Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 27929 times)

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2024, 09:41:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555
Raiders getting Bowers at #13 is a steal.

Kid is a stud.
Definitely was in college.  As a Bama fan, I'm glad to see him gone from UGA. 

« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2024, 09:46:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!
At this rate Pick #32 probably won't be announced until midnight...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2024, 09:48:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is wild.

Teams are gonna get ridiculous steals on the defensive side of the ball now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2024, 09:50:32 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Hope Murphy fall Tony’s at 18!! Who-Dey
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2024, 09:57:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Latu is one of my favorite players in the draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2024, 11:45:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555
Did everyone just go to bed?  Great to see Terrion Arnold go to Detroit.  Great talent, great character and great personality. 

« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2024, 12:24:39 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
I get that a franchise in desperate need of a cornerstone QB kind of needs to be looking QB this early in the draft if it's realistic to do so, but I'm just not a big Maye guy.  I feel like the ability to read the field quickly and accurately is almost non-negotiable for a QB to be successful in the league.  The fact that he struggles to do it sometimes at the COLLEGE level scares the hell out of me. 

He has literally every other tool, so maybe he's one of the rare exceptions that can make it work anyway.  We'll see. 

« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2024, 02:21:09 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
With the 2nd pick on Friday night, I wonder what the Pats will do. This has felt like the more likely trade back pick. I hope Adonai Mitchell is available, but Buffalo needs a receiver too. There's also Ladd McConky. I'm sure no one wants to hear this, but there seems to be good value with some of the CB's with first round grades that got passed up. It may not be a bad idea to have two high level young CB's in a passing league. The Pats desperately need a left tackle, but they may be better value with drafting one with their 3rd round pick.

« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2024, 06:26:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1381
Penix to ATL?!

Wow.
Wow is a overstatement!! Pay all that money for Cousins then draft a QB!! Penix won’t start for awhile unless Cousins get hurt..Jordan Love part 2

Their reasoning is they don't expect to be drafting near the top again and needed a QB for after Cousins.

Morris said they believe the Falcons are primed to win right now, which means they would not get another shot at drafting a quarterback of the future this high in the draft again.

"These are not easy decisions -- these are tough decisions," Fontenot said. "But that's who we're thinking about. We're thinking about the fans, we're thinking about this organization. We're going to build a sustained winner. We're going to win for a long time. That's the most important position in football."

Needless to say the Cousins camp isn't that enthused about it. They wanted to draft a player that would make the Falcons better today.

Cousins' agent Mike McCartney told ESPN's Pete Thamel that the Falcons only notified the quarterback that they would pick Penix while the team was on the clock. McCartney said there is frustration and confusion coming from Cousins' camp because Atlanta did not use its first-round pick to make the team better in 2024.

Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot and coach Raheem Morris said Cousins' reaction would remain private.

"He got called on the clock, obviously because of the sensitive time with the issues of what you got going on," Morris said. "It's never a right time to talk to a quarterback about those things. And reactions are always going to be private when it comes to those things, unless Kirk decides to tell you some of those things that are whatever they may be. But he's a competitor, just like us all. And you can always expect those things to go just like you kind of think."

Quotes above from https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40026310/falcons-surprise-select-qb-michael-penix-jr-no-8-pick

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2024, 08:36:52 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
49ers picking a WR so I say one of Samuel or Aiyuk be traded
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2024, 08:51:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Penix to ATL?!

Wow.
Wow is a overstatement!! Pay all that money for Cousins then draft a QB!! Penix won’t start for awhile unless Cousins get hurt..Jordan Love part 2

Their reasoning is they don't expect to be drafting near the top again and needed a QB for after Cousins.

Morris said they believe the Falcons are primed to win right now, which means they would not get another shot at drafting a quarterback of the future this high in the draft again.

"These are not easy decisions -- these are tough decisions," Fontenot said. "But that's who we're thinking about. We're thinking about the fans, we're thinking about this organization. We're going to build a sustained winner. We're going to win for a long time. That's the most important position in football."

Needless to say the Cousins camp isn't that enthused about it. They wanted to draft a player that would make the Falcons better today.

Cousins' agent Mike McCartney told ESPN's Pete Thamel that the Falcons only notified the quarterback that they would pick Penix while the team was on the clock. McCartney said there is frustration and confusion coming from Cousins' camp because Atlanta did not use its first-round pick to make the team better in 2024.

Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot and coach Raheem Morris said Cousins' reaction would remain private.

"He got called on the clock, obviously because of the sensitive time with the issues of what you got going on," Morris said. "It's never a right time to talk to a quarterback about those things. And reactions are always going to be private when it comes to those things, unless Kirk decides to tell you some of those things that are whatever they may be. But he's a competitor, just like us all. And you can always expect those things to go just like you kind of think."

Quotes above from https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40026310/falcons-surprise-select-qb-michael-penix-jr-no-8-pick

That's some next level spin zone by the Falcons there.

« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2024, 09:02:59 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
Penix to ATL?!

Wow.

That's some next level spin zone by the Falcons there.

That has to be one of the worst picks in many years, in terms of roster-building.  Your draft board simply should not contain a quarterback in the 1st round 7 weeks after you’ve signed a free agent QB to a massive deal.  Especially a top-10 pick.  Cousins has to be feeling some serious regret at his free agency decision.

I also think Penix was the wrong QB for Atlanta, but that doesn’t really matter, because any QB was the wrong pick in that situation.

« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2024, 09:12:38 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 596
Not much I can complain about. Getting JJ and Dallas fills 2 of the top 3 needs for minn. I'd been ok with trading up to three, but keeping the future picks isn't a bad result of that not happening.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2024, 09:25:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
The only thing that I can think of with ATL is that they think Penix will be an asset they can trade later.  If Cousins plays all 4 years of his contract, Penix will be 27 by then.  Penix is probably not happy about this either.  He is ready to be an NFL QB, not wait around to get traded or for Cousins to get hurt.  Or maybe they plan to trade Cousins if Penix works out?

I guess it is the most important position in sports, or so they like to say.  So maybe having redundancy or a back up plan will turn out to be smart.

« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2024, 09:52:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
·
9m
Michael Penix Jr. did not take a top-30 visit to Flowery Branch. The Falcons only attended a 45 minute workout and met with him at the Combine.
It’s almost unheard of for a QB taken in the 1st to NOT be on a teams top-30.
In the end, ATL felt comfortable with the work they did.