Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 116573 times)

Re: What if Danny Ainge traded up in the 2018 NBA draft to get Doncic?
« Reply #420 on: November 27, 2019, 09:50:29 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Boston would be winning multiple titles with Luka Doncic, that's what would happen!

Why is Boston obsessed with Luca doncic? He will never play here, let it go.

We get it, you like white dudes.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #421 on: November 27, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Boston would be winning multiple titles with Luka Doncic, that's what would happen!

Well this thread started when we had a lottery pick in his draft.

Since then he's looking like a future MVP in his second year and is drawing comparisons to Larry Bird from Jackie Mac and Rick Carlisle. Who covered and played with Bird respectively.

I think its pretty natural for Celtics fans to appreciate him.

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #422 on: November 27, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Have beat writers for the NBA looked into the possibility of Giannis going to Dallas in the summer of 2021?
I think Mavericks will have the space to do it

I don’t think that would be a good fit.
Why not? Porzingis can stretch the floor, and if Doncic is really the next Larry Bird he'd fit with Giannis perfectly :laugh:.

Seriously though, I think the fit would be a bit awkward since Doncic does not have Bird's off ball tendencies (the defining trait of Bird imo), but it'd work well enough due to the sheer amount of talent on that squad+Doncic can space the floor at least. It wouldn't be a perfect fit, but a fit like Oscar/Kareem is still championship worthy.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #423 on: November 27, 2019, 10:53:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Have beat writers for the NBA looked into the possibility of Giannis going to Dallas in the summer of 2021?

Why not? Porzingis can stretch the floor, and if Doncic is really the next Larry Bird he'd fit with Giannis perfectly :laugh:.

Seriously though, I think the fit would be a bit awkward since Doncic does not have Bird's off ball tendencies (the defining trait of Bird imo), but it'd work well enough due to the sheer amount of talent on that squad+Doncic can space the floor at least. It wouldn't be a perfect fit, but a fit like Oscar/Kareem is still championship worthy.
Luka Running the pick and roll with Giannis as the roll man is terrifying. He's making Dwight Powell look awesome, just think what Giannis would do.....

« Reply #424 on: November 27, 2019, 10:54:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Luka Running the pick and roll with Giannis as the roll man is terrifying. He's making Dwight Powell look awesome, just think what Giannis would do.....
Oh yes I'm terrified of that combination, and Giannis has passing skills that would make him able to find high quality looks for teammates with his gravity as a roll man.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #425 on: November 27, 2019, 11:02:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Oh yes I'm terrified of that combination, and Giannis has passing skills that would make him able to find high quality looks for teammates with his gravity as a roll man.
Yeah you'd run different pick and rolls with Giannis, use his ability to make a pass on the short roll much more than Powell who is much more a full speed running for the lob it everytime roll man.

Also we've seen that Giannis can be frustrated in the half court against elite defenses, having another creator of the level of Doncic would be amazing for him. Now it'd make it harder for both of them to get numbers or win MVPs, but do you want numbers or rings?

I think Porzingis would be the odd man out in this scenario, he'd be reduced to a Brook Lopez type role. I doubt he'd be happy with that but he could do it quite well.

« Reply #426 on: November 27, 2019, 11:58:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Yeah you'd run different pick and rolls with Giannis, use his ability to make a pass on the short roll much more than Powell who is much more a full speed running for the lob it everytime roll man.

Also we've seen that Giannis can be frustrated in the half court against elite defenses, having another creator of the level of Doncic would be amazing for him. Now it'd make it harder for both of them to get numbers or win MVPs, but do you want numbers or rings?

I think Porzingis would be the odd man out in this scenario, he'd be reduced to a Brook Lopez type role. I doubt he'd be happy with that but he could do it quite well.

Toronto is also lining things up to have max space that summer. Siakim and Giannis would also be a nice pairing. I wonder, is Luka/Giannis or Siakim/Giannis a better fit?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:03:54 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #427 on: November 28, 2019, 12:45:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

That role is perfect for a guy like Porzingis, he really doesn't offer much on the ball aside from iffy isolation scoring. He's a great 3 and D big.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #428 on: November 28, 2019, 01:08:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That role is perfect for a guy like Porzingis, he really doesn't offer much on the ball aside from iffy isolation scoring. He's a great 3 and D big.
Yeah, that could be a frightening trio. Luka as an efficient, less selfish Harden type averaging 28/8/8, Giannis averaging 25/12/5 and KP averaging around 16-18 would be really nasty. The star power alone would be devastating.

