Author Topic: Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help  (Read 13254 times)

Re: Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ainge also says he hopes to re-sign James Posey, but may not sign all of his current players who are eligible for free agency.

Dear Mr. House, Pollard, Cassell & Brown,

Thank you for all your efforts and please enjoy the ring.

Sincerely,
Danny

Well, that is the letter to Cassell and Pollard.  I think the Eddie House one might be "Dear Eddie, how would you like to try for another win as the 4th guard on a veteran minimum salary next year?"

I think Brown is simply retiring on his own terms.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
One thought; if they did like Hibbert (who, for all of his flaws, seems like he could be a decent backup for Perk and contribute fairly soon), think a combination of #30 and maybe BBD could move us up far enough to grab him?  I don't really see too many players on the roster, other than MAYBE BBD, that Danny would be looking to trade.

While Hibbert seems like he'd be a great guy to get, I'm not sure he's worth BBD.  That's because, if Danny resigns Posey, there is an overwhelming likelihood that a trade involving Powe will have to be made.  I don't think there's any ay the Cs can hold onto both Posey and Powe.  I'd rather keep Posey than Powe to go with PGA and I think it'll cost less to hold onto BBD.

Frankly, packaging Powe with the #30 and moving up into the low teens to grab someone might not be a bad idea.

Mike

Why?  I don't get why you say that re-signing Posey means Powe gets shown the door.  Posey shouldn't be playing at the 4 very much at all; he's playing on the wings, not down inside.

They need to make a decision between BBD and Powe, but I don't see how Posey's sticking around (or not) factors into that at all.  And, I'll take my chances with Powe.

Besides, is there realistically anyone in the late teens that's available that you think would have a bigger impact next year than Powe?  Maybe my judgment is clouded by my man-crush, but he's shown himself to be a helluva banger down low, which is what this team needs.

EDIT: You can put TA's name and address on that letter too, I think.  What are the rules about re-signing him if they don't make the qualifying offer?  I can't see bringing TA back at what, $2.7M, and I don't see it as likely that too many teams are rushing to do a sign-and-trade for him.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
How is this a smokescreen?? can someone explain? I don't see how this could put us in a better position to draft a better player

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
This may be the case, but let's all agree that Danny will never openly tell someone what it truly on his mind. Nobody knows what he's thinking or will do tomorrow night. I think there's as much of a chance we take a ready player as there is of Danny stashing away a Euro and/or trading into the second round to avoid guaranteed contracts.

We'll see.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Last year's draft was considered to be one of the best and deepest in some time before the draft and I think that turned out to be true with players outside the draft lottery positions making considerable contributions to their teams. Like:

#49 Aaron Gray
#35 Glen Davis
#31 Carl Landry
#27 Arron Affalo
#26 Aaron Brooks
#23 Wilson Chandler
#22 Jared Dudley
#21 Daquaen Cook
#17 Sean Williams
#15 Rodney Stuckey

That doesn't even include the fact that there's a good chance that probably 7 of the top 14 players chosen look like they could make at least one All-Star team in their careers. That's a [dang] good draft. Deep.

I think Danny prefaced expectations this year because he feels that there is just not the same quality outside of the lottery that there was last year and that Celtic fans shouldn't expect a #30 pick contributing this year.

And I'd have to agree with him. Unless by some miracle a Brandon Rush or Roy Hibbert or someone like that falls into our laps, the first round pick will not be a contributor next year. As I have said elsewhere, I fully expect the pick to be shopped for cash considerations to help offset luxury tax payments or for a future pick(s).

This year's group just does not impress me nearly as much as last year's group of draftees did. Not even close.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Ainge also says he hopes to re-sign James Posey, but may not sign all of his current players who are eligible for free agency.

Dear Mr. House, Pollard, Cassell & Brown,

Thank you for all your efforts and please enjoy the ring.

Sincerely,
Danny

Well, that is the letter to Cassell and Pollard.  I think the Eddie House one might be "Dear Eddie, how would you like to try for another win as the 4th guard on a veteran minimum salary next year?"

I think Brown is simply retiring on his own terms.

I think you are right about Brown and the tone of House's letter, but I believe the results of Eddie's letter will be the same unless he Schills Danny.

