Author Topic: Former Cs asst coach Walter McCarty leads Evansville to win over No1 Kentucky  (Read 9329 times)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Former Celtics assistant coach Walter McCarty has coached unheralded Evansville to a win over No.1 ranked Kentucky.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28068348/no-1-kentucky-stunned-home-unranked-evansville

In one of the biggest upsets in recent college basketball history, Evansville beat No. 1 Kentucky 67-64 on Tuesday night in Lexington, marking the program's first victory over a No. 1-ranked team.

Evansville's Sam Cunliffe, a transfer who had previously played at Arizona State and Kansas, hit a pair of free throws with 6.8 seconds remaining to seal the win. Wildcats guard Tyrese Maxey missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

The Purple Aces had been picked to finish eighth in the Missouri Valley Conference's preseason poll following last season's 11-21 record and 5-13 finish in conference play in coach Walter McCarty's first season.

"They are a great team, the toughest team to play us," said McCarty, who starred as a player for the Kentucky team that won a national title in 1996. "But I believe in my guys. I told them, 'We're gonna go in there and get them. We're gonna surprise some people today.' I told them, 'This is a great day to be a Purple Ace. Let's go do it.'"

Asked where Tuesday night's win ranked among his biggest moments in Rupp Arena, McCarty said, "This is at the top."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28068348/no-1-kentucky-stunned-home-unranked-evansville
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Go Waltah!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I love Waltah!!

Great win for his program.
ok fine

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope these allegations aren’t true:

Evansville coach Walter McCarty has been placed on administrative leave pending a Title IX investigation, the school announced Friday.

The school also sent out an internal campus memo detailing the timeline of possible Title IX violations.

"The University has received reports of unwelcome conduct by Coach McCarty since his arrival in March 2018," school president Christopher M. Pietruszkiewicz said in the memo. "We have counseled him about his behavior. In the last two weeks, the University received a troubling report about Coach McCarty's interactions with a member of the campus community. We have placed Coach McCarty on leave while that incident is being investigated. The University will make a fair and informed decision on Coach McCarty's status based on the results of the investigation."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes