Author Topic: BOS / DEN trade idea  (Read 30627 times)

Re: BOS / DEN trade idea
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Not trying to say EVERYONE was guilty but that Nuggets team packed it up for the summer after game 2 in their series with the Lakers. With the exception of Kleiza, I'd be hesitant to take any of those guys on the Denver roster - especially an aging, injury prone, jump shooting center.

He is 1 year removed from defensive player of the year.  
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
interesting trade idea to discuss.  Not a good trade in my opinion.

I hate the term role player, but you can't give up 2 good to excellent role players (to keep or trade later) for a 34 year old with an injury history.  That about sums it up.

If the Celtics did too many trades like this one, they'd be dead in the water when the big 3 retires.  It's not time yet to give up on maintaining our greatness beyond the big 3.  

Right now I prefer Powe to Big Baby, but Big Baby still has some mystery quality, meaning he could wind up better than any of us think, maybe as good as Ryan Gomes from the outside, for example, while hammering people inside as well.....

I'd love to get Mourning to combine with Perk!

Good post, I just think these players are easily replaceable through the draft or in he case of Perkins an MLE. Plus, Camby would be on a very short leash contract wise ( 2 years remaining on a declining scale).

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If we give up all our young core guys we will be in last years situation again in about 3-4 years though. If I could guarantee a championship then maybe, but I don't see that this really does anything but prevent us from having as deep a bench. 3 guys money becomes 1 guy. It was hard enough to attract free agents without PP, Ray, and KG all off this team in a few years and all our young talent gone. We'll have another 20_ year drought!

Is Danny going to stop Drafting in this time?  Did we lose Draft picks I don't know about (we owe the Wolves 1)?  The only player that is not replaceable on this roster under the age of 24 is Rajon. Keep in mind:

1. Ownership will pay luxury tax
-Resign FA's (House, Posey)
- MLE's
2. Expiring Contracts
3. Future Draft picks

We have a 7 year window here and I think it extended when DA manages the things mentioned above correctly.

Yes we will. We will have draft picks in the very end of the first round. Not exactly guys that are going to bring in the star free agents!  Expiring contracts don't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have guys out there wanting to come and take the money.

The players we would use in this trade are draft picks from the very end of the first round. Expiring contracts are used in trade for teams to rid themselves of commitments to certain players and go in another direction. Who cares about a pipeline if we can produce a solid 8 man rotation of veterans every single year making up a team that contends.

Al Jefferson was the cornerstone of these deals and was the 15th pick in the draft. That's the middle, not the "Very end". Gerald Green (Ha Ha on Minnesota) was the 18th pick. Not the "very end". Ray Allen was gotten primarily for the 5th pick in the draft, not the "very end". Had we been picking in the last 5 of the draft the last 5 years we wouldn't have Ray or KG. We wouldn't have signed Posey. We wouldn't have gotten House. We would be the Minnesota Timberwolves.

With that deal we produce a solid 5 man rotation and a bunch of nobodies because we have given them all our money. Once they leave we have 12 nobodies with maybe 1-2 of them having potential...

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
If we give up all our young core guys we will be in last years situation again in about 3-4 years though. If I could guarantee a championship then maybe, but I don't see that this really does anything but prevent us from having as deep a bench. 3 guys money becomes 1 guy. It was hard enough to attract free agents without PP, Ray, and KG all off this team in a few years and all our young talent gone. We'll have another 20_ year drought!

Is Danny going to stop Drafting in this time?  Did we lose Draft picks I don't know about (we owe the Wolves 1)?  The only player that is not replaceable on this roster under the age of 24 is Rajon. Keep in mind:

- MLE's
2. Expiring Contracts
3. Future Draft picks

We have a 7 year window here and I think it extended when DA manages the things mentioned above correctly.

Yes we will. We will have draft picks in the very end of the first round. Not exactly guys that are going to bring in the star free agents!  Expiring contracts don't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have guys out there wanting to come and take the money.

The players we would use in this trade are draft picks from the very end of the first round. Expiring contracts are used in trade for teams to rid themselves of commitments to certain players and go in another direction. Who cares about a pipeline if we can produce a solid 8 man rotation of veterans every single year making up a team that contends.