(Wow, did I just make up a new term to describe a player unexpectedly accepting a low ball offer?  The player Schilled ownership and accepted their offer for next year.  To Schill, the act of surprisingly accepting a low ball offer:  The owner of the used car Schilled the potential buyer when he accepted the low ball offer to buy the car)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
This draft you might get a better player at 30 than at 15. Only 4 to 5 guys who look to be solid NBA starter in the draft. I wouldn't give up Powe or BBaby to move down a few spots.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
If this isn't explosiveness I don't know what is...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jj91V1w8KXw

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge doesn't expect to draft a player who can help the NBA champions next season.

The Celtics have the 30th and 60th picks in Thursday night's draft and are in a much different position than they were a year ago after posting the second worst record in the league.

Ainge said Wednesday there are some players he wouldn't select unless they agreed to play overseas and develop for a couple of years. He also said a trade for a better pick would be a real longshot.

At last year's draft, Ainge set in motion the team's turnaround when he dealt the fifth overall pick, Jeff Green, to Seattle for Ray Allen.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20080625/APS/806251048&sectioncat=SPORTS

If we go the Courtney Lee route, I expect him to be a big reason on why we win #18

good to hear, nice find.

in a unrealated question, can we expect a rajon rondo championship year mix on the channel?

love to see a 10-15 mintue vid set to music of his best moments this season (hint hint, nudge nudge to the super talnted video editor :D)

Yes you can expect it.  8)

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Danny just confirmed the obvious. But I think the draft help part may be a smokescreen. Theres a chance Hardin, Walker, Hibbert, Lee or Weaver could contribute next season. Atleast one of them will be there if not more.

I like Weaver better than Lee.

Wait, I thought Danny doesn't use smokescreens?  I've read that somewhere before.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 04:27:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
How is this a smokescreen?? can someone explain? I don't see how this could put us in a better position to draft a better player

Amen!  I don't get the smokescreen angle as well.  He should be INFLATING the value of our pick, in case he wants to deal it, not downplaying it.  I think it's a copout and he's managing fans expectations because he's gonna be driven by avoiding the luxury tax and will either a) trade/give the pick away or b) draft some Euro stiff who will be stashed in Europe and we'll never see in Celtic Green.  Either way, not good.

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25

Why?  I don't get why you say that re-signing Posey means Powe gets shown the door.  Posey shouldn't be playing at the 4 very much at all; he's playing on the wings, not down inside.

They need to make a decision between BBD and Powe, but I don't see how Posey's sticking around (or not) factors into that at all.  And, I'll take my chances with Powe.

Besides, is there realistically anyone in the late teens that's available that you think would have a bigger impact next year than Powe?  Maybe my judgment is clouded by my man-crush, but he's shown himself to be a helluva banger down low, which is what this team needs.

EDIT: You can put TA's name and address on that letter too, I think.  What are the rules about re-signing him if they don't make the qualifying offer?  I can't see bringing TA back at what, $2.7M, and I don't see it as likely that too many teams are rushing to do a sign-and-trade for him.

He was refering salary-wise. It will probably get too costly to keep Posey and Powe. Thats why Posey will have an influence on whether Powe will stay or go. But i agree that Powe is a banger down low and my favorite player (behind BBD of course).
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Of course, when was the last time any team drafting below the top 7 wasn't shocked, shocked, to find a player of such caliber available at their slot?  Then again, Doc's been spoiled now not to want to depend on and be distracted by some rookie trying to gel with his team.  Sounds to me Danny's description may have been intended to show some players' agents that they really mean it about shipping their guy abroad.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't get why you say that re-signing Posey means Powe gets shown the door.  Posey shouldn't be playing at the 4 very much at all; he's playing on the wings, not down inside.

I'd love it if they could hold on to Powe, but I don't think they can afford the luxury tax hit of holding on to both Powe and Posey, especially when you consider that most of Powe's contract will be in the declining years of KG and Pierce.  I think BBD can be an adequate back-up 4/emergency 5, so if they're comitted to resigning Posey, trading Powe now for a 1st round pick this year seems like an obvious possibility.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
I'm not worried at all.  I have total faith in Danny doing the right thing in this draft.  Trading for KG and Ray were big deals, but drafting talent is Danny's best gift.