Author Topic: Movie Blog  (Read 9821 times)

Re: Movie Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Every that kind of list is incomplete without Woody. Hope you'll catch up with his best work.

BTW hope that Cameron Crowe will be there. I rate him very highly.

Nope! Sorry Misha, Cameron Crowe didn't make it. I've only seen Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire from his work... and he's only made 7 films (One being a documentary). I would like to see Vanilla Sky, but at the moment the only movie of his that I've enjoyed was Almost Famous.

I agree about Woody Allen though. I really need to see his other films. I've been looking everywhere Annie Hall and Manhattan but haven't been able to find them. I'm sure he'll take somebody's spot on the list after I see a bit more of his work.

The next list will be up shortly. I'm working on it right now!

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
You MUST see Vanilla Sky and more than once. A very good movie taht only get better with every time you watch it.

Cameron didn't make a lot of films, but most of them are very good. He also IMO is one of the best out there at creating superb soundtracks.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
You MUST see Vanilla Sky and more than once. A very good movie taht only get better with every time you watch it.

Cameron didn't make a lot of films, but most of them are very good. He also IMO is one of the best out there at creating superb soundtracks.

That Almost Famous soundtrack is awesome... one of my favorites. I tend to enjoy original scores made for film rather than a soundtrack though. Clint Mansell is my guy, I will see a movie in which he is involved regardless of the content just to hear the music he makes for it and see how perfectly it matches the visuals. Hans Zimmer makes excellent scores as well.

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »

Offline Green Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

TP on Vanilla Sky and it's soundtrack. Sigur Ros is all over that soundtrack which makes it really beautiful. And the movie itself definitely gets better the more you watch it, so many things/clues you pick up on.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
http://filmreviewarchive.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-20-directors-15-11.html

DONE!
It's been a long week and I am exhausted after doing that.

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 08:18:22 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

TP on Vanilla Sky and it's soundtrack. Sigur Ros is all over that soundtrack which makes it really beautiful. And the movie itself definitely gets better the more you watch it, so many things/clues you pick up on.
TP for a good taste ;)

Nicely done, Matt.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 08:20:49 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

TP for a good taste ;)

Nicely done, Matt.

Thanks Misha, TP to you and Green Man for the conversation!

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Nice blog.

I have a similar collection to yours in size and content, but have slowed down in the past year (only pick up a blu-ray here and there that really interests me that I didn't see in the theater).

I'll check back, I agree with your list of directors thus far and I can appreciate your love of There Will Be Blood. PTA and DDL are in a class of their own.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Nice blog.

I have a similar collection to yours in size and content, but have slowed down in the past year (only pick up a blu-ray here and there that really interests me that I didn't see in the theater).

I'll check back, I agree with your list of directors thus far and I can appreciate your love of There Will Be Blood. PTA and DDL are in a class of their own.

And Day-Lewis happens to be my favorite actor...

TP for that!

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 02:09:12 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Well done, Matt.  You provide a lot of good posts in these movie threads.  I agree with you on a lot of your directorial picks, with a few differences.

James Cameron doesn't make many movies, but when he does I think he delivers.  Aliens is my favorite movie of all time.  It's the perfect action/sci-fi movie IMO.  Terminator II is fantastic.  It's nearly 20 years old, while looking like it was released this summer.  Cameron was way ahead of his time on that one.  Terminator I is also a good time, as is Avatar.  I didn't see Titanic till a few years ago, and while i didnt think it was amazing, I thought it was a compelling story, and the shipwreck scene was phenomenal.  I wish I could've seen in it on the big screen.

I'm also a big fan of Michael Mann.  Heat, Collateral, and The Insider are three of the greatest movies of the last 15 years, IMO.  Mann has such a unique visual style.  Parts of Collateral look so good I could watch it without the sound on.  Last of the Mohicans is incredible as well.  Public Enemies and Miami Vice were solid.  I havent seen Thief or Manhunter in ages, but if i remember they were all right.

David Lynch is maddeningly inconsistent, but when he connects he is fantastic.  He often gets too weird (I thought Inland Empire was almost unwatchable), but when he matches good storytelling with the weirdness, he really shines.  Blue Velvet is fantastic.  The Straight Story is fantastic.  Lynch, for who knows what reason, decided to direct a "G" rated movie, and man, did he knock it out of the park.  Mullholland Drive and Wild at Heart, though a bit out there, are both great.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Well done, Matt.  You provide a lot of good posts in these movie threads.  I agree with you on a lot of your directorial picks, with a few differences.

James Cameron doesn't make many movies, but when he does I think he delivers.  Aliens is my favorite movie of all time.  It's the perfect action/sci-fi movie IMO.  Terminator II is fantastic.  It's nearly 20 years old, while looking like it was released this summer.  Cameron was way ahead of his time on that one.  Terminator I is also a good time, as is Avatar.  I didn't see Titanic till a few years ago, and while i didnt think it was amazing, I thought it was a compelling story, and the shipwreck scene was phenomenal.  I wish I could've seen in it on the big screen.

I'm also a big fan of Michael Mann.  Heat, Collateral, and The Insider are three of the greatest movies of the last 15 years, IMO.  Mann has such a unique visual style.  Parts of Collateral look so good I could watch it without the sound on.  Last of the Mohicans is incredible as well.  Public Enemies and Miami Vice were solid.  I havent seen Thief or Manhunter in ages, but if i remember they were all right.

David Lynch is maddeningly inconsistent, but when he connects he is fantastic.  He often gets too weird (I thought Inland Empire was almost unwatchable), but when he matches good storytelling with the weirdness, he really shines.  Blue Velvet is fantastic.  The Straight Story is fantastic.  Lynch, for who knows what reason, decided to direct a "G" rated movie, and man, did he knock it out of the park.  Mullholland Drive and Wild at Heart, though a bit out there, are both great.

TP for the post, freshinthehouse!

I think I defended my disliking of Cameron as well as I could. To me he is just an arrogant jerk. One thing I did not mention is that sci-fi is probably my least favorite of all of the genres... not that I hate it, it just takes a lot for me to enjoy a sci-fi film. My favorite sci-fi's would be Moon, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and A Clockwork Orange if you consider that sci-fi (Some people have a broad view of sci-fi and some people believe it is strictly aliens, etc.) I honestly can't stand the Terminator movies, I think they're terrible.

The same thing goes for most of Michael Mann's work. I don't really know why I don't like Heat, it's been a while since I've seen it so I may have to watch it again. I definitely don't like Miami Vice and wouldn't give that a second viewing. I really liked Collateral. I think solid is a perfect description for Public Enemies, not excellent but definitely a solid film. I'm going to have to check out his other work.

What you said about David Lynch was perfect. He is hit or miss. When he hits he delivers confusing masterpieces. When he misses he delivers weird, confusing trash.

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I tell you, try to watch Inland Empire.  If you can get anything out of it, you're a better man than me.  I thought it was 3 hours of aimless insanity.

A friend and I were talking a few weeks back that a lot of great directors are getting old.  Thankfully for us guys like Sidney Lumet and Clint Eastwood are working into their 80s, but they've got to hang it up some time.  Scorsese has to be on the wrong side of 70.  They're not that old, but Lynch and John Carpenter haven't been active in quite some time.  It'll be said when we start to lose these guys.  Luckily there are some good young directors ready to pick up the slack.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
any one seen A Prophet very good

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 09:27:48 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
any one seen A Prophet very good

I have not, but some people have been talking about it on the "What's the last movie you watched?" thread!

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
also Terribly Happy is awesome  a Hollywood version is coming soon