Not sure how good for the league it would be
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #429 on: November 28, 2019, 04:53:02 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Yeah, that could be a frightening trio. Luka as an efficient, less selfish Harden type averaging 28/8/8, Giannis averaging 25/12/5 and KP averaging around 16-18 would be really nasty. The star power alone would be devastating.

If that happens, it would probably mean that 3 Europeans (though KP is not as vital as the other 2) would be dominating the NBA for years.
I wonder how would American fans feel about that in the long run?
Please tell.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #430 on: November 28, 2019, 05:33:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
@Celtics4ever
He does get the calls, but truth be told guys just can't stop him.
Best players of today (Giannis, Harden, LBJ...) are always the hardest to officiate.

I never said he was  not great.   He is for sure.   But star calls cheapen the game, and the really good player simply do not need the subsidy that the FTs provide.  Luka does not need it.   The NBA needs to step away from these because it makes them look like the WWE at times.

« Reply #431 on: November 28, 2019, 06:19:09 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I like White dudes, too - and I'm a 50 year old Black Man. Been a Celtics Fan since 1981 because of a Certain White Dude...

The GREAT thing about Larry was - to ME - his game started to transcend RACE the more I followed him...I started to realize - right around the early-mid 80s - that Larry was GREAT, period.

I honestly started to NOT see him as White even though it was strikingly obvious to me. Dude just made INCREDIBLE plays that NO ONE ELSE (outside of perhaps his close friend Magic) did.

He made EVERYONE - EVERYONE - around him better - just like Magic. Not many players in NBA history - even NOW - do that.

He made plays because he was simply GREAT - not because he was white. Magic made GREAT plays because HE was GREAT - not because HE was Black....

The Final Nail in the coffin - to ME - was this HISTORIC game Boston had in ATL in the 80s. We were playing our bitter rivals - Dominic and The Hawks. We CERTAINLY had history with Atlanta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VlM1h5vwyY

...and that CONTINUED on with Larry's HISTORIC game right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmL9AAy6Lo

Excuse my excitement but I'm just being real. Not drunk or anything. ;D

OH EM GEEEEEEEE look at the HAWKS BENCH LOOOOOOOOOOL.....when - in the history of the NBA - has an opponent's BENCH - on the ROAD, no less - started acting that that towards an opposing player?

That CROWD was cheering for BOS more than ATL.  This was mid 1980s. NOW we know why ATL STILL cheers for BOS even to THIS DAY LOOOOL.....

LeBron James - in his Greatness - has NEVER had that kind of effect on a game....and I "LOVE" LeBron......

Larry Bird was NOT white. Only dense folks think he was White. Dude transcended Race. I honestly believe that he and MAGIC were not even HUMAN.

Who to this DAY has done the CRAZY things on the court that THEY did? These two have even enjoyed SUCCESS OFF the court - with Larry as a GM/President and Magic's various successful business ventures.

Mars is missing 2 beings. I hope they NEVER come back to Earth to claim them.

With THAT being said Luka Doncic is my BINKY. He - indeed - has exhibited to ME some of the same Magic that Larry and Earvin gave us in the 80s. Maybe Mars has visited Earth AGAIN, recently...

Stay tuned :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:36:46 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #432 on: November 28, 2019, 07:24:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, I think we have gone long enough with talking about a player solely based on the color of their skin. This is obviously, very much, against site rules. Please move on.

« Reply #433 on: November 28, 2019, 07:42:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

It'd be good for the league since our duo of Brown/Tatum can have a strong team to beat en route to future titles for the Celtics :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm calling it now:

- Luka is gonna win MVP and/or most improved player this season.
- The Mavs are already a contending team (top 3 in the West imo). As things stand right now, they have the 2nd best record in the West at 16-6.
- Luka, aged 20, is already the best player in the world! :) I'm not talking about his future potential. If all I cared about was the 2019-2020 season, I'd still take him over anybody else including LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, Harden, you name it.
- When all is said and done, he's gonna be considered a GOAT candidate.

Btw, the Mavs just demolished the Pels by 46 points (130-84). Luka didn't even play in the 4th quarter, yet he recorded 26 points, 9 assists and 6 rebs on 8/15 from the floor. He also tied Michael Jordan for the longest (18) streak of matches with at least 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists since the NBA/ABA merger in 1976.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/12/07/luka-doncic-michael-jordan-20-5-5
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:14:19 PM by Jvalin »