Author Topic: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?  (Read 30261 times)

Re: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2019, 08:50:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My one hope is Yabu is not on this team next season

« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2019, 09:07:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another team I'd like - a Vucevic option

G: Rozier, Smart
F: Jaylen, Langford
F: Tatum, Hayward
F: Grant Williams, (Hayward)
C: Vucevic, (FA - Noel?)

I also think Rozier could fit back in here if Vucevic was signed and with Grant Williams in a big role. Two bigs who can pass and facilitate the offense to help hide Rozier's limitations as a playmaker. Rozier gives them a scorer. Some more quickness.

I don't think Vucevic is a strong enough defender to allow Hayward to start at PF. Unlike Stevens Adams who is good enough to do so. That is why I would start Grant Williams. Even if only in a 20-25mpg role (but as a starter rather than bench player). With Hayward as the 6th man.

I like Grant Williams as a glue guy next to Vucevic because of his defense and physical toughness. I also think having a shooter of Vucevic's caliber allows Williams freedom to be effective offensively while Williams continues to develop his own outside shot.

If Rozier did come back, Smart moves back to being a bench player also. That gives Boston two strong bench players in Smart and Hayward. Two guys who bring something completely different to the team off the bench than the guys in the starting lineup.

If no Rozier, just sign a different PG in Free agency.
Thinking Langford and Williams will be in the starting lineup/rotation is faulty. Neither deserve being gifted minutes and neither is NBA ready. I think they spend a ton of time in Maine. Langford especially as he will have Smart, Rozier(if Rozier returns as you have him doing)and Brown sucking up the all of the guard minutes so that Hayward and Tatum can suck up all the SF minutes and some PF minutes.

Not sure his anyone can think Williams will start in the NBA next year. Just because the roster isn't filled out in late June doesn't mean the roster stays that way. Danny will be bring in via trade or free agency at minimum 3-4 front court players that will be ahead of Grant Williams and Timelord this year in the rotation.

« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I also think Rozier could fit back in here if Vucevic was signed and with Grant Williams in a big role. Two bigs who can pass and facilitate the offense to help hide Rozier's limitations as a playmaker. Rozier gives them a scorer. Some more quickness.

I don't think Vucevic is a strong enough defender to allow Hayward to start at PF. Unlike Stevens Adams who is good enough to do so. That is why I would start Grant Williams. Even if only in a 20-25mpg role (but as a starter rather than bench player). With Hayward as the 6th man.

I like Grant Williams as a glue guy next to Vucevic because of his defense and physical toughness. I also think having a shooter of Vucevic's caliber allows Williams freedom to be effective offensively while Williams continues to develop his own outside shot.

If Rozier did come back, Smart moves back to being a bench player also. That gives Boston two strong bench players in Smart and Hayward. Two guys who bring something completely different to the team off the bench than the guys in the starting lineup.

Who is going to pass the ball to vucevic?

I do not understand the Rozier doesn't pass the ball comments.

Rozier passes the ball. He just isn't creative with his passing. They are just sideways passes. Lateral passes that accomplish little. But he does share the ball. Give others opportunities to play.

Edit: Rozier made 40.3 passes per game in 22.7mpg last season. Kyrie made 51.3 passes in 33mpg. Horford made 42.9 passes in 29mpg. Smart 36.2 passes in 27.5mpg. Those were the 4 most prolific passers on the team last season. Rozier shares the ball. He just doesn't create much with his passing but he does pass it.
Does this factor in him bringing the ball up or passes once the offense is set up? I heard his numbers were at JB level when offense was initiated and wasn't a good distributor.

« Reply #198 on: June 21, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Who is going to pass the ball to vucevic?

I do not understand the Rozier doesn't pass the ball comments.

Rozier passes the ball. He just isn't creative with his passing. They are just sideways passes. Lateral passes that accomplish little. But he does share the ball. Give others opportunities to play.

Edit: Rozier made 40.3 passes per game in 22.7mpg last season. Kyrie made 51.3 passes in 33mpg. Horford made 42.9 passes in 29mpg. Smart 36.2 passes in 27.5mpg. Those were the 4 most prolific passers on the team last season. Rozier shares the ball. He just doesn't create much with his passing but he does pass it.
Does this factor in him bringing the ball up or passes once the offense is set up? I heard his numbers were at JB level when offense was initiated and wasn't a good distributor.

Total passes.

Compare them to other PGs:

Rozier = 40.3 passes in 22.7mpg

Kyrie = 51.3 passes in 33mpg

You had five guys (Simmons, Lowry, Westbrook, Conley, Jrue) average 60 plus passes all in 34-36mpg.

Then six others who average 55-60 passes (Trae, Wall, Fox, Doncic, Kemba, Jamal Murray) in 31-34mpg.

Plus a couple of pass first PGs
Rubio = 55.7 passes in 27.9mpg
Rondo = 55.5 passes in 29.8mpg
Elfrid Payton = 55.4 passes in 29.8mpg

Then Lillard at 53 passes in 35mpg, Dunn & Teague at 53 passes in 30mpg.