Al Jefferson was the cornerstone of these deals and was the 15th pick in the draft. That's the middle, not the "Very end". Gerald Green (Ha Ha on Minnesota) was the 18th pick. Not the "very end". Ray Allen was gotten primarily for the 5th pick in the draft, not the "very end". Had we been picking in the last 5 of the draft the last 5 years we wouldn't have Ray or KG. We wouldn't have signed Posey. We wouldn't have gotten House. We would be the Minnesota Timberwolves.

With that deal we produce a solid 5 man rotation and a bunch of nobodies because we have given them all our money. Once they leave we have 12 nobodies with maybe 1-2 of them having potential...

What are you talking about? I wrote this:

"The players we would use in this trade are draft picks from the very end of the first round."

and was referring to this trade and this trade only. (Perk, BBD and TA)

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
interesting trade idea to discuss.  Not a good trade in my opinion.

I hate the term role player, but you can't give up 2 good to excellent role players (to keep or trade later) for a 34 year old with an injury history.  That about sums it up.

If the Celtics did too many trades like this one, they'd be dead in the water when the big 3 retires.  It's not time yet to give up on maintaining our greatness beyond the big 3.  

Right now I prefer Powe to Big Baby, but Big Baby still has some mystery quality, meaning he could wind up better than any of us think, maybe as good as Ryan Gomes from the outside, for example, while hammering people inside as well.....

I'd love to get Mourning to combine with Perk!

I agree with what you have said here,...as i was posting mine,i thought about Mourning being a good backup for Perk,at this time.If we can't find a true C to replace Perk,might as well stay with a young,durable player,and find a good backup like Alonzo.That would probably workout much better than taking a chance on Camby,who lookes to me as if he is going downhill.Maybe,he is with the wrong group of guys at Denver,but i just dont like the odds here.I would still like dealing TA with someone away,but who would you place with TA,that would bring 1 decent replacement? BBD has also got potential in the long haul,IMO.I rather keep him around .A lot with him,will ride on his work ethic in the off season.He needs to work on weight,become a hard body,and develop a consistent jumper from 12-15ft.But i give you a tp for your thoughts on this,it sounds good to me.

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
DA will replace the big 3 one at a time not all at once. The first replacement will be a product of an expiring contract and other chips that have been produced from this system (drafted late and trained by celtic coaching).

I think this trade speeds up the process of finding the first replacement provided we give up nothing more then would is offered above.

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2008, 06:22:57 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Not trying to say EVERYONE was guilty but that Nuggets team packed it up for the summer after game 2 in their series with the Lakers. With the exception of Kleiza, I'd be hesitant to take any of those guys on the Denver roster - especially an aging, injury prone, jump shooting center.

Main concern for me is his durability. He had problems before staying healthy in the "physical" Eastern Conference. IMHO it's a big gamble on a guy who has never played a complete season in his 12 year career.

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Fair trade for both parties.  Camby's durability is a real concern, though.  Cs would need to follow up the trade with a cheap (vet min) FA signing -- not sure which cheap centers are on the FA market next year....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Main concern for me is his durability. He had problems before staying healthy in the "physical" Eastern Conference. IMHO it's a big gamble on a guy who has never played a complete season in his 12 year career.

<Curious  tone> Why is it a big gamble?

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Camby defensive per might be a little higher with the Celtics, but he is still a weakside shot blocker.  Outside of his block shots (which are very high), do you ever remember seeing Camby body up someone in the paint successfully? 

It's not his game.  And that is what the Celtics need.

As for Denver, they shouldn't trade Camby unless they trade AI.  He is the perfect C for AI.  AI plays the passing lane looking for steals.  He often leaves his man with an easy shot or path to the paint.  That's where a weakside shot blocker comes in real handy. 

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

- MLE's
2. Expiring Contracts
3. Future Draft picks

What are you talking about? I wrote this:

"The players we would use in this trade are draft picks from the very end of the first round."

and was referring to this trade and this trade only. (Perk, BBD and TA)

Misread what you were referring to.

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2008, 07:30:12 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Word is Camby is on the block.  Would you do this trade?

Boston trades: Perk, BBD, Tony
Denver trades: Marcus Camby

Why for Boston: Boston receives an elite defensive center, who can also stretch the floor and free up room for KG inside.  Camby is a bit long in the tooth, but has had two healthy seasons in a row.  We probably don't need Tony any more, and losing BBD doesn't hurt too badly because we have Powe as a replacement.

