Author Topic: Kyrie Apologizes  (Read 4295 times)

Kyrie Apologizes
« on: March 11, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
“The way I’ve handled things, it hasn’t been perfect,” Irving told Yahoo Sports as he rested his feet in a bucket of ice at his locker stall. “I’ve made a lot of mistakes that I take full responsibility for. I apologize. I haven’t done it perfectly. I haven’t said the right things all the time. I don’t want to sit on a place like I’m on a pedestal from anybody. I’m a normal human being that makes mistakes. For me, I think because of how fixated I was on trying to prove other people wrong, I got into a lot of habits that were bad, like reading stuff and reacting emotionally. That’s just not who I am.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irving-on-recent-media-issues-the-way-ive-handled-things-it-hasnt-been-perfect-182342108.html
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Kyrie Apologizes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That was nice of him. Not many athletes in his position would've apologized. It shows that Ky is a special person.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yeah, but what does Charles Barkley think?

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's actually a really interesting read (although I don't think he has much to apologize for), but it gives credence to those who said things changed with him once his name got caught up in the Anthony Davis trade drama and he was bothered by it.

“And I had to get off of Instagram, I had to get off of Facebook, I had to get off of Twitter. I had to get off of those things to disconnect myself to focus on me, rather than getting information and validation from everyone else. So, once that started to progress, then I had a lot to fight back about. I was just sick of it after a while. I’m a human being who happens to be a hooper. This is the responsibility that I have. I’m done complaining about it. I have feelings about it, but I’m not going keep badgering the media, keep badgering other people, keep badgering this or that. It’s about moving forward and keeping my sanctuary as safe as possible. As long as I go out there and handle my business, I don’t have anything else to worry about."
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It's cool that he did that. And I think most of us could benefit by disconnecting from social media.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 06:09:35 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
This is how a leader behaves. Owning up to negativity that can effect chemistry is a huge step for him. As long as his teammates can understand where he is coming from there will be less friction with constructive criticism.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
As someone who is happy to see personal growth in any man from personal reflection, I'm glad to hear that.

This was brought up to me recently and now I can't help but to notice how many times he uses the words "I"/"me" in that quote.  14 times.  14 out of the 99 words in that quote were the words "I" or "me".  The nature of the commentary calls for it a bit, but it still really jumped out at me.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Can't wait to see the anti-Kyrie crowd find negatives and "BS" in this apology  ::)

This is how a leader behaves. Owning up to negativity that can effect chemistry is a huge step for him. As long as his teammates can understand where he is coming from there will be less friction with constructive criticism.

I 100% agree with this. The team is on a roll lately and that has started Horford being a steady presence, Hayward being more aggressive and contributing, but the primary factor IMO is Kyrie leading the way and being "facilitator" Kyrie as well. Now that the AD drama is past us (for now), hopefully we can focus on the rest of the season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I had to get off of Instagram, I had to get off of Facebook, I had to get off of Twitter.

This is advice that most athletes should take. Hire somebody to do your marketing on social media. The pressure of playing in front of 20000 fans is enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Very pleased to see Kyrie growing and changing. Good for him.

We owe the Clippers. They embarrased us and it's time for payback. Let's get this win.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
“The way I’ve handled things, it hasn’t been perfect,” Irving told Yahoo Sports as he rested his feet in a bucket of ice at his locker stall. “I’ve made a lot of mistakes that I take full responsibility for. I apologize. I haven’t done it perfectly. I haven’t said the right things all the time. I don’t want to sit on a place like I’m on a pedestal from anybody. I’m a normal human being that makes mistakes. For me, I think because of how fixated I was on trying to prove other people wrong, I got into a lot of habits that were bad, like reading stuff and reacting emotionally. That’s just not who I am.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irving-on-recent-media-issues-the-way-ive-handled-things-it-hasnt-been-perfect-182342108.html
This is good.
Interesting to hear the perspective from inside the social media hurricane.
Glad he recognizes how it can spiral out of control.
Big step by kyrie, he keeps it up he may actually grow into the leader he thought he was.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 07:37:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who did Kyrie talk to when he was thinking about leaving Cleveland?

Kobe Bryant.

What team did Kobe Bryant play for?

Not the Celtics.

ip finder
This means literally nothing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
just win

then theres no apologies necessary

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol just keep quiet and play. Why is that so difficult. You are just not as competent in dealing with the media as you think you are. Its okay... you cannot be everything. You are a great basketball player. That does not propel to greatness at other things. Other areas of life need the same time you put into basketball to become great. You just do not roll out of bed and become media savvy. Its okay.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 10:37:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It's actually a really interesting read (although I don't think he has much to apologize for), but it gives credence to those who said things changed with him once his name got caught up in the Anthony Davis trade drama and he was bothered by it.

“And I had to get off of Instagram, I had to get off of Facebook, I had to get off of Twitter. I had to get off of those things to disconnect myself to focus on me, rather than getting information and validation from everyone else. So, once that started to progress, then I had a lot to fight back about. I was just sick of it after a while. I’m a human being who happens to be a hooper. This is the responsibility that I have. I’m done complaining about it. I have feelings about it, but I’m not going keep badgering the media, keep badgering other people, keep badgering this or that. It’s about moving forward and keeping my sanctuary as safe as possible. As long as I go out there and handle my business, I don’t have anything else to worry about."

so you are badgering the media by saying you are not going to keep badgering the media.