Author Topic: Is Dwight Howard's career redeemed?  (Read 2939 times)

Re: Is Dwight Howard's career redeemed?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Dwight Howard was drafted in 2004 and 5 years later led his team to an NBA Finals. That series was closer than people remember it. A few different bounces and it's a 2-2, or even 3-1 series and anything can happen.

He asks for a trade and plays for a notoriously difficult teammate in Kobe. Steve Nash is cooked, and that team fizzles out.

He was fine in Houston - and after that his position became pretty meaningless in the NBA. He did exactly what was needed of him to help his team win a championship this year.

I am not sure he ever needed to redeem anything.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 10:57:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dwight Howard was drafted in 2004 and 5 years later led his team to an NBA Finals. That series was closer than people remember it. A few different bounces and it's a 2-2, or even 3-1 series and anything can happen.

He asks for a trade and plays for a notoriously difficult teammate in Kobe. Steve Nash is cooked, and that team fizzles out.

He was fine in Houston - and after that his position became pretty meaningless in the NBA. He did exactly what was needed of him to help his team win a championship this year.

His teammates hated him at every stop after Orlando, and he put his own stats above winning. He was not “fine” in Houston, or Atlanta, or Charlotte. 

I’m not sure that suppressing his stats chasing, teammate-isolating personality for one season redeems much of anything.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

His teammates hated him at every stop after Orlando, and he put his own stats above winning. He was not “fine” in Houston, or Atlanta, or Charlotte. 

I’m not sure that suppressing his stats chasing, teammate-isolating personality for one season redeems much of anything.

I do believe it didn't end that well in Houston however, he averaged 16/12/2/1 over his 3 seasons.

His year in Charlotte he was great. He played in 81 games and averaged nearly 17 points 12 boards and 2 blocks a game.

Dwight always has been an above average player in this league when expected to be a primary player. Does it matter that his teammates hated him? A lot of teammates hated Kobe. A lot of Coaches hated Rondo, there are players in this league that aren't liked.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think so. He is still a clown and someone you have to keep an eye on. 

I doubt he leaves the Lakers.  Willing to take minimum to stay. Same with Rondo

He has made enough money throughout his career to have this luxury