Author Topic: What movies have you walked out of?  (Read 49556 times)

Re: What movies have you walked out of?
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2009, 09:50:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
And also I am dead against highly dated films that maybe only one whole generation would appreciate as being in the top 100.

For example.

I think people will watch the following movies a thousand years from now maybe

Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Clockwork Orange, Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, Sound of Music, maybe Star Wars, It's a Wonderful Life, Wizard of Oz, Rudy

These won't be watched 100 years from now

Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, a lot of the WW2 movies, a lot of movies based on special effects when special effects were bad like King Kong, Look Who's Coming to Dinner,
A lot of Hitchcock will stand the test of time.

Casablanca is going nowhere..same with Citizen Kane, Gone with teh Wind, I think Rudy will be forgotten...I mean how many kids watch Life of Brian now?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2009, 09:53:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I would have walked out on "The Love Guru", but the bonehead blonde who forced me to go was laughing hysterically.   I haven't seen her since that night.   She hated "Wall-E" and loved "The Love Guru"... something was seriously wrong with that broad.

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
And also I am dead against highly dated films that maybe only one whole generation would appreciate as being in the top 100.

For example.

Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Clockwork Orange, Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, Sound of Music, maybe Star Wars, It's a Wonderful Life, Wizard of Oz, Rudy

Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, a lot of the WW2 movies, a lot of movies based on special effects when special effects were bad like King Kong, Look Who's Coming to Dinner,

Casablanca is going nowhere..same with Citizen Kane, Gone with teh Wind, I think Rudy will be forgotten...I mean how many kids watch Life of Brian now?

Throw Life of Brian on a top 100 list and more people will watch it just because it's there.

Life of Brian is truly a great movie. Just needs more PR.

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2009, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline scootman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Dumb and Dumber the second time i saw it.  Yes, I know everyone will disagree with me, but I am NOT a fan of that movie.

i loved that movie saw the sequel for free on demand oh my god worst movie ever created. the only smirk was that bob saget was in it. thatwas the  only semi funny but not funny thing about it

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2009, 06:15:09 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

For example.

Gone With the Wind will stand the test of time, ask any girl
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

For example.

Throw Life of Brian on a top 100 list and more people will watch it just because it's there.

Oh I absolutely agree. My gym teacher made us watch it during Gym class in high school because none of us had seen it.

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

For example.

So does that mean Titanic will as well?

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Duplicity is by far one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I didn't walk out of it, but I should have.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

For example.

Gone with the wind and titanic aren't the same thing..but yeah, titanic might.

Think about it like this: Will teachers make kids watch it in highschool in 20-30 years?

If the answer of that is yes, then yes the movie will stand the test of time.

Thats why Glory is remembered. And Swing Kids. And Aurevour Les Enfants.

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The town puts on free outdoor family movie screenings a few times during the summer.  They set up a big projector and speakers, and everyone gathers on the Town Hall lawn to watch something family-friendly.  

Now, having a young daughter, we tend to watch a lot of kids' movies.  Pixar stuff we all know is awesome.  Classic Disney, some great, some that's not my favorite but it's all watchable.  Recent Disney, a lot more "meh" but I can sit there.

They showed "Bee Movie" last summer.....   HORRIBLE.  I mean...   just DUMB.  I'm not the biggest Seinfeld guy in the world, but I've got to channel my Inner Walton and saw "that movies is TERRRRIBLE!"

So, we walked home.  Kid didn't care, it wasn't even holding her interest.

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I walked out of a film called Audition. Japanese horror. There were people having some stomach uneasiness around me :P

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

For example.

Think about it like this: Will teachers make kids watch it in highschool in 20-30 years?

I think it'll be watched in film schools but that's it. The value of the film originally wasn't (and probably still isn't) as a civil war film, but as a romance film and coming of age story.

Plus it's like a week long.  When all the soldiers are suffering that's how I feel.

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2009, 11:07:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

For example.

I think it'll be watched in film schools but that's it. The value of the film originally wasn't (and probably still isn't) as a civil war film, but as a romance film and coming of age story.

Plus it's like a week long.  When all the soldiers are suffering that's how I feel.

As an historian, I find Gone with the Wind much more useful in the classroom than Glory. Both glorify (ha) the truth of what happened in the Civil War, but at least GWTW doesn't pretend to be a true story.  Glory changes characters, invents situations/people, changes Robert Gould Shaw's persona based off historical evidence, and probably worst, shows most of the members of the 54th as former slaves, when few really were.  While GWTW paints a romanticized picture of the South, it can be used to explain historical memory in a way that Glory cannot.  The key to teaching using GWTW is to ask the kids, why is the South portrayed this way?  With Glory its more, why did the director change so much?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

For example.

Oh I absolutely agree. My gym teacher made us watch it during Gym class in high school because none of us had seen it.

Life of Brian = Monty Python comedy

Brian's Song = story of Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers

If people are missing out on that story in 100 years, that's their own bad.  It's 100 times better than Rudy (which I also found enjoyable, although not an all-time great film).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2009, 10:43:59 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

For example.

As an historian, I find Gone with the Wind much more useful in the classroom than Glory. Both glorify (ha) the truth of what happened in the Civil War, but at least GWTW doesn't pretend to be a true story.  Glory changes characters, invents situations/people, changes Robert Gould Shaw's persona based off historical evidence, and probably worst, shows most of the members of the 54th as former slaves, when few really were.  While GWTW paints a romanticized picture of the South, it can be used to explain historical memory in a way that Glory cannot.  The key to teaching using GWTW is to ask the kids, why is the South portrayed this way?  With Glory its more, why did the director change so much?

I see what you are saying but technically Glory is also a form of historical memory. In both cases directors sort of didn't let facts get in the way of the truth and depicted the legend of the situation.