Author Topic: Celtics (34-24) at Raptors (20-39) 4/13  (Read 50252 times)

Celtics (34-24) at Raptors (20-39) 4/13
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Boston Celtics (34-24) at Toronto Raptors (20-39)
Friday, April 13
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #59 – Road Game #29
TV: CSNNE, SNET1,  NBA-LP 751
Radio:  WEEI, CJCL  
Air Canada Centre

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG:   Rajon Rondo
SG:  Avery Bradley  
SF:  Paul Pierce
PF:  Brandon Bass  
C:   Kevin Garnett

Celtics Reserves
Ray Allen
E'twaun Moore
Greg Stiemsma
JaJuan Johnson
Sasha Pavlovic
Marquis Daniels
Ryan Hollins
Keyon Dooling

Injured
Jermaine O'Neal (wrist)  out
Ray Allen (ankle) day to day
Brandon Bass (knee) probable  

Probable Starters
PGSG SF PFC
PG:  Jose Calderon  
SG: DeMar DeRozan
SF: Alan Anderson
PF:  Amir Johnson
C:   Aaron Gray

Raptors Bench
Ed Davis  
Jamaal Magloire
Gary Forbes
Solomon Alabi  
Linas Kleiza
James Johnson
Ben Uzoh
Justin Dentmon

Injuries
Jose Calderon (eye)  day to day
Andrea Bargnani  (calf)  day to day
Jerryd Bayless (oblique)  out  

Team Connections
Rajon Rondo, Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey and Jamaal Magloire all attended the University of Kentucky
Jermaine O’Neal played in Toronto during the 2008-09 season
Linas Kleiza and Keyon Dooling both went to the University of Missouri
Brandon Bass and Jamaal Magloire were teammates in Dallas during the 2007-08 season.

Key Matchups
 vs  
Rajon Rondo vs Jose Calderon

vs  
Kevin Garnett vs Aaron Gray

Honorable Mention
vs
Avery Bradley vs DeMar DeRozan

Keys to the Game
Rebound -  The Celtics have got to crash the boards to prevent second chance points.  Rebounding takes effort and when they aren't winning the battle of the boards, they aren't putting the effort out in other areas either.  The Celtics may be ranked last in rebounding but they have proved that when they really want them, the Celtics can grab rebounds.  

Focus - The Celtics tend to lose focus and take some teams for granted, and play down to their level.  They have to keep their focus and play their game whether they are playing the Heat or the Raptors because when the Raptors are taken for granted, they have shown that they can steal a win against +.500 teams.  

Defense -  The Celtics must make defense their first priority in each and every game.  They have once again found their defensive identity and their recent surge is the result of that.   They need to play tough defense and lock down the Raptors.  A nice blow out win would be nice since this is the first of back to back to back games and defense is what will give the starters some rest for the next game.    

Be Aggressive - When the Celtics are aggressive in going after loose balls, in going to the hoop, and in crashing the boards, they are really tough to beat.  As they move through this tough stretch, they will need to be more aggressive going to the hoop especially because as their legs get tired, the jumpers won't fall near as easily.  

Game Notes
The Celtics continue their brutal stretch of 7 games in 9 nights and begin their first and only back to back to back series with this game in Toronto.  They got a boost from the return of Mickael Pietrus in their last game but lost Ray Allen once again with the swelling in his ankle.  Ray did not travel with the team and is back to the ubiquitous day to day designation.  With Pietrus back and playing well and contributing, it seems like a good move to let Ray sit until he is 100%.  The Raptors have some injury problems of their own with Calderon, Kleiza, and Bargnani all listed as questionable for this game.  Calderon was playing with a bruised eye courtesy of the Sixers and then in their last game,  he was elbowed in the same eye by the Sixers once again.  

The Celtics have won their last 4 games, all against playoff teams.  The Raptors have lost their last 4 games and are way out of the playoffs with the 3rd worst record in the East.  The Raptors are 11-19 at home while the Celtics are 13-15 on the road.  The Celtics are 8-2 in their last 10 games while the Raptors are 4-6 in their last 10.  

In looking at the stats, it's hard to see why the Raptors' record is so bad.  They are 27th in scoring (91.3) but the Celtics are just slightly better on offense at 91.8).  On defense, the Celtics allow 89.6 ppg (3rd) on 41.9% shooting (1st).  The Raptors aren't great, but they aren't bad either, ranking 13th in points allowed (94.9) and 9th in FG% allowed (43.9%).  The Raptors rank 19th in rebounding with 41.6 while the Celtics are still last, pulling down just 38.9 rpg,  although, in recent games against some very good rebounding teams,  the Celtics have cleaned up on the boards.  The Raptors also turn the ball over slightly less than the Celtics (14.98 for the Raps to 15.03 for the C's).  

The Raptors just don't seem all that bad when you look at their stats so I'm hoping the Celtics don't underestimate them because the Raptors can be tough when they want to be.  Ever since the Gerald Green alley oop dunk on them, the Raptors and their fans have very much disliked the Celtics and I expect a non-tanking effort from them in this game.  Hopefully, the Celtics don't underestimate them and come out ready for this game.  

