Author Topic: Celtics (37-15) at Rockets (33-20) Game #53 2/11/20  (Read 51215 times)

Re: Celtics (37-15) at Rockets (33-20) Game #53 2/11/20
« Reply #600 on: February 12, 2020, 01:12:38 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Looks like this team isn't ready to compete at the highest level yet, sigh.
They recently beat LAL, Miami, Philly and OKC but because they lose to Houston in Houston on a night the refs gave Houston 42 FTs, the Celtics suddenly aren't ready to compete at the highest levels?

Are you kidding me with that shhhhhstuff?!?!?!

It's really hard for any team to over come 42 free throws.

« Reply #601 on: February 12, 2020, 01:55:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Looks like this team isn't ready to compete at the highest level yet, sigh.
They recently beat LAL, Miami, Philly and OKC but because they lose to Houston in Houston on a night the refs gave Houston 42 FTs, the Celtics suddenly aren't ready to compete at the highest levels?

Are you kidding me with that shhhhhstuff?!?!?!

If we win the next game we'll be world beaters again. Ah the life of a Celtics fan  :laugh:

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #602 on: February 12, 2020, 05:45:38 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I just cant stand to watch Houston games. It's disgustingand an insult to any basketball fan. To make it worse, they get such bull**** preferrential ref treatment it makes me sick. Those shooting fouls on Harden 3s? Please....we get clobbered inside - no call. Disgraceful.

« Reply #603 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Turnovers killed us...Covington is the Real Deal.
Covington would have been really good off the bench for this Celtics team. I wished Ainge gave up a couple of firsts and got him. Exactly the type of player that could have made a real difference to this team. Low usage high efficiency shooter with good defensive contribution. Keeps Boston's wings big and long while one of the three starters rests. Combines with Smart to give Boston the deepest perimeter groups in the league.

« Reply #604 on: February 12, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Turnovers killed us...Covington is the Real Deal.
Covington would have been really good off the bench for this Celtics team. I wished Ainge gave up a couple of firsts and got him. Exactly the type of player that could have made a real difference to this team. Low usage high efficiency shooter with good defensive contribution. Keeps Boston's wings big and long while one of the three starters rests. Combines with Smart to give Boston the deepest perimeter groups in the league.

Coulda got him years ago but ya know.  Hold those picks and players

« Reply #605 on: February 12, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I just cant stand to watch Houston games. It's disgustingand an insult to any basketball fan. To make it worse, they get such bull**** preferrential ref treatment it makes me sick. Those shooting fouls on Harden 3s? Please....we get clobbered inside - no call. Disgraceful.

"Smart acknowledged this was, in fact, one of the few games this season that the Celtics failed to elevate or exceed their opponent's level of physical play."

"It's just hard for us, the way the game is being called," Smart said. "We didn't know how physical we could be. When we were being physical, we were getting [fouls called]. So, it kind of made us hesitant, put us on our heels. Anytime you're fearful of fouling, this is what happens."

« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
I hate the Rockets and how Harden is officiated and their non-stop complaining to officials.  That said I will give them credit - they were very physical on defense, especially inside.   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:58:47 AM by SDceltGuy »

« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I hate the Rockets and how Harden is officiated and their no stop complaining to officials.  That said I will give them credit - they were very physical on defense, especially inside.

Ironic.

« Reply #608 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celts should of had Smart on Harden 24/7

right up in his face

Also back the way up on Westbrook who can't shoot

Layoff on the rest of the players and make them earn their shots

very very poor game plan by Brad Stevens

« Reply #609 on: February 12, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Only time I'll root for the Rockets is when they are facing the Lakers or Sixers in a playoff series. That's it.

I absolutely hate how they are babied by the refs. People talk about them being more physical, but the refs ALLOW them to be physical and when other teams like the C's counter with physical play, they get called usually  ::)

Thank god come playoff time the refs let them play more
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #610 on: February 12, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

right up in his face

I think that is part of the problem of last night's officiating. Anytime we were up on his face, they'd give Harden the foul. Even when we barely touch the player, as long as there's any resemblance of shooting, then it's a foul. That was pretty frustrating.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #611 on: February 12, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

right up in his face

I think that is part of the problem of last night's officiating. Anytime we were up on his face, they'd give Harden the foul. Even when we barely touch the player, as long as there's any resemblance of shooting, then it's a foul. That was pretty frustrating.
To be fair we also bit on their pump fakes a lot, we did get some BS calls but it wasn't all about the refs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #612 on: February 12, 2020, 12:06:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
That is the thing about the league today. You can play physical defense in the paint but you can't play physical defense on the perimeter against ball-handlers.

That is why it is a lot easier for Houston to play physical defense against their opponents (against players in the paint) than it is for opponents to play physical defense against Houston style of offense - iso ball ball-handlers 25 feet from the hoop.

The Rockets get to dictate physicality. It is hard for opponents to match that / to counter that because of the rules and how things are called on the perimeter (which is Houston's entire offense).

The issue for Boston is our scorers aren't as good at driving to the basket as Westbrook or Harden. Not as dynamic off the bounce. Do not put the same offensive pressure on. They can do it (score the ball) in other ways but those ways cause less foul-happy situations. Houston always likely to get the benefit of the whistle because their team is more built to exploit the rules.

« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
That is the thing about the league today. You can play physical defense in the paint but you can't play physical defense on the perimeter against ball-handlers.

That is why it is a lot easier for Houston to play physical defense against their opponents (against players in the paint) than it is for opponents to play physical defense against Houston style of offense - iso ball ball-handlers 25 feet from the hoop.

The Rockets get to dictate physicality. It is hard for opponents to match that / to counter that because of the rules and how things are called on the perimeter (which is Houston's entire offense).

The issue for Boston is our scorers aren't as good at driving to the basket as Westbrook or Harden. Not as dynamic off the bounce. Do not put the same offensive pressure on. They can do it (score the ball) in other ways but those ways cause less foul-happy situations. Houston always likely to get the benefit of the whistle because their team is more built to exploit the rules.

But it wont work in the playoffs

NBA wont let the ticky tack foul crap help a team win games

« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I think it's a good point about perimeter versus paint defense. I also think Houston is actually pretty physical on the perimeter but they're smart about it - and teams that aren't used to attacking a switching defense have trouble beating them.

Example - Boston normally thrives on high picks and pick and rolls. Against Houston's switching defense that lets the Rockets build a wall of two or three players that our ballhandlers can't get past. The horns set is especially useless - or worse - by bunching up six players, unless our guys are very smart about slipping and the defenders blow a switch. The Cs' wings really struggled with the traffic jams. The one time they really did well was in the second part of the 2d quarter, where there was more straight attack off the dribble, where the blowby forced Houston to start rotating and we bent their defense into giving us an open shot. I think in a longer series they would figure it out - and Tatum and Kemba won't shoot 1-13 from 3! It also wouldn't hurt to have Rob Williams available. Kanter is just an absolute disaster against Houston.

I do have to give credit to Houston's D, though. They were very good.