Author Topic: Bulls game postponed.  (Read 3188 times)

Bulls game postponed.
« on: January 11, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Tomorrows game vs the Bulls has been postponed.  tonight's Dallas game postponed as well.  The league is having a GM conference call to discuss things. 

Re: Bulls game postponed.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Things are going along real swimmingly in the NBA these days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Why do you think it is going much worse than the NFL? I don’t have statistics but my gut tells me less than 20% of the NFL players missed time over the whole 17 week season. Several NBA teams have eclipsed this already. Just curious why the disparity.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:00:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why do you think it is going much worse than the NFL? I don’t have statistics but my gut tells me less than 20% of the NFL players missed time over the whole 17 week season. Several NBA teams have eclipsed this already. Just curious why the disparity.
Much closer contact between players for longer periods of time.  No positional separation (i.e. everyone on team is together).  More travel.  Indoors.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but it seems pretty obvious as to why basketball would be hit harder than football.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Much closer contact between players for longer periods of time.  No positional separation (i.e. everyone on team is together).  More travel.  Indoors.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but it seems pretty obvious as to why basketball would be hit harder than football.

Interesting that you would say this because when the pandemic first broke I thought football with scrimmages and scrums would be the most highly impacted by the social distancing protocols.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Looks like a 1-2 week shutdown may be coming:

https://twitter.com/JDumasReports/status/1348697336130650112

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, and also a lot more games per week. Many teams have been playing every other night so far.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I personally think this is the right move, but with the pause they'll need to come up with additional protocols and potentially another bubble-like format. Because I doubt the NBA wants to pause the season multiple times in a short span.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

They will probably go back to bubble life. Reduce number of games and ramp up playoff type games

Players will have to give up a good chunk of their salaries, since owners would have to pay for bubble life

This is just a prediction

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I personally think this is the right move, but with the pause they'll need to come up with additional protocols and potentially another bubble-like format. Because I doubt the NBA wants to pause the season multiple times in a short span.

Pausing will mean ... players will lose their steam and go back to pre season form. 

They need to figure this out and move fwd

Do a regional bubble.   Northwest, Northeast etc.

Until the nba can secure vaccines for their players.

Problems also arising with the NHL

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 02:37:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tomorrows game vs the Bulls has been postponed.  tonight's Dallas game postponed as well.  The league is having a GM conference call to discuss things.

I wonder who on the Bulls got covid

Unless Celts org complaining that team is reduced to a G league team. Little to no chance to win ... unfair

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Was the Bulls game cancellation caused by the Bulls or the Celtics? Was that made clear?

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
NBA needs to revise its protocols.  Isolating 10-14 days is unnecessarily too long by latest CDC standards.  7 days sufficient if no symptoms and test negative on 7th day.

Someone mentioned that the NFL only requires 5 days.

Now that the politics are settled, there needs to be a serious discussion on what is the actual risk, based on science/statistics, of otherwise very healthy young men, ranging in age from 10 to their 30's, getting seriously ill or dying from a COVID infection.    Someone smarter than I can post it.

Assuming that the risk is incredibly low, ask the NBPA whether the players are willing to assume the risk.

Brian Windhorst points out in his podcast that a majority of NBA players by this time have already been infected with the virus, and are now immune.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 04:01:59 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Brian Windhorst points out in his podcast that a majority of NBA players by this time have already been infected with the virus, and are now immune.

I didn't know Windhorst was a medical expert never mind a "sportswriter" that would seek out medical opinion before making that statement.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 04:12:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I didn't know Windhorst was a medical expert never mind a "sportswriter" that would seek out medical opinion before making that statement.

He estimated that. His point was that so many guys have already been infected, they feel immune and are less likely to be careful not to get reinfected. We have already seen players with multiple positive tests (e.g. KD).

The CDC presumably has expertise; what is your opinion on the quarantine period, NBA or CDC recommendations?