X-Factors
Fatigue and Focus
The Celtics are playing in their 3rd game in 4 nights along with the travel,  and have games on Saturday and Sunday also.  They could be facing some fatigue and so they need to be able to fight through it.  If the focus is there, as it was against the Heat and Hawks,  they should get a win. Sometimes, though, against the weaker teams, they lose focus and allow those teams to sneak in a win.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:12:58 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (34-24) at Raptors (20-39) 4/13
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
That is one terrible Raptors team. Some teams are just never good.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Here's some stats for Doc to consider:

Minutes over the past 10 games:

Pierce - 36
Rondo -  38
KG  -    33
Bass -   36

Meanwhile...

Ginobili - 25
Duncan -   29
Parker -   30
Blair -    21

I know the Spurs have tremendous depth and have had the luxury of sitting pretty for a while, but i think Doc needs to take a page out of Pop's book and start to reel these old fellas in a bit.  What better game to start with than tomorrow night?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:18:09 PM by jgod213 »

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Pierce - 36
Rondo -  38
KG  -    33
Bass -   36

Meanwhile...

Ginobili - 25
Duncan -   29
Parker -   30
Blair -    21

I know the Spurs have tremendous depth and have had the luxury of sitting pretty for a while, but i think Doc needs to take a page out of Pop's book and start to reel these old fellas in a bit.  What better game to start with than tomorrow night?

Interesting to see Blair playing only 21 minutes. He's a young fella after all. Creating more playing time for Splitter may be the reasoning.
In this year's edition of playoffs, I expect home court advantage to play a lesser role and that's the reason Pop is resting his stars amidst a run to the top seed.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Pierce - 36
Rondo -  38
KG  -    33
Bass -   36

Meanwhile...

Ginobili - 25
Duncan -   29
Parker -   30
Blair -    21

With that said, are you just going to dismiss our record during the first part of the season, they can AFFORD to rest their players... we can cut back during this stretch of bad teams but we could not against the teams we have played the last weeks. Doc has actually kept the team to reasonable minutes this season... even through all the injuries! What really bad injuries have the Spurs had to deal with... case is rested.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:23:42 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Pierce - 36
Rondo -  38
KG  -    33
Bass -   36

Meanwhile...

Ginobili - 25
Duncan -   29
Parker -   30
Blair -    21

Pops strategy of piling up wins and then resting players before playoffs wasnt exactly an example of success last year, so why should we follow suit? Im all for trimming the minutes down to low 30s per game for Pierce and Garnett, but honestly they're not far from that anyway.

Keep them playing to give them some rhythm going into the postseason, and maybe give them a rest in the final game or two if the seeds are locked in.

Not to mention Toronto haven't been the usual easybeat team lately.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:26:27 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Don't worry folks Doc said on WEEI this morning in these upcoming games he's going to find a way to rest the vets maybe not DNPs but will rest them somehow.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Don't worry folks Doc said on WEEI this morning in these upcoming games he's going to find a way to rest the vets maybe not DNPs but will rest them somehow.
Interesting we could see some p---ed off vets on the bench if the games go sour.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24:14 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I expect to see a lot of Sasha and Piety tonight.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Who the #$%^&* is Alan Anderson?!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Who the #$%^&* is Alan Anderson?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Anderson_%28basketball%29

I am from Europe, so I watched him in Euroleague for couple of seasons.

He was one of the most talented players in Europe when he played for Maccabi and Barcelona, and I always wondered why he wasn't in the NBA. Not sure about his future in Raptors though, he is already 29.

Anyway, looking forward to this game. Hopefully, we can build a nice lead in the first half so that starters can get some rest.
GO C's

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bad teams or not , they are ALL NBA teams, and if you don't come to play or are just plain worn out (Celtics) tired , you stand to lose reguardless of other teams record.

Also here is chance for teams like the Raptors to "JUMP" on older tired teams and get a few wins and little payback and sucess to save the coachs face and maybe his job..

Its going to be hard for the Celtics to win all these back to back back .  It will be up to the Bench , to take over and win these back to back games for the starters who need rest.

If we break even the rest of the year I 'll be happy.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Interesting we could see some p---ed off vets on the bench if the games go sour.

I'd love to see Doc sit most of the starting unit for extended minutes in the 2nd and 3rd quarters with a long break into the 4th as well.  Our second unit can keep up with that Raptors starting 5 - a team that has scored more than 80 points once in their last 4 games.  If the game is tight in the mid-late 4th i'm fine with the vets getting back out there to close it out, but it would be great to see PP and KG in the 23-27 minute range tonight.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Toronto should drop Aaron Gray from their starting lineup for this game. He has no value in a matchup against a big man duo of the likes of Kevin Garnett and Brandon Bass. Only has value when matching up against a beefy center.

Toronto should start Ed Davis or Linas Kleiza to matchup against Brandon Bass and slide Amir Johnson over to center to check Garnett. I'd go with Kleiza over Davis given how limited the Raptors starting lineup is offensively.

Anyway, since that is not happening, the Celtics starting lineup should be able to build a big lead against the Raptors starting unit to begin the game. Give the C's a nice cushion and allow them to find some rest for their big name players. Extended minutes for bench.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Any word on Brandon Bass's knee?  I hope it hasn't swelled up.  It should be interesting to see what Doc does tonight.  We'll make the play-offs, that's for sure but the big question is do we care about the seeding?  Do we care about home court advantage?

I would play the starters tonight like it's another regular game.  Hopefully we can build up a large enough lead that will allow the bench players to stay on the court longer than usual.  But if that's not the case and the starters are at the 30+ minutes, I'm willing to give the game away on Saturday and rest them (DNPs all around!) and be ready to go again on Sunday.

Let's see what Doc plans on doing.