Author Topic: Celtics shopping pick/Drafting European?  (Read 8534 times)

Re: Celtics shopping pick/Drafting European?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont see how Hibbert drops that far. Scouts wont let a 7 2 280 center fall through their fingers. If he is there at 30 I have to imagine Danny would swipe him up, he better anyway. I'm not very excited about our draft pick this year. I'm pretty sure Danny will pick and overseas player and he wont have any impact this season on our team, and maybe even no impact in the future for this team as many Euro players have done. Danny trading the pick along with Scalabrine for a veteran center makes some sense to me.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Drafting and stashing just sounds like a bad idea to me. I would rather put a guy like Jawai in the NBDL and let him learn the American game then have him beat on Aussies all next year.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Drafting and stashing just sounds like a bad idea to me. I would rather put a guy like Jawai in the NBDL and let him learn the American game then have him beat on Aussies all next year.

Any player we draft I would want here in America. If there's a possibility of whoever we take staying overseas, then I don't want anything to do with him. Come here, play in the NBDL and maybe get some burn with the big boys.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The logic behind stashing is that we don't lose a roster spot for a player we don't need right now. The would allow us to experiment with another undrafted player or vet, like Wallace and Jones last year.

It would also leave an open roster spot for late season pickups.

If we have a player in the NBDL, it costs us a roster spot for someone who might not contribute to the team all season. If they want to stash players, management might be thinking this way.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Yeps, you draft and stash overseas to save a roster spot and a salary - two things you can't do stashing in the the NBDL.

Also, NBDL is a terrible place to develop guys with athleticism but lacking fundamentals like Jaway. The competition is weak and players are more interested in displaying their individual abilities than in playing basketball. That kind of player needs to develop in practice with good coaching.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
According to an NBA source, the Celtics and other teams picking late in the first round of the draft are strongly considering trading their pick or getting a prospect they can develop overseas. Memphis, for one, is trying to trade the 28th overall pick. Don't be surprised if the Celtics are interested in such international players as French forward Nicolas Batum, Congo forward/center Serge Ibaka, French center Alexis Ajinca, Turkish center Omer Asik, and Montenegro forward/center Nikola Pekovic. The source said Batum's stock is dropping dramatically because of heart concerns, for which his workout in Toronto was canceled.

Source: Boston Globe - Marc J Spears

A little extra piece suggesting that Roy Hibbert could possibly be availible at 30...

On Georgetown center Roy Hibbert's draft stock, one NBA scout said, "Hibbert is going to need a parachute on draft day. The young centers have passed him in the eyes of teams. His stock is just plummeting, when last year he could have been a top-10 pick. Guys were able to really get a good look at him last season, and more questions were answered by his performance last year." The scout also said the 7-foot-2-inch, 278-pounder, an Associated Press second-team All-America selection, would likely be available when the Celtics pick 30th. Keep in mind that Doc Rivers knows Hibbert very well, since his son, Jeremiah, played at Georgetown the past two seasons before transferring to Indiana.

regarding the first globe quote, i think it is smokescreen.  i have no doubt danny will draft someone at #30, probably someone who has had a solid NCAA career who can come in and play a few minutes off the bench, and i would be surprised if it is a european who will be "stashed" overseas for years.  i still think it will be Devon Hardin, but have started to think Richard Hendrix is also in the mix.  I know, I know, Hendrix will be another undersized PF, which, with BBD and Powe, is the last thing that the Cs need.  Thing is, from what I have seen, DA likes to draft talent (ie: BPA) and gives little thought to "needs".

regarding the second, heck, if hibbert drops to #30, that will be great for the celtics.  i don't see it happening.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
While #30 is certainly not a glamor pick in any way. We certainly have plenty of guys worthy of taking a flier on at 30. I do agree that Danny will most likely trade 30 and 60 for some combination of second rounders, with Seattle being the most logical partner.

Rumors also have it that Portland is trying to dump every pick they have except the 13. The 33, 36 and 55 are up for grabs. Memphis supposedly has the 28 up for grabs and Washington wants to dump the 18.

Danny has no track record of drafting euro's. I just don't see him changing that trend.

While I do agree that most likely Danny will trade for a couple of second rounders, I would propose going a different way. We have repeat PF's in Baby and Powe. Don't get me wrong I like both, but wouldn't it be to our advantage to attempt to get that 18th pick by offering up their choice of BBD or Powe? This would essentially put us in position to take a choice of Hibbert, McGee, Speights, Hickson, CDR, Chalmers, Lee or a few others. We get rid of a duplicate (and their salary, albeit cheap) To fill a need from a rather large pool of talented players. IMO, Danny should be on the phone.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »

Offline ulan131

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Why do all of you still think we will pick #30? Knowing Danny, I find that hard to believe. #30 will likely be moved for two early 2nd's, and a pick in the #20-25 range will be "bought" which will include #60 and/or one of the 2nd's. If Powe is included, we can go all the way up to #10-15.

Sorry but I really think you're overrated Leon big time. For all the years we were in lotto land..would you really take a 6'8'' PF and the #30 pick for Big Al or any of the other picks we had in that range? What would make a team want to do that? If anything we're going to trade down. The ideal trade to me is #30 and #60 for #32 and #46 (Seattle)

I cant agree more with what should be done with the pick that trade would be great to trade picks 30 and 60 for 32 and 46 i think the celtics would pick up a slasher SG like UMASS' Gary Forbes and then possibly a big man or a point guard to back up rondo

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 04:51:37 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm hoping for Hibbert but i doubt he falls. I dont want to trade Powe either but we might have too.

AND I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THIS VIDEO. I LOVE WATCHING IT!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbbPeSoMJ3Y&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbbPeSoMJ3Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace