Author Topic: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread  (Read 123785 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
7 PM EST

Sacramento (4-3) @ Orlando (2-4)
FWIW, Orlando is favored by 5.

« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Kings are way better than I thought they'd be so far this year but the 4 wins are against teams with troubles- OKC, Memphis,Washington and Miami.... Still wins are wins.
sac will regress to the mean.

Yeah, they're this year's Orlando Magic. They're young and athletic and excited to be here. When the rest of the league gets in rhythm, they'll fall into the bottom 3 in the West, no question.
They weren't bottom 3 in the west last year.  No guarantee they end up in the bottom 3 this year.  I do think they will be the 3rd worst team in the west with only Dallas and Phoenix behind them, but it is certainly possible that another "Memphis" comes along this year that goes into full bore tanking as a result of injuries, under performance, etc.

You still are on Dallas being that bad? Aside from their opener they have looked pretty solid, including losing a battle last night in San Antonio that went to overtime. Doncic has also looked completely read for the NBA which was a question mark and they haven't had Harrison Barnes at full strength yet. Who, while overpaid, is certainly a starting quality player.
Doncic has definitely looked better than I thought he would thus far this year, but Dallas is 2-5 and that seems about right to me (I pegged them for 20-25 wins and that is the current pace).  They have no legit big men on the roster aside from Jordan (and frankly I think that might include Dirk at this point if he ever comes back).  Finney-Smith, Kleber, and Powell should all be deep bench players, yet all are very much rotation players on the Mavs.  Their roster construction problems I described have definitely been born out thus far, as they have like 5 competent players, only 1 of which is a PF or C - Doncic, Smith, Matthews, Jordan, and Barnes.  They might have the worst bench in the league and that starting 5 isn't exactly the Warriors.  I also think Carlisle is worn out and should retire as I just don't think he has the heart for a rebuild and the Mavs are most definitely rebuilding.

I think the Kings with all of their depth and youth are going to run and run a lot.  I believe they have the fastest pace in the league right now, and I think they continue to play at that speed.  I think that pace is going to allow them to win games against better teams (especially at home) as the season goes on.  I still see the Kings as a 30 win team, which as I've said I believe is better than the Mavs and Suns, as well as 3 or 4 teams in the East (Hawks, Bulls, and Knicks - maybe the Cavs, Hornets, Nets, and Magic depending on what they end up doing). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bagley reminds me of Lamar Odom.

« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Teams worse or on par with SAC:

Cleveland
Atlanta
Chicago
Brooklyn
Orlando
New York
Phoenix
Dallas

Probably 5-10

« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Kings are way better than I thought they'd be so far this year but the 4 wins are against teams with troubles- OKC, Memphis,Washington and Miami.... Still wins are wins.

Yeah, they're this year's Orlando Magic. They're young and athletic and excited to be here. When the rest of the league gets in rhythm, they'll fall into the bottom 3 in the West, no question.
They weren't bottom 3 in the west last year.  No guarantee they end up in the bottom 3 this year.  I do think they will be the 3rd worst team in the west with only Dallas and Phoenix behind them, but it is certainly possible that another "Memphis" comes along this year that goes into full bore tanking as a result of injuries, under performance, etc.

You still are on Dallas being that bad? Aside from their opener they have looked pretty solid, including losing a battle last night in San Antonio that went to overtime. Doncic has also looked completely read for the NBA which was a question mark and they haven't had Harrison Barnes at full strength yet. Who, while overpaid, is certainly a starting quality player.
Doncic has definitely looked better than I thought he would thus far this year, but Dallas is 2-5 and that seems about right to me (I pegged them for 20-25 wins and that is the current pace).  They have no legit big men on the roster aside from Jordan (and frankly I think that might include Dirk at this point if he ever comes back).  Finney-Smith, Kleber, and Powell should all be deep bench players, yet all are very much rotation players on the Mavs.  Their roster construction problems I described have definitely been born out thus far, as they have like 5 competent players, only 1 of which is a PF or C - Doncic, Smith, Matthews, Jordan, and Barnes.  They might have the worst bench in the league and that starting 5 isn't exactly the Warriors.  I also think Carlisle is worn out and should retire as I just don't think he has the heart for a rebuild and the Mavs are most definitely rebuilding.

I think the Kings with all of their depth and youth are going to run and run a lot.  I believe they have the fastest pace in the league right now, and I think they continue to play at that speed.  I think that pace is going to allow them to win games against better teams (especially at home) as the season goes on.  I still see the Kings as a 30 win team, which as I've said I believe is better than the Mavs and Suns, as well as 3 or 4 teams in the East (Hawks, Bulls, and Knicks - maybe the Cavs, Hornets, Nets, and Magic depending on what they end up doing).

I hadn't really heard or read anything about Carlisle being burned out. This is news to me.

« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I hadn't really heard or read anything about Carlisle being burned out. This is news to me.
If we didn’t have Stevens I’d choose Carlisle over any other coach.  Maybe he doesn’t want to be rebuilding forever but I think he has tons of years as a coach to look forward to.

« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If we didn’t have Stevens I’d choose Carlisle over any other coach.  Maybe he doesn’t want to be rebuilding forever but I think he has tons of years as a coach to look forward to.

He is also 59, which isn't incredibly older by coaching standards. Would seem early to retire unless there are some health issues or something else i missed with him.

« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2018, 09:36:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
5-3. Fairly easy win at Orlando.  And man I'm glad Bjelica spurned the Sixers as he has been quite good this year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I've always liked and routed for the Kings because of their long history (plus the Webber poster I had as a kid). It sucks that I want them to lose when they have a surprisingly and relatively exciting young team having a nice go of it.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2018, 11:16:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I've always liked and routed for the Kings because of their long history (plus the Webber poster I had as a kid). It sucks that I want them to lose when they have a surprisingly and relatively exciting young team having a nice go of it.

I would like them otherwise myself also

« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2018, 11:56:04 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Should we change this to 76ers pick watch?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #342 on: October 31, 2018, 01:04:12 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Whoa whoa whoa Sacramento's been balling lately. Better record than the LeBron-led Lakers or Westbrook-led Thunder.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #343 on: October 31, 2018, 01:04:24 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Should we change this to 76ers pick watch?

Great idea imo!!  ;D

« Reply #344 on: October 31, 2018, 01:06:38 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Whoa whoa whoa Sacramento's been balling lately. Better record than the LeBron-led Lakers or Westbrook-led Thunder.
Lakers and thunder have played horrible lol