Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120438 times)

Re: Chris Sheridan: 0% chance Spurs send Kawhi West
« Reply #330 on: June 18, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The Spurs aren't going to let an almost 70 year old coach who has one foot out the door make such a franchise-altering decision.

I don't believe the "75 cents on a dollar" bit at all. The Spurs aren't stupid. They have to take the best trade available, or not trade him at all. Given how far they are from contending without Kawhi, and that he'll be a FA in a year, which conference he goes to shouldn't even be a part of the decision.

« Reply #331 on: June 18, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Wouldn’t be surprised if Leonard stays with the Spurs

Couldn't agree more. He's probably gone, but we shouldn't dismiss this as a possibility.
I keep wavering back and forth as to what is likely to happen.  There's an analogy to the Kyrie situation in Cleveland in that both made their "trade me" declaration in the face of an upcoming contract decision.  SAS could play hard ball and not trade him but they risk losing him for nothing.  Do I have that right?

« Reply #332 on: June 18, 2018, 10:05:54 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Couldn't agree more. He's probably gone, but we shouldn't dismiss this as a possibility.
I keep wavering back and forth as to what is likely to happen.  There's an analogy to the Kyrie situation in Cleveland in that both made their "trade me" declaration in the face of an upcoming contract decision.  SAS could play hard ball and not trade him but they risk losing him for nothing.  Do I have that right?

Just think there is too much on the table for Leonard to walk.

« Reply #333 on: June 18, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
There is absolutely no way I can envision Leonard ever wanting to stay with the Bucks. Especially Milkuawkee.

Maybe, but remember, according to Woj, Kawhi wants to also be in a place where there isn't too much outside pressure on him (not too much of a spotlight), and with Giannis in MIL, that wouldn't be a problem. Also, who knows, maybe MIL with that team, minus Middleton but + Leonard becomes a Top-3 team in the East that could even make the ECF (if they beat TOR or PHI 2nd round). That could entice him to stay. I agree it's not a likely possibility but MIL themselves could be desperate and may be the team willing to take the risk and give up a good package for it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #334 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah honestly, even with all the reports/rumors coming out, the key here is that Kawhi has not met face-to-face with Pop and the Spurs yet. This is coming from Kawhi's camp (basically his uncle), but ultimately it's Kawhi's decision. I forgot where it came from, but I think former GM David Griffin somewhere even mentioned, "none of this holds weight until Kawhi himself goes to the meeting and looks Pop straight in the eye and says, I want a trade out of here."

« Reply #335 on: June 18, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
This is the part that I don't understand: If Kawhi wants LA (he's from there), won't he eventually get there?

The Celtics could offer the world to SA, but why would it all matter if Kawhi intends to play out his contract and sign wherever he wants.

He already has rings. At this point, he can pick and choose where he will sign soon enough.

If he wants to play for the Lakers, why would the Celtics then be a logical choice? This doesn't make much sense to me.

« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Anything any team gives up for Leonard depends primarily on 1 thing - does he agree to sign an extension?

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
What can the Celtics offer in a trade for Kawhi Leonard? (video+article):

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23826138/kawhi-leonard-trades-boston-celtics-offer

Things to note-
-espn says Celtics don't have any bad contracts, making it a problem to match salary for kawhi
-Espn thinks rozier is worth a "back half" 1st round pick

« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Here's the package they could offer without Brown or Tatum.

Marcus Smart (sign and trade for 12.5 million a year, worth 6.25 in salary as part of this trade)
Terry Rozier
Marcus Morris
Abdul Nader (non-guaranteed)
19 Sac Pick

Given that the Cs have bigger assets (Brown and Tatum), I think the Spurs would want more. That said, if the Celtics didn't have bigger assets, that package is not bad.

That is a two-way veteran role player that would fit the Spurs system really well (Morris scores in the places on the court that the Spurs attack), a All-Defensive talent, a young guard with the potential to be a long-term starter in the NBA, and the 19 Sac pick that could be top 5.

I think you could argue that is better assets than what the Spurs would want from the Sixers (they won't want Fultz because the Spurs were one of the first teams that considered personality as part of their scouting process). Covington roughly equals Marcus Smart (depending on your personal preference), Saric roughly equals Rozier (depending on your personal preference), and the 2018 Sac pick is better than any draft picks the Sixers can offer.

