Author Topic: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics  (Read 15617 times)

Re: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I understand the frustration with Smart but he's still my favorite player in the league. I think what he brings in leadership, heart, and versatility is a big part of why the Celtics have been as successful as they have been the last couple of years.

I also think his market as a free agent is going to be pretty cold if his shooting stays where it is so I'm not worried about paying him. Tyreke, on the other hand, signed a bargain deal this summer because he was such and injury risk. If he can finish this season healthy and with a reliable 3 point shot, he's going to be a lot more expensive than Smart.

Tyreke could be terrific in Stevens' system. Think Evan Turner but Tyreke actually developed a 3 point shot. But I don't want to give up much for a rental.

and if it stays this way...why should the celts want to extend to Smart?

team has needed some offensive outbursts from him, especially if Kyrie is struggling or out of the game....  he has given us zero in these situations on the offensive end

For the reasons I listed: his leadership, heart, and versatility. I think players who do what Smart does (as a defender, playmaker, and leader) are rare but can be relatively inexpensive because those kinds of attributes are often underrated.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I understand the frustration with Smart but he's still my favorite player in the league. I think what he brings in leadership, heart, and versatility is a big part of why the Celtics have been as successful as they have been the last couple of years.

I also think his market as a free agent is going to be pretty cold if his shooting stays where it is so I'm not worried about paying him. Tyreke, on the other hand, signed a bargain deal this summer because he was such and injury risk. If he can finish this season healthy and with a reliable 3 point shot, he's going to be a lot more expensive than Smart.

Tyreke could be terrific in Stevens' system. Think Evan Turner but Tyreke actually developed a 3 point shot. But I don't want to give up much for a rental.

team has needed some offensive outbursts from him, especially if Kyrie is struggling or out of the game....  he has given us zero in these situations on the offensive end

For the reasons I listed: his leadership, heart, and versatility. I think players who do what Smart does (as a defender, playmaker, and leader) are rare but can be relatively inexpensive because those kinds of attributes are often underrated.
Agree with this, sign him cheap for now and his offense will come, then you have another bargain contract

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Big fan of Smart but if Danny wanted to pull the trigger on a Tyreke Evans trade I'd have to consider it a win for us. Tyreke has an absolutely ridiculous wingspan and his game is perfectly suited to anchor a bench unit on a contender. He's one of the few guys in the league as physically imposing as Smart is at the 1-3 position. (Smart is listed at 6'4 220 and Reke is at 6'6 220 according to Basketball Reference)

Do not want to see Smart traded but I admit, this is one I could really stomach. Although honestly I dont see it happening since Stevens describes Smart as the most knowledgeable player of our offense and I think Tyreke is more of a 'play my game' kind of guy. We'd take a massive hit in leadership, intangibles and culture in this trade, albeit at a massive gain to our bench scoring.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:17:57 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
does not move the needle .  rew mote,points till Hayward retirns and Morris is healthy .  Drop of in winning basket plays , passing . Smart is the emotional leader ,  he lifts the team at crunch time , making any play necessary to win .  Poor trade.

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 05:15:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Agree with this, sign him cheap for now and his offense will come, then you have another bargain contract

no it won't...

it is what it is

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 09:44:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Don't even know much about Tyreke Evans..i think that means no
won't trade Smart for scrubs, he has value here
The 2010 ROY who has basically been a 16/5/5 guy his whole career, who is closing in on 20/5/5 this year? You haven't heard much of him?

He is so much better than Smart it's not funny. Calling Evans a scrub in comparison to Smart is laughably misinformed
Lol i have heard about his name couple times but really nothing more(watching from 2008),
Is he good or just stat padding on bad teams?
(Smart single handedly win us game 3 vs Cavs in ECF, is he good enough to do that?)
He's a really good offensive talent, basically a 6'6" PG, but he got screwed by being on that rubbish Sacramento team that ruined nearly all their young talent.

I reckon he'd be perfect for our team, as he would be the ideal guy off the bench for us in terms of shot creation and defensive versatility. He can also take over games, similarly to Smart. However he isn't the defender that Smart is, and isn't as gritty.
That good, but what about his contract? Smart is likely to get ~1000 or even less with how he shoot now, we can't afford another big contract on someone off the bench
Smart is get 1000 whats?
1000M$
Wait what?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

no it won't...

it is what it is
He went 4-4 from 3 and 5-6 from field last night, his ft% isn't bad, he is showing flashs
I really think he is going to take a huge lift as soon as next year

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

no it won't...

it is what it is
He went 4-4 from 3 and 5-6 from field last night, his ft% isn't bad, he is showing flashs
I'm as big of a Smart supporter as there is but he's had those types of games his whole career. He's even had stretches over multiple weeks where it looks like he's figured it out. It hasn't happened.

It's definitely possible he could turn into an average shooter. Some guys figure it out late. But I'm not looking at last night's game and taking it as a sign of anything.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Considering stage of career, some battles with Injuries, i think the Celts would keep Evans to a 3 year 30-35 million dollar deal.  And it would be worth it

Can you explain how the C's will open up the necessary cap space to accomplish this?
We can go over the cap for Smart but not Evans. So Smart is more valuable to us because we can keep him no matter what. I may over value Smart. He knows his role and wants to be a Celtic, that to me means something.

baynes, larkin for example are only signed for this season 

Wyc can also afford to pay some luxury tax

It has nothing to do with luxury tax or those guys being free agents. You need to look at our salary for next year so you can understand what I'm talking about.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

no it won't...

it is what it is
I'm as big of a Smart supporter as there is but he's had those types of games his whole career. He's even had stretches over multiple weeks where it looks like he's figured it out. It hasn't happened.

It's definitely possible he could turn into an average shooter. Some guys figure it out late. But I'm not looking at last night's game and taking it as a sign of anything.
I have faith in him, i see his hot-cold streak as a sign of process for progress, that he isn't like Rondo and has a very high chance to improve over the years
He still has the chance to become a better shooter/passer and much better defender but worse touch wade

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

no it won't...

it is what it is

I have faith in him, i see his hot-cold streak as a sign of process for progress, that he isn't like Rondo and has a very high chance to improve over the years
He still has the chance to become a better shooter/passer and much better defender but worse touch wade
It's true that he's not like Rondo. Rondo's problem became an unwillingness to shoot. By refusing to shoot when he was wide open he'd destroy the Celtics' spacing and wind up handicapping the offense. His trouble with FT's made him stop going to the hoop. Now, he's been a decent 3 point shooter for about 3 years probably because he's gotten used to taking the shots.

Smart just making himself a threat, however minor, is better for the offense than if he stopped shooting altogether.

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Hell no. Danny farts in the phone and hangs up.

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 01:12:53 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hope Tyreke to Boston happens!

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 02:20:26 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I feel that Yabusele have higher ceiling than Rabb will have. But the ship has sailed with McLemore. He had the potential but just couldn't put it together.

I'd love to have Evans, but not at he expense of Smart or any positive key rotation players with the team.

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »

Offline osterhagen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
what are rumors about marc gasols availability?

can we trade they guy we sign with DPE right away?

Gasol and Reke would put us over any team