Author Topic: I'll taaake...  (Read 6492 times)

I'll taaake...
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

Offline NothinButNet

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
DeVon Hardin.  Guy looks like a beast, Perkins with better mobility.  Not very polished offensively, but who needs a scorer at center coming off the bench?  I think we just need someone who can fill Perks shoes.  Plus, he's Powes former teamate, seems like a good guy, and a senior who could have come out last year.  Probably can give us minutes right away.  The other Cal guy Ryan Anderson looks good too...

Re: I'll taaake...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The other Cal guy Ryan Anderson looks good too...

Ya, if you like Austin Croshere!  ::)

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Hardin has bust written all over him.  He is an immensely gifted college senior, who never produced in college.  He seems to be a classic case of an athlete who is not a basketball player.

Ryan Anderson is rumored to have a promise from the Spurs, so he should be gone.

I think all of the big men are projects, so if they are going to take one, they will go with a Euro, so they can develop on someone elses dime. 

If Lee, CDR or Walker is there though, I think the C's might take a look at them.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I like Hardin as well. Seems like a possible Theo Ratliff type player. I never saw him play much, maybe a couple times but I thin he would benefit very much from the extra spacing in the NBA. I see him as a Ratliff/Stromile Swift type of blend and that fairly solid for a backup center I think.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline NothinButNet

• Neemias Queta
Hardin has bust written all over him.  He is an immensely gifted college senior, who never produced in college.  He seems to be a classic case of an athlete who is not a basketball player.

Ryan Anderson is rumored to have a promise from the Spurs, so he should be gone.

I think all of the big men are projects, so if they are going to take one, they will go with a Euro, so they can develop on someone elses dime. 

If Lee, CDR or Walker is there though, I think the C's might take a look at them.

A) Euros are soft.  The last thing I want on our team one of these 7 foot Euro "centers" that are scared to bang down low, and prefer to settle for j's all night.
B) KG... maybe take him under his wing? maybe light a fire under his ass?
C) He's got the tools to be great.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt Perk was anything more than tools when we drafted him.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

A) Euros are soft.  The last thing I want on our team one of these 7 foot Euro "centers" that are scared to bang down low, and prefer to settle for j's all night.
B) KG... maybe take him under his wing? maybe light a fire under his ass?
C) He's got the tools to be great.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt Perk was anything more than tools when we drafted him.

Most of the American big men are soft as well. 

Hardin isn't soft...but he isn't a good basketball player.  Just because he is tall and athletic does not mean he will ever be able to play basketball.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline NothinButNet

• Neemias Queta
I see where you're coming from.  We're just gonna have to let Danny decide.  Best thing about the draft these days is that no matter what, Danny will make a good move.  Garanteed.  We are champs, and somehow, we are going to get better, whether its for the short term or long term.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Whoa there. Just because Gasol is "soft", it
doesn't mean all European players are like him.
Last time I checked, Spain won the FIBA World
Championship. That's hardly being "soft", or is it?

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline NothinButNet

• Neemias Queta

I like to think we don't take FIBA not because American players aren't the best, but among other reasons, because throwing 15 (or however many) superstars together on a team doesn't get it done.  The champs would take FIBA, no doubt  8).

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

I like to think we don't take FIBA not because American players aren't the best, but among other reasons, because throwing 15 (or however many) superstars together on a team doesn't get it done.  The champs would take FIBA, no doubt  8).

I think you're right on that last comment  ;)
The Celtics won because they played TEAM ball.

The Barcelona team was special in so many ways.
A lot of these kids today are just plain spoiled
and they don't have a clue what team ball is about.
And remember, I said a lot, not all  ::)

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »

Offline NothinButNet

• Neemias Queta
But I'm wrong in trying to pin Euro's as soft.  Although I have a hard time thinking of one European bruiser type...can you help me out with that?  But I guess I still have many images of Sasha, Vlad, and Pau fresh in my head.  But I will say that I cannot stand Dirk Nowitzky or any player with a similar game.  If I were a GM I would never bother with a 7 footer that isn't a serious interior presence (in my starting 5 anyway).  As many points as the guy can throw up, I don't think he brings enough intagibles to make a team great.  He gets my official soft lable.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I'd take Nathan Jawai over Hardin. Looks like a better risk....

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
But I'm wrong in trying to pin Euro's as soft.  Although I have a hard time thinking of one European bruiser type...can you help me out with that?  But I guess I still have many images of Sasha, Vlad, and Pau fresh in my head.  But I will say that I cannot stand Dirk Nowitzky or any player with a similar game.  If I were a GM I would never bother with a 7 footer that isn't a serious interior presence (in my starting 5 anyway).  As many points as the guy can throw up, I don't think he brings enough intagibles to make a team great.  He gets my official soft lable.

Here's your bruiser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWkBOyXwAo

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bill Walker

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

Offline NothinButNet

• Neemias Queta
Wow... no lie, I was going to throw his name out as a guess, but I couldn't remember enough about him.  So the next question has to be who is the heir to Arvydas Sabonis' throne?