Author Topic: Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?  (Read 15524 times)

Re: Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
You know, not that they had a bunch to begin with, but the tommy points kind of lost their meaning with the lakers bet. Before that I thought in a lot of cases if someone had a really good tp to post ratio they were probably contributing in some way to the board. That could be anything from doing the drafts and games, providing cool graphics, links or video or just regularly making strong points in arguments. After some people including myself lost hundreds or more, i think the novelty and noticing peoples ratio was lost. I am still interested in getting my second star, and i never am unhappy when someone gives me one, but i don't monitor or give them out like before...

Well, even before the Laker thing there was a thread where some people were complaining about TPs, and to sort of devalue them the mods pumped a lot of the more frequent posters' counts up.  Every mod and some of the chat guys got boosted to 2500, and some of the more frequent guys got anywhere up to a few hundred extra.  I got like 100 myself this way.  And mods could always give bulk TPs for stuff they liked, trades in the fantasy games, help with the site, etc.  So the "value" was always skewed.

To me though they're worth the same as they always were, which is nothing but goodwill.  But that's enough for me.  They're a nice feature of the site provided they're never taken too seriously.
TP...Here is one example of when i give out a TP,the poster just said close to what i was thinking and probably wanted to get across,also brought me a new thought or idea.Hopefully the posters who sent me the "hater" messages in the past accusing me of padding my tp's by using several accts will read Fairweatherfan's post...you know who you are.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:44:13 PM by housecall »

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
Be aware that not everyone (me for instance) that gives a TP actually writes down that they have done so. You just want to acknowledge a significant point. Rah-rah stuff can be boring but someone making a logical argument can really be interesting.

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If I get them its ok if not its ok, I don't need gold stars like in kindegarten to justify my existence.

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Very cool to hear everyone's opinion on this matter.

Like most of you say, the TP's kind of lost their meaning after many of us were "reset" after that dreadful game. Still, it's nice to hear what everyone is thinking and that Tommy Points are still given out (as goodwill, like fwf said) for posts that stand out in some way.

I don't need gold stars like in kindegarten to justify my existence.

You know, I was at 1800 Tommy Points when we lost to the Lakers and to tell the truth, the more I had, the less they meant (or so it felt). I remember when I got my first Tommy Point around three years ago, it meant the world to me (well, maybe not, but it was a really cool thing). I just feel it's a cool feature, even though it's not as cool as it used to be.

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
It'a nice, when you write something that you think is funny or articulate, to get a TP for that.  Nice to get some positive feedback on things you post.  Other than that, though...  meh.  I give them out if someone says something particularly clever or interesting (or sometimes, just if they agree with me ;)).

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
It'a nice, when you write something that you think is funny or articulate, to get a TP for that.  Nice to get some positive feedback on things you post.  Other than that, though...  meh.  I give them out if someone says something particularly clever or interesting (or sometimes, just if they agree with me ;)).

I agree with everything you said.  ;)

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I agree with everything you said.  ;)

Then where's my Tommy Point?

;)

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Be aware that not everyone (me for instance) that gives a TP actually writes down that they have done so. You just want to acknowledge a significant point. Rah-rah stuff can be boring but someone making a logical argument can really be interesting.

I don't know where my tommy points come from... they have really pumped up this past week. I guess its this thread? Or maybe people like that i have been posting more links.

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Its a cool feature and what I like best about them is you have to watch the games to know what a Tommy Point is.  But I care less about acruing them.

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You know, I was at 1800 Tommy Points when we lost to the Lakers and to tell the truth, the more I had, the less they meant (or so it felt). I remember when I got my first Tommy Point around three years ago, it meant the world to me (well, maybe not, but it was a really cool thing). I just feel it's a cool feature, even though it's not as cool as it used to be.

You're right, there's definitely a law of diminishing returns with these things.

Random story (nothing to do with your post, ACF):  Back in the very old days, when TPs first began, there was another poster (he no longer posts here) who actually argued he was a worthier poster than others because he had more TPs than me.  He and I were neck-and-neck for the TP lead for awhile (we're talking like 50 overall here), and I kept noticing that my TPs were staying level, or even declining.  Fast forward in time until fairly recently, and I was able to see that I was given dozens of negative TPs back then.  I bet, 10 to 1, that it was that poster, trying to keep my total down so he could "beat" me.

The minority of people just take these things too seriously.  Like Redz said, they're just meant as an attaboy, and as a way of making others feel good.  They're not a thing to be hoarded or collected, and certainly not something that people should fight or cheat over.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I actually try to give out alot more now to people who have a low TP count but high post count as they were most likely a TP casuality after game 7 like myself. 
TP welfare?

I don't look at counts when I give TPs. Just the posts.

I don't look at it as welfare.  If I see someone who has a ton of TPs now my guess is they were less likely to risk much if any for game 7 so I might be less inclined to give a TP unless if I really like their post. 
What happened in game 7?

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For me, I think the biggest downer was losing them to the Lakers of all teams. That will hurt until June 2011, for me.

I think they set this blog apart from others. What do the Laker Clowns have?

Kobe points? Nope. West points?

Now - "Magic Points"....I think Silver Screen and Roll could run with that one, IMO. I wouldn't mind being given a "Magic Point".

"Tommy Points" just has a nice ring to it.

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You're right, there's definitely a law of diminishing returns with these things.

Random story (nothing to do with your post, ACF):  Back in the very old days, when TPs first began, there was another poster (he no longer posts here) who actually argued he was a worthier poster than others because he had more TPs than me.  He and I were neck-and-neck for the TP lead for awhile (we're talking like 50 overall here), and I kept noticing that my TPs were staying level, or even declining.  Fast forward in time until fairly recently, and I was able to see that I was given dozens of negative TPs back then.  I bet, 10 to 1, that it was that poster, trying to keep my total down so he could "beat" me.

The minority of people just take these things too seriously.  Like Redz said, they're just meant as an attaboy, and as a way of making others feel good.  They're not a thing to be hoarded or collected, and certainly not something that people should fight or cheat over.

I miss the negative tommy points. i would have just given one out in the iverson thread....

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
For me, I think the biggest downer was losing them to the Lakers of all teams. That will hurt until June 2011, for me.

Now - "Magic Points"....I think Silver Screen and Roll could run with that one, IMO. I wouldn't mind being given a "Magic Point".

Why does the Lakers series have any connection to Tommy Points? Was there some kind of ill-advised TP betting scheme?

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Why does the Lakers series have any connection to Tommy Points? Was there some kind of ill-advised TP betting scheme?

The mods offered all posters a chance to risk tommy points on a celtics championship. If we won we got back double what we bet, if we lost we lost them and didnt get them back. So a lot of the regular posters lost all their points when we lost game seven. In some case people lost thousands. Its a good thing it was just tommy points and not money, although I lost some of that too on the game lol