Why for Denver: They clear up salary, as Perk has a cheap contract, and Tony and BBD are expiring.  If Denver so chooses, they get three young players they can develop for the future; if they don't work out, they can let them walk away.  It also gives them a young defensive center, who perhaps throws the best outlet pass in the league for starting the fast break.

This is definitely a "win now" move for Boston.  Thoughts?

Great trade, since I'm going to let Tony walk if I'm Ainge.

May not be something you do if this group wins a title. But it's definitely a good move to win in this window.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think I would trade Perk straight up for him.

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
This idea would certainly make us better defensively - but I don't think that's the Celtics' issue.

We need a low post scoring threat to pair with Perk. For although we're the best defensive team in the league, we've become primarily a jump-shooting team.

It would be nice to have a big man in the low post to put in when the shots aren't falling; 15 minutes to go with Perkins. 

I think adding Camby to the cap would limit the flexibility necessary to achieve that.

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 01:32:41 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I hate the term role player, but you can't give up 2 good to excellent role players (to keep or trade later) for a 34 year old with an injury history.  That about sums it up.

If the Celtics did too many trades like this one, they'd be dead in the water when the big 3 retires.  It's not time yet to give up on maintaining our greatness beyond the big 3. 

I don't like the deal either, but I want to comment that if this "Big 3" retire as Celtics, then something will probably have gone wrong. 

The ideal situation is that they're all happy with lower salaries as they get older and their production decreases, but does that happen very regularly?  It seems to me as if a lot of NBA players get paid huge piles of money up to and beyond the point where they're washed up (Shaq, Ben Wallace, Juwon Howard, Chris Webber, Jermaine O'Neal, Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, and Theo Ratliff to name eight off the top of my head), so what are the odds that we luck out with Pierce, Allen and Garnett and they get generous?  I really hope they're moved before we have to find out.

Ok, why I don't like the trade:  I don't think that'll be enough for a DPOY.  Sure Perk plays like a starter and knows his role, but BBD is an unknown quantity and Tony Allen is crap.  That's all there is to it for me.  Even aside from being bad at professional basketball...barring injury, how is Allen going to find playing time to be of any value other than a contract to say goodbye to?  At guard they WILL have Allen Iverson and JR Smith, and then they also have Chucky Atkins and Anthony Carter.  Can Tony Allen beat out either of them?  Even if he can, is that a good thing?  They also had the reputation last year of each possession being "whose turn is it to dominate the ball?"  Is Tony Allen going to provide any benefit there?  Can he hit a perimeter shot?  I read the Hollinger article that said they played the best last season when they had some outside shooting and those are the lineups they were most successful with, but I don't see Tony Allen helping any there.  Sure Chucky Atkins is going to get hurt and AI can't keep playing 40 minutes a night his entire life, but I'm not going to jump at the chance to put Tony Allen in there for them, especially if I'm dealing away my starting center.

Same thing with Davis:  How does he help from behind Perk, Nene, Kenyon Martin and Eduardo Najera (unsigned but really valuable to them)?  Do you make this deal expecting someone to get hurt?

So, it seems to my uneducated mind, that it comes down to Perk, and two burning piles of cash for Marcus Camby.  I'm not sure we'd be happy subbing out our Defensive Player of the Year for a weaker player just to add two guys who would be, at best, third on the depth chart at their positions.

In addition, I don't think the argument that "Memphis got less for Pau Gasol" works because that deal is known league wide to be a farce.  "Exception not the rule" kind of thing.

Also, how much money is saved?  Just because Camby is making more money next year than Perkins, Camby is on a descending contract, he'll be making 8 million, and then ~7.6 million.  Perkins, though, runs a year longer at 4, 4.2, and 4.3.  Also, next season Tony Allen will be making ~1.8, and Glen Davis runs for two years at 1.1 total.  So adding it up losing 15.6 in salary and gaining 15.4 in salary the money is almost as near a wash as it can be.  That doesn't seem to be substantial savings.

Also, we have another interesting dynamic in this thread:  Some think that Camby isn't markedly better than Perk, so others are pointing out that Camby is much better because he is the only one holding down the fort in Denver, and Perk is just good with what they're handing him.  Well, how is pointing that out helping to make this an even deal.  Anyone knows that Camby is better, but saying that he's THAT much better only makes the trade seem more unlikely.

To the credit of everyone supporting this deal, when I saw the title I had expected to see Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine for Eduardo Najera or Carmelo Anthony, so thanks for that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:44:01 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.