Author Topic: Celtics Report: Green ready for draft  (Read 10436 times)

Re: Celtics Report: Green ready for draft
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 11:34:37 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Trade #30 and #60 with Scalabrine for an expiring contract.

At least get someone who can play. Someone with a heartbeat and at least a little basketball ability. That's more than what Scal gives.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:03 AM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think in the second round to select James Gist if still available.
That would be a good pick if he lasts that long.

Agreed!
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:14:58 AM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
If Roy Hibbert is there at 30 we should grab him. Why is he slipping so far?

limited upside
unathletic

basically the only good thing is his solid post moves and 7'2 size

Is Hibbert really that unathletic.  I tend to see him as a bigger version of Perk.  Perk developed into a solid center after three years of work, Hibbert may need to go the same route.  I would really like to see what Clifford Ray could do with Hibbert.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 08:00:36 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Biggest knock on Hibbert is his work ethic. Then add slow feet, a lack of effort on D and you have a guy that has great size and good potential, but good odds at being a bust also. If we are taking a risk at 30, at least let it be an athletic risk, as that is one of our greatest short comings.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Biggest knock on Hibbert is his work ethic. Then add slow feet, a lack of effort on D and you have a guy that has great size and good potential, but good odds at being a bust also. If we are taking a risk at 30, at least let it be an athletic risk, as that is one of our greatest short comings.

if the above is accurate about hibbert and work ethic, then i dont think danny will be choosing him. once thing danny seems to like in his late round picks is heart and dedication. perk, west, powe, reed, and even big baby all are willing to work hard.

i think danny looks at the late-first round and beyond as a pool of players all of whom have some sort of serious flaw or shortcoming. given that, ainge seems to go for players who will work hard to maximize what talents they do have.

limited talent with a desire to work hard at least may produce a good role player.

limited talent with limited heart produces a wasted pick.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm going to stick to my guns and predict that the C's trade out of the 1st and select Forbes from Umass early in the 2nd with the pick they trade for.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Who has knocked Hibbert's work ethic besides you? I've always read the opposite. And I've never seen any kind of lack of effort on D; he's already a very good post defender and shot-blocker.

Hibbert is already a good enough basketball player, with solid fundamentals. The only thing which really hurts him is lateral quickness. Otherwise, he could be very useful to every slow tempo team in the NBA.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:21 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29

I love Christmas.  I just do, even though I am not a religious soul, I love everything about Christmas.  On the other hand, I could care less about New Years Eve, a total waste of an evening.

Every year the NBA draft has been like Christmas to me.  The anticipation, the planning the build up -- love the draft.  This year's draft feels like New Years Eve.  Christmas was last week.

I couldn't agree more. I love the draft it's amazing. It was especially nice this year to pass the time until the events with a World Championship. (I almost forgot about a draft this year)

As far as it being like Christmas I feel the same way, although I'm not sure how to work Trans Siberian Orchestra or Mannheim Steamroller into the festivities tonight. Maybe some Fresh Aire and Beethoveen's Last Night will have some appropriate tracks.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

At least get someone who can play. Someone with a heartbeat and at least a little basketball ability. That's more than what Scal gives.

I think Scal helped this team a good deal this past year, and he is a good asset to have.

However, I do agree that if they can find a way of packaging him and the draftpick to get either a backup PG or center...or even cap relief, they probably will, and should do it.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I think Scal helped this team a good deal this past year, and he is a good asset to have.

However, I do agree that if they can find a way of packaging him and the draftpick to get either a backup PG or center...or even cap relief, they probably will, and should do it.

Tony Allen, Scalabrine, 30 and 60 for Andre Miller
I dont know if it works salary wise but what do u Think ;)

Did I told u I love Andre Miller
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The 30th pick is the absolute worst pick to have in the entire draft cause unless you get someone good that falls it's the worst player with a large, long, and guaranteed contract. That's why they're always like Euros from Finland or something. It's much better to be picking Big Baby or Pruitt around 32-35 than Pettri Koppen at 30. Because it's so bad it's also hard to move.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
The 30th pick is the absolute worst pick to have in the entire draft cause unless you get someone good that falls it's the worst player with a large, long, and guaranteed contract. That's why they're always like Euros from Finland or something. It's much better to be picking Big Baby or Pruitt around 32-35 than Pettri Koppen at 30. Because it's so bad it's also hard to move.

But u can always find a Varejao or a David Lee exactly at 30

Just playing a little devils advocate, i still like Andre Miller most
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I think Varejo was the first pick in the 2nd round but maybe he was 30 cause the Timberwolves forfeited a pick that year or something. I think Josh Howard was 30 and Tony parker must have been a late as heck pick. I think Perk was 2nd to last so it happens. The only disagreement I have with your statement is the word "always". I'd say "occasionally" but that's just me.

I do agree someone good always gets picked in the 30s

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Philly's got to keep Miller.  He's done nothing but help that team.
Yup

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I guess you have a good point the more I think about it. You could look at it a little more as though if you are going to all just be taking a shot at a kid without knowing what will happen you may as well get the cheapest. Although the 2nd rounders are cheaper.