DJ Augustin = 46.3 passes in 27.9mpg
Goran Dragic = 41.9 passes in 27.5mpg
Darren Collison = 50.1 passes in 28.2mpg
Dennis Smith Jr = 52.5 passes in 28.5mpg
Lonzo = 50.7 passes in 30.3mpg
CP3 = 50.8 passes in 32mpg
D'Angelo Russell = 52.1 passes in 30.2mpg
Reggie Jackson = 50.5 passes in 27.9mpg

A surprise of Justice Winslow at 52.2 passes in 29.7mpg. Harden clocks in at 49.5 passes in 36.8mpg.
Colin Sexton = 45.5 passes in 31.8mpg

Some other backup PGs

Cory Joseph = 41.4 passes in 25.2mpg
Ish Smith = 40.9 passes in 22.3mpg
SGA = 40.6 passes in 26.5mpg
Shelvin Mack = 41.6 passes in 21.9mpg
Monte Morris = 42.2 passes in 24mpg
Fred VanFleet = 42.9 passes in 27.5mpg
JJ Barea at 44 passes in 19.8mpg
Beverley = 39.8 passes in 27.4mpg

https://stats.nba.com/players/passing/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=PASSES_MADE&dir=1&PlayerPosition=G

-------------------------------------
To make it easier to compare guys with different minutes, if you minute adjust Rozier's passes, that would be

40.3 passes in 22.7mpg
44.4 passes in 25mpg
49.7 passes in 28mpg
55 passes in 31mpg
60 passes in 34mpg

-------------

Now if you look at the assists per pass. Rozier is terrible. He creates the least with his passing. I fully support any criticism of his lack of vision.

But Rozier does share / pass the ball. He just doesn't accomplish much his passes. They are lateral passes that do not penetrate the defense. That do not set teammates up for shots. But Rozier does share the ball and give room to teammates to create for themselves & others.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:23:27 AM by Who »

« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2019, 11:22:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Thinking Langford and Williams will be in the starting lineup/rotation is faulty. Neither deserve being gifted minutes and neither is NBA ready. I think they spend a ton of time in Maine. Langford especially as he will have Smart, Rozier(if Rozier returns as you have him doing)and Brown sucking up the all of the guard minutes so that Hayward and Tatum can suck up all the SF minutes and some PF minutes.

Not sure his anyone can think Williams will start in the NBA next year. Just because the roster isn't filled out in late June doesn't mean the roster stays that way. Danny will be bring in via trade or free agency at minimum 3-4 front court players that will be ahead of Grant Williams and Timelord this year in the rotation.

Yeah, I got a bit ahead of myself there.

I was just thinking how much I like how Grant Williams fits alongside Nik Vucevic. Defensively, I like the way they fit together. And how that also might make it easier to play Rozier because of their combined passing ability. A good combo.

I am optimistic about Grant Williams playing in the rotation next year. I think he has an NBA ready game. I like how he plays defense. He rebounds. He shares the ball. Makes good decisions on the court. Plays like someone older and more experienced. I do think he is someone we can rely on for minutes next year.

Romeo Langford is more of a question mark. I could see him having a Rozier type rookie season (39 games played, 8mpg) to a Jaylen Brown type season (72 games, 18mpg). Langford does not have an NBA ready game because his defense is so shoddy. His outside shot is sketchy too. If he can improve quickly, I could see him getting to a Jaylen Brown type level ... but most likely, is a Terry Rozier level rookie season.

As for a starting PF, I'd love to get Mirotic.

G: Smart
F: Jaylen
F: Tatum
F: Mirotic
C: Vucevic

No Rozier in that scenario I expect (in order to free up cap space to get Mirotic = which still might not be enough to get him).

Edit: I see Grant Williams more like Glen Davis in terms of being a rookie. I liked Davis to make the rotation his rookie year too because he was skilled and smart. Like Grant Williams. Davis played 13.5mpg in 69 games. That is along more expectation lines for Grant Williams next season.

Smart, skilled and an NBA ready body. Those guys tend to play a role in their rookie years.

I was also thinking that Ainge might not have enough cap space leftover after Vucevic to get a good player to play PF. So between small ball with Hayward or starting rookie Grant Williams. I just liked the fit of Grant Williams next to Vucevic better than Hayward. More as a part time starter role (18-24mpg) than real starters minutes (30-35mpg). A bit like Baynes played as a starting center next to Horford. Part time starter.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:34:34 AM by Who »

« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Ship out Yabusele somehow. I admittedly don't know how exactly, but just do it. Salary dump him somewhere. Then we'll have about 38M in cap space to work with I believe.

1. Sign D'Angelo Russell to a near max deal (around ~4/104M). A max would be 4/117M with 1st year at 27M.

2. Sign 1 of Looney, Dedmon or Ed Davis. I personally wouldn't even be against taking a flyer on DeMarcus Cousins if he doesn't command much this summer either, but realistically I'd add one of those 3 guys. I don't assume either would cost more than 9M a year (maybe Looney gets 10M+)

3. Sign Nerlens Noel to a contract using room exception

PG: D'Angelo Russell/Marcus Smart/Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown/Romeo Langford/Carson Edwards
SF: Jayson Tatum/Gordon Hayward/Semi Ojeyele
PF: Gordon Hayward/Grant Williams/Daniel Theis
C: 1 of Ed/Dedmon/Cousins/Looney + Nerlens Noel + Timelord

I'm going to assume Theis and Wanamaker stay but if not, then that'll be fine though I imagine we might need to add another cheap player for depth in a certain area.

