Author Topic: Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help  (Read 13248 times)

Re: Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:22 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
As I have said elsewhere, I fully expect the pick to be shopped for cash considerations to help offset luxury tax payments or for a future pick(s).

I sort of hate this strategy. Look at where it left the near-miss Phoneix Suns, who are now scrambling for youth, athleticism and trade chips. Even San Antonio, probably ought to have signed Luis Scola and drafted a couple more U.S. prospects. Splitter may never come to the NBA now, maybe that's the start of a trend? Top European teams are increasingly willing to spend to keep their talent. 

Also, I'd think a raw, international player could arguably benefit equally from spending the year with the Celitcs - training camp, practices, scrimmages, locker room and bench during the playoffs. A chance to steal a little of that champion's shine.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
so all of a sudden danny becomes an honest man, huh?  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 07:34:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I have said elsewhere, I fully expect the pick to be shopped for cash considerations to help offset luxury tax payments or for a future pick(s).

I sort of hate this strategy. Look at where it left the near-miss Phoneix Suns, who are now scrambling for youth, athleticism and trade chips. Even San Antonio, probably ought to have signed Luis Scola and drafted a couple more U.S. prospects. Splitter may never come to the NBA now, maybe that's the start of a trend? Top European teams are increasingly willing to spend to keep their talent. 

Also, I'd think a raw, international player could arguably benefit equally from spending the year with the Celitcs - training camp, practices, scrimmages, locker room and bench during the playoffs. A chance to steal a little of that champion's shine.
Won't work. Think money.

Why on earth would the Celtics draft someone at #30 who still has to develop? Why are they going to pay the guaranteed $900K over 3 years that, considering with the luxury tax problem comes out to $1.8 million a year, to sit on the end of the bench to drink in championship shine when they could send him overseas at no cost, have him get valuable experience while he develops and still own his rights?

That's why they would sell the pick or deal it. Unless someone falls that Danny has high on his board and who Danny thinks might be able to give them a little something next year, Danny is going to conserve cash for retaining Posey and maybe House.

Just my humble opinion.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Won't work. Think money.

Why on earth would the Celtics draft someone at #30 who still has to develop? Why are they going to pay the guaranteed $900K over 3 years that, considering with the luxury tax problem comes out to $1.8 million a year, to sit on the end of the bench to drink in championship shine when they could send him overseas at no cost, have him get valuable experience while he develops and still own his rights?

That's why they would sell the pick or deal it. Unless someone falls that Danny has high on his board and who Danny thinks might be able to give them a little something next year, Danny is going to conserve cash for retaining Posey and maybe House.

Just my humble opinion.

TP, my opinion as well. We don't need the pick and I don't particularly want it. I'd rather invest our assets in Posey.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
yep.

In this draft we should do whatever makes it easiest to resign both Eddie and Big Game James.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 07:55:46 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Except cap-wise selling the pick or picking a player to develop over-seas won't directly effect our ability to re-sign Posey or House. (It may matter to the ownership.) It can actually make more financial sense over the long haul, assuming Ainge can find talent. (I think it's there and I think he can.) A third year player on the rookie scale is cheap help. The Suns would've been in better shape over the last three years, with Deng and Rondo on the roster, rather than Banks, and Bell or Diaw (pick one).

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Except cap-wise selling the pick or picking a player to develop over-seas won't directly effect our ability to re-sign Posey or House. (It may matter to the ownership.) It can actually make more financial sense over the long haul, assuming Ainge can find talent. (I think it's there and I think he can.) A third year player on the rookie scale is cheap help. The Suns would've been in better shape over the last three years, with Deng and Rondo on the roster, rather than Banks, and Bell or Diaw (pick one).
Except they are in luxury cap land and everything over the threshold is double. Even the rookie's contract will count toward that figure. If ownership is going to pay double for players over the threshold I am sure they want to maximize the return on their immediate investment by making sure that the money being spent there is being spent on a player high in the rotation and not one sitting at the end of the bench.

Yes they can do both. They can use the MLE on Posey and pay for the rook. But if the rook is going to be doing nothing to contribute, paying $1.8 million a year just to practice him and retain his rights is stupid, dumb business. Sell the pick and use the money toward payment of the luxury tax and offset the cost of signing the rotation players. That's just good business economics.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Trade Scal somehow.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Luxury tax is way underrated. I've read a newspaper article about the Lakers a few days ago, in which Kupchak said that they're not thinking in using their MLE this season due to fiscal reasons. They'll just try to resign their current free-agents and go with the same team.

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Luxury tax is way underrated. I've read a newspaper article about the Lakers a few days ago, in which Kupchak said that they're not thinking in using their MLE this season due to fiscal reasons. They'll just try to resign their current free-agents and go with the same team.

that's why Wyc is the man

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

We can only hope this is the case!  They must have a ton of faith in Bynum coming back
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Except they are in luxury cap land and everything over the threshold is double. Even the rookie's contract will count toward that figure. If ownership is going to pay double for players over the threshold I am sure they want to maximize the return on their immediate investment by making sure that the money being spent there is being spent on a player high in the rotation and not one sitting at the end of the bench.

Yes they can do both. They can use the MLE on Posey and pay for the rook. But if the rook is going to be doing nothing to contribute, paying $1.8 million a year just to practice him and retain his rights is stupid, dumb business. Sell the pick and use the money toward payment of the luxury tax and offset the cost of signing the rotation players. That's just good business economics.

Thats why they pick someone they can store in Europe.  That way they could still have them under their control in a couple years, when the player is more developed, and the C's have a better cap situation, but until then, they are not on the C's payroll.