Author Topic: Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?  (Read 15210 times)

Re: Tommy Points: Do you still hand them out?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
i used to hand out a few tommy pts a day to different posts that i thought were worthy, but mostly for posts that made me laugh.

now i rarely hand them out.  dont see the point anymore.  it used to be a fun novelty, but my feelings have changed to now where i dont think, care, or have any feelings about them (both positive or negative).  my involvement and interest with the blog in general has declined over the last few months, especially with the offseason.....so that must have something to do with my outlook on the tp's

Cosign... nothing against you guys. This offseason is just terrible as far as topics go, and losing my 1K+ TPs to Kobe and crew doesn't make me too happy.

However TP spirit is still alive and well over at the Total Bases Game (Haven't done an advertisement in a while).

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Yup, still the same for me. As a matter of fact, I jsut gave everyone in this thread one.  ;)

Thanks - at this rate I might hit double digits by years' end!

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm giving out less I think. Will likely be giving out more with the draft being on.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Yes, but not as much as I used to.  That has more to do with the drama they caused than anything else.  Losing all of them to the Lakers left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as well.

I was happy with the way the "Pledge Your TPs" thread turned out, though, even though I wished for a better result.

I was impressed that you and the staff actually kept the TPs gone.  It would've been easy to just say "Just kidding, losing to the Lakers is bad enough, so we won't add insult to injury" and just give them back.  But a bet's a bet, and I'm happy to see the site went through with it, no matter how crazy some of the counts look now.

I haven't been on the site as much lately, but I've been trying to TP the posters who lost most or all of their TPs in that thread, just to get them back up to a more respectable number.  And I always TP posts that make me laugh or make a good point.  Usually don't announce it though.

You know, not that they had a bunch to begin with, but the tommy points kind of lost their meaning with the lakers bet. Before that I thought in a lot of cases if someone had a really good tp to post ratio they were probably contributing in some way to the board. That could be anything from doing the drafts and games, providing cool graphics, links or video or just regularly making strong points in arguments. After some people including myself lost hundreds or more, i think the novelty and noticing peoples ratio was lost. I am still interested in getting my second star, and i never am unhappy when someone gives me one, but i don't monitor or give them out like before...

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You know, not that they had a bunch to begin with, but the tommy points kind of lost their meaning with the lakers bet. Before that I thought in a lot of cases if someone had a really good tp to post ratio they were probably contributing in some way to the board. That could be anything from doing the drafts and games, providing cool graphics, links or video or just regularly making strong points in arguments. After some people including myself lost hundreds or more, i think the novelty and noticing peoples ratio was lost. I am still interested in getting my second star, and i never am unhappy when someone gives me one, but i don't monitor or give them out like before...

Well, even before the Laker thing there was a thread where some people were complaining about TPs, and to sort of devalue them the mods pumped a lot of the more frequent posters' counts up.  Every mod and some of the chat guys got boosted to 2500, and some of the more frequent guys got anywhere up to a few hundred extra.  I got like 100 myself this way.  And mods could always give bulk TPs for stuff they liked, trades in the fantasy games, help with the site, etc.  So the "value" was always skewed.

To me though they're worth the same as they always were, which is nothing but goodwill.  But that's enough for me.  They're a nice feature of the site provided they're never taken too seriously.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Since the Lakers loss I've haven't received any TP's but I love this blog, so I'm going to keep on posting until I leave this earth die green go Celts!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I still give TP's for posts that impress me or for posters I feel are worthy at about the same pace as I did before.  I don't always think to tell people when I give a TP.  I just give it. 
ditto
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I still give out TP's pretty freely, but I haven't been on here as much to do so since the Celtics lost in the finals (which coincides with many of us losing our TP's in Roy's TP pledge idea.)  So yes I still hand TP's out, but not as frequently as before (but it's not because you guys aren't all as smart and awesome as always  ;))

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I mostly give them when I read something that makes me laugh (due to intentional humor).

TPs are always meaningful because they show someone appreciated something a poster said. Just don't make it competitive.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I feel like TPs follow "Whose Line is it Anyways?" rules: the points count but they don't matter.  If a guy has a lot of TPs he probably has some good posts, but say one guy has 300 and another has 270... that doesn't really matter at all.  It's not something to take seriously.

But I also haven't been around as long.  That's just how I view it though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I gave one out at the coffee shop this morning.

Right before I choked on a piece of bagel.  Not Heimlich material, but caused quite a scene. Lovely.

I still would like to go TB's idea and switch them from TPs to "Hugs"  :D

I give em, I get em, I just don't count them any more.
Yup

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I actually try to give out alot more now to people who have a low TP count but high post count as they were most likely a TP casuality after game 7 like myself. 

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I still give them out at about the same rate.

I've stopped posting that I've given a TP out for the most part though, unless I'm rather impressed.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I actually try to give out alot more now to people who have a low TP count but high post count as they were most likely a TP casuality after game 7 like myself. 
TP welfare?

I don't look at counts when I give TPs. Just the posts.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
TP welfare?

I don't look at counts when I give TPs. Just the posts.

I don't look at it as welfare.  If I see someone who has a ton of TPs now my guess is they were less likely to risk much if any for game 7 so I might be less inclined to give a TP unless if I really like their post.