Author Topic: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra  (Read 6944 times)

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
NON SPOILER REVIEW

So I just got back from GI Joe, and thought overall it was a pretty good movie.  On the same level as Transformers or X-Men in my opinion, and personally I think it’s better than either of the Transformers movies, and you know there’s going to be sequels (obviously just from the titles, Rise of Cobra, you know they're trying to develop this thing).  The movie did a decent set up of some of the characters past stories, and had action the whole way.  Basically going in you know the kind of movie you’re going to get, and it delivers.

Some actors played their parts well, but I personally think Channing Tatum (who plays Duke) does a terrible job, but that’s just because I think he’s a terrible actor and is so wrong for the role of Duke.  John Cena has more charisma than this guy.  The Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow characters played their parts well I think, but Storm Shadow’s costume, while similar to the original, just doesn’t look right.  All that white just looks out of place, comes of like a cheap Halloween costume, maybe if they made Storm Shadow’s clothes sleeveless and maybe a more off color white, it would have looked better.

Now I’m a huge fan of GI Joe, read the comics (still have them all), watched the cartoon (have everything that’s been released on DVD), and my only beef with the movie is all the parts that I feel stray from the original GI Joe story lines, which we’ll get to in the Spoiler section, but there were a lot of parts that stayed true to the original story lines too.

Overall I think this is a very good summer blockbuster, I thought it was very enjoyable, better than Transformers (but on the same level) in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:53:24 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Spoiler Alert
The plot works for me, basically sets the foundation for future movies which you know Hollywood will milk for all its worth, but my beef is definitely how I feel it strays from the original story lines.  Now please understand I was a HUGE fan of the original comics and cartoons, so as a fan, I just didn't like all the things they switched up.  Works for the movie, but doesn't work with the past story lines and histories.  So as a GI Joe fanatic growing up, here's my rant of all the things I didn't like, and the things I did like:

Characters
Destro’s background story stays pretty true to the original (except in the comics and cartoon he wears his mask as a family honor, here he has the mask forced on him at the end of the movie, but I’m ok with this as I can see how it’s hard to have him rocking the mask throughout for cinematic purposes, and now it looks like he’s going to come back in sequels with the mask.  Still repping MARS industries.  I’m happy with the Destro character.

Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow background story is a little different than their original, but works for the movie, and is close enough to make me happy.  In their original story (from the comics), Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow met during the Vietnam war as US Soldiers, and has a lot more twists and turns, but here they met as kids in Japan.  Both were trained by Storm Shadows family, but here the Hard Master is killed when they are both still kids, rather than adults sometime after the Vietnam War as in the comics.  Now I’m satisfied with the way this strayed from the original story lines, as it kept the same major elements, but condensed it down with a story that works for the movie and is brief enough for the time aloud. (Although touching on their background story less, and building it up true to the original comic story with a Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow origins movie like they did with Wolverine Orgins would have been awesome.) Obviously they couldn’t meet in Vietnam like in the comics, but maybe they could have made them meet during a war with Iraq instead? And they have their nicknames since kids which I didn’t really like, it would have been more true to the original if they called Storm Shadow Tommy, but it’s hard to do anything with Snake Eyes since his real name has never been revealed. Near the end of the movie, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow have a showdown which Snake Eyes appears to win (although likely Storm Shadow is going to make a comeback in the sequels) didn't like this as Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow always seemd to fight to more of a draw. Overall I’m satisfied with what they did with these characters, and think they did a good job.

Dennis Quaid makes a good Hawk I think, no real story with him though.

Channing Tatum makes for a terrible Duke I think.  I think he’s a terrible actor with no charisma.  I feel in the comics and cartoons, Duke is more of an older (mid-to-late 30’s?) leader, while Channing Tatum looks like mid-to-late 20’s and does not come off as much of a leader (though he is the main character of the movie).  And they make Duke and the Baroness have a love relationship (Duke proposed to the Baroness about 4 years ago) then they torn apart by Duke seemingly being responsible for the Baroness’ brothers death.  Didn't like this angle of the movie.