How does this look to folks?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Looks like a 7th seed to me in the East..Get Randle, Dedmon and Noel..we be okay then
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Add Capela and Brogdon

« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart, Middleton, Brown, Hayward, Tatum

::)

« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ship out Yabusele somehow. I admittedly don't know how exactly, but just do it. Salary dump him somewhere. Then we'll have about 38M in cap space to work with I believe.

1. Sign D'Angelo Russell to a near max deal (around ~4/104M). A max would be 4/117M with 1st year at 27M.

2. Sign 1 of Looney, Dedmon or Ed Davis. I personally wouldn't even be against taking a flyer on DeMarcus Cousins if he doesn't command much this summer either, but realistically I'd add one of those 3 guys. I don't assume either would cost more than 9M a year (maybe Looney gets 10M+)

I'm going to assume Theis and Wanamaker stay but if not, then that'll be fine though I imagine we might need to add another cheap player for depth in a certain area.

Thats a gritty team that can go hot or cold, but could be a lot of fun. I'd be down with Boogie and Noel with Williams as our 3 bigs.

If we can't get Russel, I'd want to try for Adams and Rubio

« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
With the unfortunate departures of Irving, Horford, and Baynes, Danny has a good chunk of cap room to work with. The question is if Danny uses that cap space in free agency or trades.

My one fear with free agency, is will the perception of last season give free agents cause for concern and look elsewhere? It wasn’t just a Kyrie issue. There was also the issue of the young players (Brown, Tatum, and Rozier) who think they’re much better than they really are because they were part of a team that went to game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. I hate to say it, but someone may need to go to help correct that perception. This is why I would renounce the rights to Rozier and let him walk.

I understand Vucevic is a good player, but I don’t know if he is worth max type money over the next 4 years or so. I don’t know if he is physical or quick enough where Tatum or Hayward can get away with playing PF next to him.

I would like to see Danny trade for Steven Adams, who only has two years remaining on his deal and is still only 25. Because of his style of play, I think Tatum and Hayward can get away with playing PF next to him. Then, I would go after Nikola Mirotic, who is a big man that can shoot. I assume he can be had for around $12-14M per season. This would also serve as a great tradeable contract, which the Celtics desperately need.

PG – Smart, Edwards
SG – Brown, Langford
SF – Hayward, Ojeleye
PF – Tatum, Mirotic, Williams, Yabusele
C – Adams, Williams

« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2019, 12:41:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Thats a gritty team that can go hot or cold, but could be a lot of fun. I'd be down with Boogie and Noel with Williams as our 3 bigs.

Basically, I think there's 3 paths from here. Add Russell + sign or trade for 2 centers (1 for depth). OR, sign 1 of Vucevic/Randle then add another guard like Rubio as you mention. The other one is trading for Capela or Adams and then adding a depth guard again.

My dream would be adding Russell and trading for either Adams or Capela, but that's just not possible unfortunately.

« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Basically, I think there's 3 paths from here. Add Russell + sign or trade for 2 centers (1 for depth). OR, sign 1 of Vucevic/Randle then add another guard like Rubio as you mention. The other one is trading for Capela or Adams and then adding a depth guard again.

My dream would be adding Russell and trading for either Adams or Capela, but that's just not possible unfortunately.

I like this idea of Russell and then adding 2 decent centers in FA. I might be in the minority but I'd also love to try and keep Theis if the price is right and it's possible.

« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I like this idea of Russell and then adding 2 decent centers in FA. I might be in the minority but I'd also love to try and keep Theis if the price is right and it's possible.

It might depend on who the 2 centers are exactly, because the truth is we actually have a NEED at Center now unless people actually think Timelord is playing like 30 minutes a night.

I hope we get 2 of Dedmon/Noel/Davis (Ed... not Anthony lol)/Looney/Lopez. Or if they get Cousins and try him, I'd be okay with that too. Doubt the latter happens but the former I think should be the way to go if we sign D'LO.

« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Now that the draft is done, I think we can get a bit closer to the realistic aspect of the question.

I fully expect us to pursue D'Angelo Russell in free agency. He's an All-Star PG, which is a position of need for us, and he fully fits the timeline we're seemingly pursuing. Much more so than guys like Kemba or Vucevic. I then seeing us bringing in a Dedmon/Bryant type big man. Probably a guy like Bryant, because of his age. I also see us adding a 3&D wing to round out our bench. Someone like Ennis or Darius Miller.

I think, and hope, we roll out with:

PG: D'Angelo Russell / Marcus Smart / Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / Carsen Edwards
SF: Jayson Tatum / Darius Miller / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Gordon Hayward / Grant Williams / Robert Williams
C: Thomas Bryant / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)