Author Topic: Past Legends Into Present NBA  (Read 1994 times)

Past Legends Into Present NBA
« on: October 13, 2023, 06:33:58 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Which past player would benefitted MOST from replaying their career in todays NBA?

There are many factors to consider, like stylistic or physical advantages, or perhaps medical advancements that weren’t available in the past.

You should also consider the player’s personality and how they would function in 2023. Some guys may too stubborn to adapt and make the necessary changes to elevate their game.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 07:26:37 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Past NBA Into Present
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 07:04:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Most of the shooters like Chris Mullin, Dell Curry, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird (the ultimate stretch big)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 07:14:34 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Most of the shooters like Chris Mullin, Dell Curry, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird (the ultimate stretch big)

Bingo

This is who I believe would get the biggest career boost playing in today’s NBA.

Bird with better spacing would focus more on his 3 point shot, thus his points per game would go way up.

IMO, physically is where you’d see the biggest growth. Bird was a ruthless competitor, and I’m sure he would take any measure to be the best, that would include eating better, not drinking alcohol during the season and generally looking after his body better than he did in the 1980’s.

Bird’s career ending back injury may not have even happened, as he originally hurt it working on his mother’s driveway. I’d assume with the income of todays players, Larry would have just paid for the work to be done.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 07:31:36 PM by Ed Monix »

Re: Past Legends Into Present NBA
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 07:37:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I think it would be Wilt.  He'd thrive so much inside. So strong, fast, big
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 07:44:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd love to see one of the bigs from the 80s or 90s.  Against today's weaker defenders, I bet David Roninson would put up 30+ ppg annually.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 07:49:35 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I think it would be Wilt.  He'd thrive so much inside. So strong, fast, big

I am sure Wilt would put up insane numbers, but in terms of winning I’d say he’d have the same issues, only more magnified. I highly doubt modern basketball could fix his free throw issues and he would be targeted as a result.

I’d imagine his personal life would be scrutinized much more than in the 1960’s. His ego would be no different, as would his selfishness.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 07:53:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Bingo

This is who I believe would get the biggest career boost playing in today’s NBA.

Bird with better spacing would focus more on his 3 point shot, thus his points per game would go way up.

IMO, physically is where you’d see the biggest growth. Bird was a ruthless competitor, and I’m sure he would take any measure to be the best, that would include eating better, not drinking alcohol during the season and generally looking after his body better than he did in the 1980’s.

Bird’s career ending back injury may not have even happened, as he originally hurt it working on his mother’s driveway. I’d assume with the income of todays players, Larry would have just paid for the work to be done.

I guess the big question with your question is do the players play the same as they did at the time or do they adapt to the new era?  Just going off of two questions from the historical draft: Is Glen Rice the next Ray Allen? Does Bernard King shoot threes?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 08:02:41 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

Bingo

I guess the big question with your question is do the players play the same as they did at the time or do they adapt to the new era?  Just going off of two questions from the historical draft: Is Glen Rice the next Ray Allen? Does Bernard King shoot threes?

I guess it would all depend on the player’s personality.

Some might be open to change their game for the better, whereas other won’t. There are plenty of current players who haven’t reached their potential or are completely out of the league because of their resistance to change.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 08:11:31 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention guys like David Thompson & Spencer Haywood, perhaps victims of the 70’s cocaine era.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 02:30:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Pete Maravich

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 05:36:48 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
If you’re old enough to have watched the NBA in the 80s and 90s, just imagine Jordan without defenders being allowed to hand check on the perimeter. Then imagine if he’d practiced threes since high school. (He didn’t see a 3pt line until he came to the pros.)

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2023, 05:47:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Shaq - as dominant as he was 2000-02, he would even more dominant in today's league. Nobody would be able to stop him. Not with all these small ball lineups. All these undersized centers. All these switching defenses. All these PnR heavy offenses that would have him rolling to the rim for lobs and deep catches against unset defenses. Teams would have to try so hard to keep him out of the paint they would giving wide open jump shots to all of his guards in the PnR. He'd be creating dunks and layups for himself along with wide open threes at a colossal rate. The highest value shot attempts in the league. He would utterly unstoppable.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2023, 06:03:40 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Shaq - as dominant as he was 2000-02, he would even more dominant in today's league. Nobody would be able to stop him. Not with all these small ball lineups. All these undersized centers. All these switching defenses. All these PnR heavy offenses that would have him rolling to the rim for lobs and deep catches against unset defenses. Teams would have to try so hard to keep him out of the paint they would giving wide open jump shots to all of his guards in the PnR. He'd be creating dunks and layups for himself along with wide open threes at a colossal rate. The highest value shot attempts in the league. He would utterly unstoppable.

He's one of the players I love for questions like this, because he would be so completely dominant that NBA rosters would have to adapt to him. Teams would no doubt still go small at times, but they'd have to start carrying a couple of big stiffs just for Shaq. Would those roles have kept guys like Hibbert in the league longer?

It's fun to think about how just one completely dominant big man could change all of these rosters
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2023, 11:10:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Chris Webber jumps to mind. Incredibly versatile but also big and strong enough to be a full time center without problem in today's NBA. I can easily see him becoming a reliable 3-point shooter too if that was asked of him.

Could modern medicine and training have kept him healthier? That's a big question.

Also Mark Price.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2023, 11:24:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Antoine with good coaching. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team