Author Topic: Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?  (Read 15537 times)

Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Just curious. It seems a lot of the posters I thought would have more by now, do not really have that many. I know I still give 'em out for posts that make me think, for stuff I didn't know and would not be able to Google (like some of the stuff in the Greatest Starting 5 thread - you know, some of the old-timers that actually watched Russell and other greats play and are able to teach me things about those players) or it could be other reasons, like making me laugh or smile. But like I said, I'm just curious.

Re: Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Of course. 

Just wait till the CB draft starts tomorrow.  You will see TPs flying.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yes, but not as much as I used to.  That has more to do with the drama they caused than anything else.  Losing all of them to the Lakers left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as well.

I was happy with the way the "Pledge Your TPs" thread turned out, though, even though I wished for a better result.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Losing all of them to the Lakers left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as well.

Let's just say we sent them to the heavens to be taken care of by Red, DJ and Reggie.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Losing them all to the Fakers was worth it to me. It was just another reminder of the prudence of not gambling, and why I only do it on the rarest occasions now compared to the "old days".

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Yes, but not as much as I used to.  That has more to do with the drama they caused than anything else.  Losing all of them to the Lakers left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as well.

I was happy with the way the "Pledge Your TPs" thread turned out, though, even though I wished for a better result.
props for the 33333, and having 6k+ tps AFTER the loss to the Lakers!

Impressive!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Well I handed everybody I could a TP. When the unspeakable happened on June 17, 2010, and my lucky charms failed me for one of the few times a could remember I gave pause.

Now I start my lucky charm rehab and hopefully that will make the Celtics rebound better. I suspect the O'Neal brothers, KG, and the BBD Pickup Truck Stubby Little ShreQ character will be instrumental in getting rebounds.

And in June 2011 we will be singing a different tune and I finally get to smoke my victory cigars on my boat in Puget Sound under the full Red Auerbach moon (just I like I did in the Back Porch of Q's prarie ranch in Kansas in 2008).
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

props for the 33333, and having 6k+ tps AFTER the loss to the Lakers!

Impressive!

Thanks.  The TPs are a bit (a lot) inflated, but the posts were all me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yup. And about as often as I always did.

It's just I have never been a prolific bestow-er of TPs but neither am I stingy.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I still give TP's for posts that impress me or for posters I feel are worthy at about the same pace as I did before.  I don't always think to tell people when I give a TP.  I just give it. 

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
yep. fun to pass them around. it's not as if they cost me anything or i have to horde them.

heck, i will give a few right now just for fun.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yup, for good points/arguments, and anything that can get me to literally laught out loud.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I was impressed that you and the staff actually kept the TPs gone.  It would've been easy to just say "Just kidding, losing to the Lakers is bad enough, so we won't add insult to injury" and just give them back.  But a bet's a bet, and I'm happy to see the site went through with it, no matter how crazy some of the counts look now.

I haven't been on the site as much lately, but I've been trying to TP the posters who lost most or all of their TPs in that thread, just to get them back up to a more respectable number.  And I always TP posts that make me laugh or make a good point.  Usually don't announce it though.

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i used to hand out a few tommy pts a day to different posts that i thought were worthy, but mostly for posts that made me laugh.

now i rarely hand them out.  dont see the point anymore.  it used to be a fun novelty, but my feelings have changed to now where i dont think, care, or have any feelings about them (both positive or negative).  my involvement and interest with the blog in general has declined over the last few months, especially with the offseason.....so that must have something to do with my outlook on the tp's

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Yup, still the same for me. As a matter of fact, I jsut gave everyone in this thread one.  ;)