Marlon Wayans plays Ripcord well, he comes of funny, but as a more serious actor.  He plays the role well, but I hate Marlon Wayans as Ripcord because Ripcord is white.   It would be one thing if GI Joe was made up of all white guys, but GI Joe had to be one of the most ethically diverse cartoons/comics of all time.  Tons of black characters like Doc, Stalker, Roadblock, Iceberg, Alpine etc, and tons of other ethnic characters too like Quick Kick, Blow Torch, Zap, Spirit, Torpedo, etc.  You don’t need to switch up the ethnicities for the movie.  Ripcord was never really that funny in the cartoons/comics, more comedic guys were Shipwreck, Alpine, Quick Kick, so why change his character up for the movie?  Also Ripcord is trying to get with Scarlett.  If staying true with the comics/cartoons Scarlett’s love interest would be either Duke (cartoon) or Snake Eyes (comics), so why make Ripcord into her?  Also the movie makes Ripcord more of a pilot, rather than a HALO Jumper, and one scene while Ripcord does some nice flying, Scarlett refers to him as Ace.  Now even though that was just a nickname she threw out there in reference to the flying he just did, I don’t like this cuz Ace (who is a pilot) is a completely different GI Joe character, can’t throw that name out there, just seems wrong to me.  If I didn’t have any idea of the past history, I would be happy with Marlon Wayans character, but knowing the past I’m not that happy. 

Same as with making Ripcord black, they make Breaker Moroccan, so many ethnicities available, no need for this.  They do show Breaker chewing bubble gum and blowing a bubble, which is a nice classic cartoon/comic reference.

Heavy Duty in my opinion shouldn’t even be in the movie, why not make him Roadblock instead?  Also maybe a little corny, but they should have made him speak in rhyme (at least sometimes).  Heavy Duty wasn’t in the original cartoon, and was only in one (out of about 200+ including spin offs) issues of the original comic run, such an insignificant minor character in the original story lines, that’s why I feel he shouldn’t even be in the movie.  Although he was a major character in the very recent Sigma Six cartoons, so I could understand why they’d include him for the newer fans.  Still they make him British, like I’ve said several times before, no need to change up the ethnicities.

Scarlett, like Duke, I feels comes off too young. From the cartoons/comics I always pictured her somewhere in her 30’s, as opposed to her mid 20’s.  Kind of hard to be such an experienced soldier when you’re so young.  Her background story is basically only that she graduated college at age 12, while that’s not in any of the original story lines, so insignificant I don’t really care.

Baroness/Cobra Commander.
The Baroness, like Duke and Scarlett I felt too young, and the tie in with Duke I don’t like.  Also she’s American in the movie, while in the comics/cartoons she’s European.  Why do you need to make American characters European, and European characters American?  Grrr.  Also she turns good near the end of the movie, but you can see she’s probably going to turn back to the other side in the sequels.  Now the Cobra Commander character doesn’t get the name “Commander” (never referenced as Cobra Commander) till the end of the movie.  His character comes off as a cross between Cobra Commander and Dr. Mindbender (as he is referred to as Dr. in the movie and wears a monical, but they show Dr. Minderbender briefly in a flashback scene) but you always know who that character is suppossed to be.  Cobra Commander reveals his face in the middle of the movie, which is horribly disfigured (true to the cartoon, but not the comics), but Cobra Commander never reveals his face to the audience in the comics/cartoons!  Grrr.  Turns out Cobra Commander is the Baroness’ younger brother and was in the army with Duke.  This makes him like mid to early 20’s. Are you kidding me?  I like Cobra Commanders voice, close to a hiss, but not really (as that would probably come off kind of stupid), works well for the big screen adoption.  I hate how much this whole thing deviates from the comic/cartoon story lines though.

Zartan, wasn’t much with this character, and those not really familiar with the comics/story line might not realize he’s supposed to be a master of disguise, he’s takes the place of the President of the US at the end, but this may have been missed by the more causual fans/movie-goers, will probably see a lot more from him in the next movie.