Eastern Teams like the Heat, Cavs, Bucks, Raptors, Pacers, and Wizards can all make an offer with comparable or better rotation players, but worse draft assets.

The Cs are probably in the mix, but the above trade means they have an unbalanced roster and it pushes Brown or Hayward to come off the bench. They'd need to still sign another big (Baynes, Monroe, or O'Quinn) and a couple point guards (Larkin, Evans, etc.).

If Ainge pulls the trigger, I could get on board with it, but I'm completely fine with the current roster next season.

« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:17 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Kawhi was born in LA, played high school ball nearby and played college ball in San Diego. His partner is from there too. It seems like the plan is to force a trade there, with LeBron as the end game.

Ainge isn't stupid. For us, this would be a very high risk situation. Kawhi isn't the type of guy that we could easily get information from, and he certainly isn't someone you could expect to change the mind of easily. Someone who is infatuated with LA isn't likely to come around to Boston.

My guess is that Ainge's goal here is to mess the price up, and possibly get something out of the transaction. Do we really need to take a huge chance on a guy like this when we are sitting in an ideal situation?

San Antonio may not like the idea of Kawhi out west, but they have to start over now for the first time in 20 years. Kawhi could just play out the injury string next year and then leave. His best end game is to clean out LA's young talent and accept that SA won't be contending until LeBron and GS fade. Get Ingram and Kuzma and some picks and call it a day.

« Reply #340 on: June 18, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This went up a couple of hours ago.

What can the Celtics offer in a trade for Kawhi Leonard?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23826138/kawhi-leonard-trades-boston-celtics-offer

« Reply #341 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I HIGHLY doubt they trade Hayward or Irving + Picks for rental Kawhi. Just don't see it.

Now maybe Smart S&T + Morris + Rozier + Nader + 2 Picks (including Kings OR Grizzlies), OR Brown + Rozier + Morris + Filler + Pick(s). Those could get it done but it depends if Ainge wants to take the risk. He'll definitely be doing his homework in the coming days and probably even speaking with Kawhi and the Spurs.

Losing Jaylen or Smart would absolutely suck, but IF Ainge is confident that it's worth the risk and everything seems to check out, I'll trust him, and if Kawhi is truly healthy and committed here, then I don't think you can say no to a trade like that for a guy who is Top-5 in the entire NBA when healthy. Also probably the best (or second best) 2-way player in the league.

« Reply #342 on: June 18, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I HIGHLY doubt they trade Hayward or Irving + Picks for rental Kawhi. Just don't see it.

Now maybe Smart S&T + Morris + Rozier + Nader + 2 Picks (including Kings OR Grizzlies), OR Brown + Rozier + Morris + Filler + Pick(s). Those could get it done but it depends if Ainge wants to take the risk. He'll definitely be doing his homework in the coming days and probably even speaking with Kawhi and the Spurs.

Losing Jaylen or Smart would absolutely suck, but IF Ainge is confident that it's worth the risk and everything seems to check out, I'll trust him, and if Kawhi is truly healthy and committed here, then I don't think you can say no to a trade like that for a guy who is Top-5 in the entire NBA when healthy. Also probably the best (or second best) 2-way player in the league.
Of course we wouldn't trade one of our two best players + more for a potential rental who may never be the same. DA isn't a moron
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Of course we wouldn't trade one of our two best players + more for a potential rental who may never be the same. DA isn't a moron

We won't.

That's why I'm saying the C's and Ainge will play out the process and do their homework on this. Considering it's Kawhi Leonard who is a Top-5 player when healthy, it's worth the trouble to at least explore in depth, but I think the chances a deal gets done is less than 25% to be honest.

Honestly the first thing teams should be looking for (including Lakers) before approaching a trade is all his medical history/info and maybe even discussions with his doctors and medical/training staff. Whatever injury he had kept him out practically all last year. Yikes.

« Reply #344 on: June 18, 2018, 10:59:12 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

DA isn't a moron. He knows that Kawhi wants to play in LA. Why then would he offer SA anything of value?