Author Topic: Guershon Yabusele  (Read 18249 times)

Guershon Yabusele
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:05:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
25 min (season high) +12 season high

He needs to keep working on his 3 pt shot but in time should be a capable shooter (36 percent from 3 in the d league)

Like his hustle , reach and big body causes issues for opponents on the defensive end

offensively he is reading plays quicker, passing the ball quicker and doing alot of off ball movement stuff better

Hope that he gets another start.   He will make mistakes but he needs exposure on the court vs being buried on the bench

Re: Guershon Yabusele
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's not over react to one game against a Chicago team sporting a G League lineup when evaluating the performances of any of the Celtics players last night. Bird, Yabu, Ojeleye, and Gibson could easily have had games that good against the Delaware 87ers. Heck is it a coincidence Brown put up a career high and Monroe put up his 2nd career triple double in the same game as a bunch of end of the bench scrubs had good games? Of course not. The opposition was awful.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I don’t think the OP overreacted at all. I’m the biggest Yabusele hater there is. I don’t see any potential in him. But I still don’t think he overreacted at all.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Looking at the box score, 6 shot attempts and 4 of them were 3's. 6 rebounds and all of them were defensive. I think he still has a lot to learn about where to be on offense. I know he's got a great motor and an intriguing skillset but he has to learn how to use it. Some of this is that he's not ready to have plays drawn up for him but I want to see him making cuts and crashing the offensive glass.

Look at Jabari Bird last night. He got a ton of points by moving on offense and being in the right place at the right time.

If Yabu figures out where to be agressive, where to focus all his energy, he can have a real impact. I'm hopeful.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Wait and weight

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Let's not over react to one game against a Chicago team sporting a G League lineup when evaluating the performances of any of the Celtics players last night. Bird, Yabu, Ojeleye, and Gibson could easily have had games that good against the Delaware 87ers. Heck is it a coincidence Brown put up a career high and Monroe put up his 2nd career triple double in the same game as a bunch of end of the bench scrubs had good games? Of course not. The opposition was awful.

Nick , playing well against bad teams is a step up to playing better against better competition

Against bad teams  in the past, players xyz failed to make even the slightest improvements

We can all agree Yabu needs more exposure at the nba level. Not only in practice, but in real live games

He played well last night in 25 min (career high).  Hoping he gets to start in the next 2 games before likely the starters get 1 game together before the playoffs

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He shows glimpses of great athleticism like those 2 blocks last night. But he has a long way to go before proving he deserves good minutes. I’d like him to become more assertive thelast several games. Not enough to take the occasional 3 point shot.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
It would be fantastic if he develops into a starter, but even as a role player he could be an interesting piece. A rotation guy who wins a playoff series someday due to matchups, able to defend the post, switch on to 3s and 4s, and shoot the 3.

Big Baby with a better head on his shoulders, 3PT ability, and more defensive athleticism would be a fun guy for years to come...

He could also never develop, but he's definitely intriguing.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Count me among the skeptics on Yabu.  Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for the guy, but I just haven't seen a whole lot that makes me think Yabu is going to be a solid rotation player for us anytime soon. 

He needs a lot of PT to develop.  I just am not sure if he is going to get that with us next year.  I like his hustle though.  I think the big baby comparisons are a bit premature.  I don't think Yabu has the offensive instincts that big baby had.  If he continues to develop his 3pt shot, it might be a way for him to see more PT.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
He'll be 23 in December.  He doesn't have a lot of time to develop and given where the team stands I don't think he'll get much of an opportunity unless he makes a lot of progress over the offseason. 

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 04:26:03 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I have seen glimpses. He can pass and he has moved his feet on defense sometimes that are gifted. He has made some shots to. He does not make stupid turnovers. Brad has said he has some gifts and potential. Like other posters have said he needs playing time. In Brad I trust, I think he will help the dancing bear make it a few years. He is on the cheap the next two years.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This is ridiculous. He’s getting an MRI for “knee soreness”.  Make. It. Stop.  >:( >:(

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/982697403701710849?s=20

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
have seen glimpses. He can pass and he has moved his feet on defense sometimes that are gifted. He has made some shots to. He does not make stupid turnovers. Brad has said he has some gifts and potential.

When he missed the three last night you could see the frustration in his body language.   I think he lacks confidence in his offense.

Draymond Green he is not, nor will he be.  Guys who don't have confidence are all over the place and up and down.   One should never build around them as they can carry you or let you down. 

It would be fantastic if he develops into a starter, but even as a role player he could be an interesting piece.

Nothing I have seen makes me think this will happen.

He needs to keep working on his 3 pt shot but in time should be a capable shooter (36 percent from 3 in the d league)

Like his hustle , reach and big body causes issues for opponents on the defensive end

offensively he is reading plays quicker, passing the ball quicker and doing alot of off ball movement stuff better

Hope that he gets another start.   He will make mistakes but he needs exposure on the court vs being buried on the bench

Does he deserve to start, nope.  I liked his D, but I feel he lacks confidence in his offense.   Some guys never get the confidence.    I am for letting his contract play out but I have serious doubts that he will ever be more than a end of bench guy.   I hope I am wrong, though.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
He's never played in anything close to the NBA.

He has 200- minutes in the NBA this season with the majority garbage time.

He now has three starts and is on a trend. Let's go with 500 minutes next year and become a rotation player the year after that if he dodges being filler in a trade.

Guy is a shooter not a defender. On the Celtics if he could get some points, I'd see them keeping him for his shooting...even though he isn't shooting much yet. 10:1 he's survives the next couple of trades.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yabu is better than Semi and Jabari is better than Nader.