Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 15166 times)

Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tonight we shined with Smart starting at the 2. The defense and ball flow is clearly better

Would smart be a good move as a starter?

Re: Should Smart start at the 2?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:25:04 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
His defense is obviously a plus, but I actually like his playmaking equally as much. It's a huge asset to have another player out there who can create for others; this is especially true given how much we've been struggling to distinguish roles in the offense. Big fan of the move, but a small sample size to feel conclusive about.

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:25:35 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Permanently? I don't know. But I think we need to try it for another few games (whether Jaylen comes right back or not)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I've been saying he should start for awhile. This game just reinforced that for me.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think so. It’s more his attitude and energy rubs off on the team. Having Brown and Hayward on the second unit only makes that unit stronger. Plus they will get more touches.

Brad needs to get it through the players heads that not starting doesn’t mean you’re not valuable.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Tonight we shined with Smart starting at the 2. The defense and ball flow is clearly better

Would smart be a good move as a starter?

I hope Stevens sticks with this lineup
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Brad needs to get it through the players heads that not starting doesn’t mean you’re not valuable.

I don't think this has been a tough sell to Hayward, but I'm not sure how Brown will react if he's told he'll be coming off the bench when he's healthy.

Smart's defense and secondary ball-handling / play-making really do seem helpful at the moment, though.  Hopefully Brown can buy in if that is what Stevens chooses.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
With Smart you know your gonna get max effort,  he sets a great example for the team to follow  .   Sometimes it pays off if anybody else steps up to help the guy.   

but Smartacus alone is not carrying the team.

Even if he is cold Morris also puts in the work while the rest of them stand around with thier fingers in their crack.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
honestly it might be more fluid that we expect.  Kyrie and Al are the two that really start no matter what.  If Morris keeps playing this well in a starting role, hard to move him back to the bench as well.

When Smart acts more as a distributor he is really valuable to this team.  He is a great passer.  He hit his 3s decently tonight, so his constributions might be a bit more exaggerated than a typical night.

Everyone played pretty well tonight.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't think this has been a tough sell to Hayward, but I'm not sure how Brown will react if he's told he'll be coming off the bench when he's healthy.

There was an article on The Athletic where Morris talked about the tendency of some young guys to hang their heads and that creating an overall attitude problem. If Jaylen was one of the guys he was referring to, then I can see that being a big issue for him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 10:35:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Smart's defense and secondary ball-handling / play-making really do seem helpful at the moment, though.  Hopefully Brown can buy in if that is what Stevens chooses.
winning smoothes over a lot of hurt feelings.

Re: Should Smart start at the 2?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
His defense is obviously a plus, but I actually like his playmaking equally as much. It's a huge asset to have another player out there who can create for others; this is especially true given how much we've been struggling to distinguish roles in the offense. Big fan of the move, but a small sample size to feel conclusive about.

Yeah, while the obvious advantages in defense and overall energy and intensity are obvious, it’s his playmaking that really makes this a good move for me. Until Hayward gets back like himself, it makes a lot of sense to have Smart start to give us that second playmaker, allowing Kyrie to play off the balk a lot like we used to do with IT.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I remember Brad making a big deal of the fact that Alex Cora sat Brock Holt the night after he hit for the cycle vs the Yankees as an example of a team-first attitude. He knew he was going to have this issue. Understandably players are worried about financial impact if they come off the bench, I get that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 10:45:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I didn't see the beginning what was the starting five again guys was it Horford Morris Tatum smart Irving that's what it sounds like.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I didn't see the beginning what was the starting five again guys was it Horford Morris Tatum smart Irving that's what it sounds like.
baynes started at the 5