-25 at the half.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:26:52 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #543 on: September 07, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
54-37 after the third.

« Reply #544 on: September 07, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
You know, I read an article this week on the Ringer about team USA basketball that called Mitchell the best two-way guard on team USA.

That's bunk. On ball, he can hound defenders. Weakside, he makes some dynamic rebounds and disruptive plays. But man does he have defensive brain farts. Seems like a few times a game he loses his man for a wide open shot.

Whoever said that hasn't watched the games, or he is letting Mitchell live on his reputation, because his actual play hasn't been at that level.

« Reply #545 on: September 07, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Giannis' brother just almost completely took out Barnes on a fast break dunk. It was wreckless -- the kind of play that could have seriously hurt Barnes.

« Reply #546 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Mitchell is a turnover machine.

Brown scored all his 8 points in first half. Played solid defense. Was playing high post 2nd half. Small ball center.

« Reply #547 on: September 07, 2019, 10:13:26 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
69-53 USA wins. Amazing defense until late in the fourth against a good team.

« Reply #548 on: September 07, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Besides Kemba Walker the most impressive player for USA has been Derrick White. Very composed. Almost Clyde like.

« Reply #549 on: September 07, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
You know, I read an article this week on the Ringer about team USA basketball that called Mitchell the best two-way guard on team USA.

That's bunk. On ball, he can hound defenders. Weakside, he makes some dynamic rebounds and disruptive plays. But man does he have defensive brain farts. Seems like a few times a game he loses his man for a wide open shot.

Whoever said that hasn't watched the games, or he is letting Mitchell live on his reputation, because his actual play hasn't been at that level.

Mitchell threw the ball away a lot while I was watching.  Hit some shots too, but the ball seemed to move better when he wasn’t out there.

Jaylen played some outstanding def tonight.  He was playing a lot in the second half as well when he wasn’t scoring as much.  Pop had the team ready to stop the Greek and it pretty much worked.

« Reply #550 on: September 07, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Giannis' brother just almost completely took out Barnes on a fast break dunk. It was wreckless -- the kind of play that could have seriously hurt Barnes.

It looked kind of like a cheap shot.  Def head contact.  Probably a flag 1 in the nba.

« Reply #551 on: September 07, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Mitchell threw the ball away a lot while I was watching.  Hit some shots too, but the ball seemed to move better when he wasn’t out there.

Jaylen played some outstanding def tonight.  He was playing a lot in the second half as well when he wasn’t scoring as much.  Pop had the team ready to stop the Greek and it pretty much worked.

Agree.

Jaylen was playing the role of a big man in Pop's small ball basketball against Greece.

The only negative for Brown in this game is his FT shooting, went 2-4 at the FT line again.

Also, it's looking like Brown is a complementary player.
When he didn't have to make a lot of moves or dribble a lot, he scored.
But when he's asked to create his own shot or make multiple moves, he gets in trouble.

« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Besides Kemba Walker the most impressive player for USA has been Derrick White. Very composed. Almost Clyde like.

It really helps a lot that he's playing for Pop, his coach in the NBA.

Pop also gives him a longer leash.

« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Well he led the team in scoring the last game, he led the team in minutes played, rebounds and played great def this game.  I think that sells him a little short.  He didn't shoot well this game, but he is making a big contribution to the team.

« Reply #554 on: September 07, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Well he led the team in scoring the last game, he led the team in minutes played, rebounds and played great def this game.  I think that sells him a little short.  He didn't shoot well this game, but he is making a big contribution to the team.

But Brown is not a player who you can count on to be a go to guy.

I'm not saying Brown is bad, in fact, Jaylen is very good.
He's just not like Kawhi, Paul George, or Jimmy Butler.

Jaylen thrives when he doesn't have to do a lot.
Like in the 1st half against Greece.
In the 2nd half, Jaylen was a no-show.

The bad FT shooting also doesn't help because his team will suffer if he gets fouled in crunch time.

IMO Jaylen is not a #1 or #2 guy.
He's more of a complementary player, a supporting actor, not the lead actor.