Author Topic: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread  (Read 126059 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #435 on: November 30, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think the thing I find encouraging about the Sactown pick is that the Kings are a real bad defensive team giving up the third most points per game in the league.  That is eventually going to catch up to them, especially once they come to earth with their three point shooting. Bjelica, Hield, Shumpert, Williams and McClemore are just not going to continue to put down threes at the percentage they are now. The Kings will crash eventually.
Looks like they are around 23rd in defense but they are the 2nd fastest pace team which is going to hurt your defense a bit. It also looks like they have played one of the tougher schedules so far.  I think they are going to be able to rack up wins against low-end teams, especially when they start to tank, of which there are plenty.

The Kings are potentially a very good trading partner for teams looking to dump salary (e.g. Wizards).  Zbo, Koufas, Shumpert and McClemore are all on very tradeable 1 year deals.

Edit:  Of course, they are the Kings so there is a good chance they screw things up (e.g.  firing their good coach if he loses a few in a row).   

I'm at peace with the pick being 6-10.  I wouldn't want to suffer through draft lottery night in which the Kings had the most pingpong balls, or anywhere close to the most.  This became my approach after seeing Zion play and picturing him in Philly.   

of course if it ends up at 2 that's the miracle.  I'm leaning Reddish for our Celtics team...better fit than Barrett, but if Barrett is clearly better Danny could take him or do a Philly style trade at top of the draft.  I think Reddish looks like one of those all time shooters...
Reddish and Barrett aren't going to be available at 6-10.  Even if the Kings finish with the worst record, the Sixers would only have a 14% chance at #1.  We'd have an 86% chance at 2-5. 

For the Sixers, I'm not sure Zion is the right choice.  They need shooting.  Barrett and Reddish would be rather good fits for them. 

« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think the thing I find encouraging about the Sactown pick is that the Kings are a real bad defensive team giving up the third most points per game in the league.  That is eventually going to catch up to them, especially once they come to earth with their three point shooting. Bjelica, Hield, Shumpert, Williams and McClemore are just not going to continue to put down threes at the percentage they are now. The Kings will crash eventually.
Looks like they are around 23rd in defense but they are the 2nd fastest pace team which is going to hurt your defense a bit. It also looks like they have played one of the tougher schedules so far.  I think they are going to be able to rack up wins against low-end teams, especially when they start to tank, of which there are plenty.

The Kings are potentially a very good trading partner for teams looking to dump salary (e.g. Wizards).  Zbo, Koufas, Shumpert and McClemore are all on very tradeable 1 year deals.

Edit:  Of course, they are the Kings so there is a good chance they screw things up (e.g.  firing their good coach if he loses a few in a row).   

I'm at peace with the pick being 6-10.  I wouldn't want to suffer through draft lottery night in which the Kings had the most pingpong balls, or anywhere close to the most.  This became my approach after seeing Zion play and picturing him in Philly.   

of course if it ends up at 2 that's the miracle.  I'm leaning Reddish for our Celtics team...better fit than Barrett, but if Barrett is clearly better Danny could take him or do a Philly style trade at top of the draft.  I think Reddish looks like one of those all time shooters...
Reddish and Barrett aren't going to be available at 6-10.  Even if the Kings finish with the worst record, the Sixers would only have a 14% chance at #1.  We'd have an 86% chance at 2-5. 

For the Sixers, I'm not sure Zion is the right choice.  They need shooting.  Barrett and Reddish would be rather good fits for them.

I know...was discussing a miracle leap to #2. 

I think Zion should be picked #1 regardless of any other factors.  His presence is haunting for the other team.  True he doesn't help their outside shooting, but he can pass and dribble and may end up a good shooter too...certainly looks like a much better shooter than Simmons.  They can find some little squirts to shoot from outside if they add Zion.  Let's not forget their current center is a good outside shooter. Glad to hear the odds are so slim for Philly snagging #1.  Not sure that would affect by lottery day anxiety..

« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2018, 08:37:37 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Clearly evidenced by last night's 133-121 loss to the LAC. The one player they had that could continue his 3-pt % went 0-7.
They're going to drop like a stone the second half of the season but man, there are so many bad teams in the East that at least 3-4 of them will have a worse record than Sacto. Only Phoenix looks like they'll finish higher in the lotto in the West. Trades and buy-out can and will have effect on the final records. I'm feeling optimistic, even before they start their tour of winnable games.

What could help with so many bad teams in the east is they have to play each other more, therefore cancel each other out with some more wins.   In the west the only really bad team out there is the Suns, and I like some of their talent starting with Booker.  I think it’s going to be much tougher for the Kings to rack up wins as the season moves on.

Since their 6-3 start they went 4-8.   They have been leveling off lately.

The

« Reply #438 on: November 30, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Clearly evidenced by last night's 133-121 loss to the LAC. The one player they had that could continue his 3-pt % went 0-7.
They're going to drop like a stone the second half of the season but man, there are so many bad teams in the East that at least 3-4 of them will have a worse record than Sacto. Only Phoenix looks like they'll finish higher in the lotto in the West. Trades and buy-out can and will have effect on the final records. I'm feeling optimistic, even before they start their tour of winnable games.

What could help with so many bad teams in the east is they have to play each other more, therefore cancel each other out with some more wins.   In the west the only really bad team out there is the Suns, and I like some of their talent starting with Booker.  I think it’s going to be much tougher for the Kings to rack up wins as the season moves on.

Since their 6-3 start they went 4-8.   They have been leveling off lately.

The
4 of their next 5 are very winnable games.  That should provide a good gauge of the type of team they will be. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #439 on: November 30, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #440 on: November 30, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Like I said before, ATL/CLE/PHO will all finish worse than the Kings, BUT then you have that mix of teams like CHI/NYK/SAC/DAL, etc. and so I still think there's a solid chance this is a Top-5 pick, also when you factor in changes to the lottery system for this year.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #441 on: November 30, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
As long as we’re top 10-12 we have a chance. If kings can continue to lose we will be in a good place

« Reply #442 on: November 30, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Kings monitoring and showing interest in Otto Porter.

Something worth watching. Depends on what the trade actually is but Porter definitely would help/improve the Kings  :(

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2808614-otto-porter-jr-trade-rumors-kings-closely-monitoring-wizards-forward

« Reply #443 on: November 30, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Kings monitoring and showing interest in Otto Porter.

Something worth watching. Depends on what the trade actually is but Porter definitely would help/improve the Kings  :(

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2808614-otto-porter-jr-trade-rumors-kings-closely-monitoring-wizards-forward
I was expecting that.  Koufos and ZBo for Porter and Smith works and it gets the Wizards below the luxury tax line. 

« Reply #444 on: December 01, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Kings currently tied for 2nd worst in the West with the Spurs, and about 7 teams in the East worse than them (though 4 of them are just within 2 games of SAC).

This looks A LOT better than like 10 days ago when SAC was like 4th in the West and their pick didn't even look like a lottery pick at all.

« Reply #445 on: December 01, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Nets, magic hornets heat and wizards need to start winning

« Reply #446 on: December 01, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Nets hornets heat and wizards need to start winning

The first 3 could. Unfortunately I expect WAS to have a fire sale of sorts soon so maybe they end up tanking the year themselves for a high pick.

« Reply #447 on: December 01, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Kings currently tied for 2nd worst in the West with the Spurs, and about 7 teams in the East worse than them (though 4 of them are just within 2 games of SAC).

This looks A LOT better than like 10 days ago when SAC was like 4th in the West and their pick didn't even look like a lottery pick at all.
They're also only a half game behind the Twolves in 8th.

« Reply #448 on: December 01, 2018, 09:32:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
WT

« Reply #449 on: December 01, 2018, 10:28:30 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson