Author Topic: Basketball as we know it, is Over  (Read 5011 times)

Re: Basketball as we know it, is Over
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 02:49:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If the OP is right (IMHO is not btw) then bball will be the least of our problems....

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 07:06:46 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Have already stated Vaccine guarantees nothing. Still have to wear masks, still have to SD even with the Shot.

This is only until the Herd immunity or X% of people are vaccinated.  What is X?  I don't know, but I expect to normalize late 2021 early 2022.  Yep, long time, but I think that's how long it takes.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to work from home, wear my mask when out, get take out a couple times a week to support restaurants, and wait for my time slot to get the Vacc....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Average time to even get a vaccine on line is something like 8-10 years , just to find a cure . Much less get it distributed to general pop.

In other words , it could have been alot worse and basketball might have been off the agenda for a decade.

At least there is light at the end of the tunnel now.

A month or so ago a very important medical breakthrough was found , it got very little press .  Its complex , difficult to understand , but may lead to many medical problems being solved in the next decade with AI and protein folding .  The process It was not supposed to have happen for another 20-30 years , but its here now !  So Science will go to work immediately on solving many riddles in human diseases.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Have already stated Vaccine guarantees nothing. Still have to wear masks, still have to SD even with the Shot.

This is only until the Herd immunity or X% of people are vaccinated.  What is X?  I don't know, but I expect to normalize late 2021 early 2022.  Yep, long time, but I think that's how long it takes.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to work from home, wear my mask when out, get take out a couple times a week to support restaurants, and wait for my time slot to get the Vacc....

Fauci keeps adjusting the number upward, but most recently he said we need to be at 90% immunity.  That seems high to me, but he’s the expert.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hope I’m wrong but think Covid will be here till the end of time..might control it a little like the flu, but it will never disappear
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think it will be another year at most, and most likely what will happen (herd immunity or not) is that most events & gatherings will have something like the "Release of liability, waiver of claims, assumption of risks and indemnity agreement" that you see on the back of every single lift ticket (if you're a winter sports person).

So, just like how you can't sue the resort if you wind up breaking a bone, you won't be able to litigate against the event holder if you end up with COVID.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Eh. It's an overreaction. Pandemics are nothing new and we've always returned to normal.

Just look at Florida with packed bars and arenas. Or this past summer with packed beaches. and this is in the middle of the pandemic. People have short memories and as soon as they are "allowed" to return to normal they will.

Sure some people may not return to normal. But most will

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 09:15:44 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

Fauci keeps adjusting the number upward, but most recently he said we need to be at 90% immunity.  That seems high to me, but he’s the expert.

He also admitted in an interview that he is intentionally bumping the number up because every time he does a higher % of people are willing to take the vaccine

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 09:55:10 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Eh. It's an overreaction. Pandemics are nothing new and we've always returned to normal.

Just look at Florida with packed bars and arenas. Or this past summer with packed beaches. and this is in the middle of the pandemic. People have short memories and as soon as they are "allowed" to return to normal they will.

"Do as Florida Does" is not necessarily a motto worth following in the best of times.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
The same came be said the "doing as Fauci says is not something we should be interested in" in light of how many things that this man has gotten wrong since Day 1

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Funny enough, the fact that sports are still happening worldwide currently, and in some cases with fans in attendance (a cricket match in Australia is allowed to pack 30K+ fans now) makes it feel a bit more "normal" than a lot of other things in life. Such as indoor dining, buffets, shopping, regular visits to the doctor. Basically, nothing is truly going to be normal for a long time.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
The same came be said the "doing as Fauci says is not something we should be interested in" in light of how many things that this man has gotten wrong since Day 1

Shame on you.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

This is what he said:

We need to have some humility here. We really don't know what the real number is. I think the real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent. But, I'm not going to say 90 percent.

It strikes me that his advice about humility is good; more of us ought to heed it, wouldn’t you agree?

At this point only something like 60% of Americans say they’re willing to take a vaccine. If that’s as high as we get everybody will be less safe; even though those who decline the vaccine will be least safe, the economy will be inhibited for everyone for a longer time. 

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

"Do as Florida Does" is not necessarily a motto worth following in the best of times.

You totally missed the point of my post and shot right by it. Nowhere did I say act like florida

The point of this thread is saying life and people will never get back to normal. I said this is proof that once the virus has subsided people will get back to normal because in areas with no restrictions people don't seem to care while we are in the pandemic. You think they will care and stay home when there is no virus? As soon as restrictions are lifted people will get back to normal. People have short memories. Remember when people were afraid to fly after 9/11?

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

You totally missed the point of my post and shot right by it. Nowhere did I say act like florida

The point of this thread is saying life and people will never get back to normal. I said this is proof that once the virus has subsided people will get back to normal because in areas with no restrictions people don't seem to care while we are in the pandemic. You think they will care and stay home when there is no virus? As soon as restrictions are lifted people will get back to normal. People have short memories. Remember when people were afraid to fly after 9/11?

To quote Rainier Wolfcastle, that's the joke.

But to your point, do you remember what flying used to be like before 9/11? It was a very, very different phenomenon.