Author Topic: O.J. Mayo to go #2  (Read 10637 times)

O.J. Mayo to go #2
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This according to Sam Amico.

"The Miami Heat have found a taker in their quest to trade the No. 2 draft pick, a source familiar with the situation told Pro Basketball News. The source did not indicate which team would be the Heat’s trading partner, or what other draft picks or players are involved.

The supposed deal will reportedly be announced during or shortly after the draft. According to the source, the Heat will select USC guard O.J. Mayo and trade him. Kansas State forward Michael Beasley is expected to fall to No. 3 -- although not to Minnesota, which is expected to trade down."

Also,

"Reports say the Timberwolves are aiming to use their third overall selection to land a veteran, or at the very least, trade down and select West Virginia forward Joe Alexander. Expect Milwaukee to get involved in these talks (if it isn’t already). The Bucks are also very high on Alexander and are considering selecing him at No. 8. That is, of course, unless the Wolves get to him first."

Fiction? Or a case of truth being stranger than fiction? Would Timberwolves still trade the pick if Beasley fell to 3? Will Beasely play with a chip on his shoulder should this happen?

Re: O.J. Mayo to go #2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm confused.  I'm far from a draft wonk, but I thought that

- Miami wanted OJ Mayo (or Bayless) instead of Beasley, which is why they wanted to trade down in the first place.

- Beasley would have more trade value than Mayo, so they would get more by drafting him and trading the pick then by doing the same with Mayo.

Oh, and I thought the big knock on Mayo was that he was full of #2, so this move may help his reputation, as well as staving off potential cramping in the future.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Miami trade probably involves the Clippers, who are reportedly very high on Mayo. Wade, Marion, Brand - instant contenders.

McHale must be nuts to pass on Beasley to get Alexander. Who's the veteran he'll get? Curry? Insane. Can't believe this.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Miami trade probably involves the Clippers, who are reportedly very high on Mayo. Wade, Marion, Brand - instant contenders.

McHale must be nuts to pass on Beasley to get Alexander. Who's the veteran he'll get? Curry? Insane. Can't believe this.

Wouldn't Marion have to be involved to make the numbers work? 

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
AS for the actual player picked and traded, it only matters what team made the best offer for the pick. 

This could be a very interesting draft. 

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'll believe it when I see it.  This doesn't make sense on a lot of levels, and I don't have that much faith in Sam Amico.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Wouldn't Marion have to be involved to make the numbers work? 

Good point. I don't know. Blount?

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I believe Celtics' leftovers Blount & Banks would work or possibly a deal involving Haslem and one of those two. But I'm not sure a player can be dealt while he still has an opt-out clause in play? Anybody?

Knicks are another team that reportedly prefer Mayo to Beasley.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stephen A. Smith said on the start of Sportscenter that Miami didn't like Beasley because of immaturity and problem issues where they were afraid of what effect the Miami nightlife would have on the 19 year old millionaire.

He said the Heat felt more comfortable with Mayo as a player because, except for taking money at USC, his background showed to be more appealing to them. He also mentioned that Wade had played and worked out with Mayo and apparently improved of the youngster.

If any of what he said is true, and for all Smith's bluster when giving opinions his true reporting is pretty good, then this trade makes little sense. I would believe something more along the lines of them drafting Beasley and having a prearranged trade in place for who they think will end up with Mayo.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
But I'm not sure a player can be dealt while he still has an opt-out clause in play? Anybody?

According to Larry Coon's FAQ, they can't be.  However, it looks like the Pacers are trading Jermaine O'Neal (who has an ETO), so who knows? 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
But I'm not sure a player can be dealt while he still has an opt-out clause in play? Anybody?

According to Larry Coon's FAQ, they can't be.  However, it looks like the Pacers are trading Jermaine O'Neal (who has an ETO), so who knows? 
If the player declines the ETO formerly before the draft, can that be why it would work?

Obviously Ford is expendable in Toronto considering the Raps have already given Calderon his qualifying offer.

That's funny! I always check the ESPN Free Agent page to keep up with the FA info. O'Neal has been a long time name under the Pacers area with the (ETO) designation.

Now he's not!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Maybe that's why he can be traded. Maybe he's declined the ETO.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

If the player declines the ETO formerly before the draft, can that be why it would work?

That's gotta be it.  If the player's option allows him to decline / waive it prior to July 1, and he does so, he must be able to be traded.  At some point, I'll email Larry Coon about this, but if anybody wants to beat me to the punch, please do so.  He's fairly responsive to emails, from what I understand.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

That's gotta be it.  If the player's option allows him to decline / waive it prior to July 1, and he does so, he must be able to be traded.  At some point, I'll email Larry Coon about this, but if anybody wants to beat me to the punch, please do so.  He's fairly responsive to emails, from what I understand.

I think they only reached an "agreement in principle", but the trade won't be completed till July.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Stephen A. Smith said on the start of Sportscenter that Miami didn't like Beasley because of immaturity and problem issues where they were afraid of what effect the Miami nightlife would have on the 19 year old millionaire.

He said the Heat felt more comfortable with Mayo as a player because, except for taking money at USC, his background showed to be more appealing to them. He also mentioned that Wade had played and worked out with Mayo and apparently improved of the youngster.

If any of what he said is true, and for all Smith's bluster when giving opinions his true reporting is pretty good, then this trade makes little sense. I would believe something more along the lines of them drafting Beasley and having a prearranged trade in place for who they think will end up with Mayo.

Pat Riley is an old fool and I don't trust his opinion much lately. I also don't trust Dwayne Wade. Those two are going to screw up the Heat so bad, it will take 20 years to recover from the damage. Even if they trade and get a veteran, I don't see Wade staying healthy enough to make it through the season. The kid has been injured the last two years and won't take the summer off to rest. I believe in winning the gold, but not at the expense of the NBA team that is paying you millions or the fans that support that team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
McHale is a moron!  How do you give up the chance to team Beasley with Big Al for the next 10 years?