GI Joes main base is the Pit, keeps in line with the comics, although it’s in Egypt.  I can accept this with GI Joe becoming a worldwide organization in later comics/cartoons.  And makes sense with having different ethnic characters (but still not happy about changing characters ethnicities up, but understandable why they did it.

Accesories/Vehicles
Now GI Joe has these enhancement suits that Duke and Ripcord wear, makes them super human, HATE IT!  The thing I always liked about GI Joe was it was regular guys without superpowers.  This pretty much takes that element away.  Totally unnecessary if you ask me.

The GI Joe SHARC and USS Flagg makes appearances, as does the Cobra Nightraven which is cool.

Overall liked the movie, but just didn’t like some of the major deviations from the original story lines. 

To summarize (because I know this got long) things I didn’t like:
  • Some characters came off too young: Duke, Scarlett, Cobra Commander.  Obviously movie has a younger target audience, still didn’t like this.
  • Enhancement Suits: makes Joes superhuman basically giving them superpowers, something GI Joe never had.
  • Changing up ethnicities.  Such a diverse GI Joe roster, no need for this.
  • Scarlett/Ripcord and Duke/Baroness love relationships, and the Duke/Baroness/Cobra Commander relationship.  So many characters that already had established relationships throughout the comics/cartoons, why make all new ones?

Again, not that I didn't like the movie, but as such a hardcore fan, didn't like all the things that didn't stay true with the comics and cartoons.

Rant over.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:00:15 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:00:02 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i took my 2 boys...it was cheesy and the acting was horrid...but i enjoyed it

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I saw it Friday. Acting was terrible, plot was non existent, dialouge was horrid, all in all a bad, bad movie.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:11:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This has three kinds of awful written all over it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I respect your report style review.  It seems like these movies don't care about capturing the heart of the franchise.  It's all about MTVing it up for the kids. 

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I saw it Friday. Acting was terrible, plot was non existent, dialouge was horrid, all in all a bad, bad movie.

Wht he means is, it was exactly like the cartoon.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i want to see this, but once its on dvd.  the reason??.....this guy is in it  :D

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
i want to see this, but once its on dvd.  the reason??.....this guy is in it  :D

Ray Park is pretty baller.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I thought it was a horrible movie, extremely cheesey.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:20:23 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
I think you have to be under 10 to like.  I agree with everything RebusRakin said.  Plot was horrible, acting was terrible, I am really really shocked someone actually liked this... must be a pre teen thing.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
how in the heck does channing tatum even get gigs as an actor? i think a chair could act out a role more convincingly than channing, the guy is simply terrible. the line where he tells the chick "i'm gonna get you out of here" made me laugh out loud in the theater, it was that bad.

i'm not nearly as high on this movie as others seem to be. there wasn't much thought put into it, i felt like there were holes all through the story line, and dennis quaid wasting the line "and knowing is half the battle" at the dumbest part possible in the movie made me sick.

my summary is this: you can wrap a crap up in tin foil, glitter, and tinsel, but it's still a crap. in the same way, just because you slap the name "GI Joe" on a movie and pack it full of explosions doesn't change the fact that the rest of what makes up the movie is simply terrible.

did i mention i thought this movie sucked?

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
100% right screwedupmaniac, couldn't have said it better.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Wanna know how you can tell a really bad movie?

If you shut your eyes while you're watching it and just listen to it and A) you have no idea what the heck is going on, all you hear is the sound of cars crunching and stuff, and you get really annoyed, or if you hear the dialogue without seeing the hot girl saying all of it and think "Wow. Really?"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
alot of people on here thought transformers 2 sucked and i really enjoyed it.  its all about personal preference i guess. i have read some bad reviews about this film online. too each their own i guess.....i still want to rent it on dvd when it is released.  at least if i think it sucked, it will only cost me a couple of bucks, rather than paying to see it in the cinema.