Author Topic: Book of Eli  (Read 9411 times)

Re: Book of Eli
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Book of Eli

Really liked the colors and the Western tones. Pretty good movie, but I was clueless as to why everything was in ruins since I know nothing about the story.

I just wish that the director had found more subtle ways to hint towards the twist. I think that would've made the movie so much better, atleast that's what did it for me with Shutter Island. Shutter Island had hiints all over the place, but you weren't given all the information to put it all together until the end. Book of Eli probably has 4 or 5 and you barely think twice about them.

Just gonna Drag this from another thread :P.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i thought the movie was pretty good.  based on the previews, i expected it to be much better.  not bad, but not great either, imo

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Book of Eli

Really liked the colors and the Western tones. Pretty good movie, but I was clueless as to why everything was in ruins since I know nothing about the story.

I just wish that the director had found more subtle ways to hint towards the twist. I think that would've made the movie so much better, atleast that's what did it for me with Shutter Island. Shutter Island had hiints all over the place, but you weren't given all the information to put it all together until the end. Book of Eli probably has 4 or 5 and you barely think twice about them.

Wait, there were a handful of hints why everything was in ruins? I was surfing the web while watching the movie, so I suppose I may have missed the hints.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 04:04:10 AM »

Offline Brendon

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
the movie is good. its about a blind guy who walks across america carrying the bible in a post nuclear war apocolpse era. He must go out west because god told him to. During the journey he encounters various street thugs. Later he stops at a village to charge his ipod battery and fill up his water. Later the town's leader realized Eli have a sacred book which is called a bible. He wish to steal it to manipulate people to increase his army. So 1/3 of the movie is Eli running and fighting.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Book of Eli

Wait, there were a handful of hints why everything was in ruins? I was surfing the web while watching the movie, so I suppose I may have missed the hints.

No, I meant their were a handful of hints that he was blind. As for why everything was in ruins they kept talking about a war and a big flash. I think it was a Nuclear bomb.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
     EJplaya,that's not a good reason to be religious. "What if I'm wrong?" So I should believe because it increases my chances just IN CASE there's an afterlife? What am I gambling, here?
     I actually ENVY people who are spiritual. But I will never believe in anything like a virgin birth, making fish multiply, or any of the like. I think it's unfortunate that children are still being taught that these things are true.I genuinely believe that the world would be a better, more peaceful, place without any ORGANIZED religion.
     It's a topic that's close to my heart. I know some people (not saying you) look down upon athiests and agnostics. They think these groups of people are missing something or confused. I find that insulting, to be honest.
     I saw a recent video of Pat Tillman's funeral where McCain said something to the effect that Pat was with god now. Well, Pat was an atheist and as his brother said when he got up to the podium, "Pat was an atheist." "He's not with god , he's just dead." It's not a comforting thought, that's for sure.But it should be respected.It was not in this case and the guy died trying to defend his country. That's just very hurtful.
     What I think is missing is that people don't realize that there are many atheists out there who dedicate their lives to making other people's lives better. They are giving and loving people and they are doing this without any belief of any reward in some afterlife. I think that is something to really admire.   

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »

Offline scootman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
i loved this movie!

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Wow. I never thought of him being blind. Interesting.
     Hey, anyone see SNL last night? Some new guy did an incredible Denzel impression. Really funny.

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
I thought it was interesting.  Didnt think it was a great movie, but I thought Denzel did a good job and the action/fighting scenes were pretty cool.  I thought the tone and the soundtrack and scenes were a bit too slow at times, making it kind of preachy.  I liked the concept and the point of the movie.  The entire movie definitely reminded me of Mad Max.

One little side note, I thought it was interesting that some people thought Avatar was racist, but in this movie where a black man is like the savior killing a bunch of white people and nothing is said.  Maybe because nobody thought about race, and that is what it should be like for movies in general.

Interesting point about race in the movie. I believe that there are inhabitants of the town that are black; but I don't know for sure. I thought there was a black child in one of the scenes on the town. Also the head of the "Library" was obviously white; but I can't remember for sure if there were other black people on Alcatraz. The directors are Mixed Race (actually half armenian); but did not see it as racist or having racial overtones. Interesting though.

As for the religious aspect, it took a more cultural or historical view of Christianity and did not even really mention Jesus - so can't imagine Christians would take a positive view of the more humanistic interpretation. So as was said already thought it dealt with religion well if in an overly simplistic manner. The idea that knowledge is power was perhaps even more clear.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
completely retarded movie.  The ending was one of the worst ive ever seen in my life.  You can't have an ending like that and do pretty much no foreshadowing... it comes across cheap.   I think when movies lean on spiritual explanations (or TV shows... Lost and BSG = FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL) it comes across extremely hacky

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Wow. I never thought of him being blind. Interesting.
     Hey, anyone see SNL last night? Some new guy did an incredible Denzel impression. Really funny.
Jay Pharoah... he's good.  He does pretty much anyone who is black spot-on. Jay Z, Eddie Murphy, Charlie Murphy, Denzel, Will Smith, 50 Cent (pretty much every rapper)... it's awesome.  Check him out on youtube.  I have big hopes.  His Denzel was solid and his Will Smith a couple weeks ago was fantastic.

WIll:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/180975/saturday-night-live-jay-as-will-smith

Denzel:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/184584/saturday-night-live-returns-and-exchanges

His Eddie Murphy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vFzu7dne4

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 02:35:18 AM »

Offline tonybell

• Open Roster Spot
A post-apocalyptic tale, in which a lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind.Its a mix combination of action,adventure and drama movie but its too complicated movie.I watch it 2 times and i am not understand yet.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 03:37:19 AM »

Offline megan8788

• Jaden Springer
I love this movie. The acting of Denzel Washington in the movie is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
worst flix denzel ever did...

is blast best movie was Glory...

i didnt like training day..yeah he won an award for his acting in it be he had to be crooked before he took it...

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 06:52:01 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I saw this on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.  I thought it was entertaining, although parts were silly.  (After a nuclear holocaust, why would one of the first orders of business be to destroy all of the Bibles?  Why did everyone forget how to read in 40 years time?  How does a braille Bible fit into one volume?)

It was very cool visually, and there was lots of good action, plot holes aside.

First off I suggest you announce spoiler alert before typing what ya typed ;)

Second, they stated in the movie that the nuclear holocaust was a direct result of religious wars.  Ergo, the backlash was to destroy all religious books, which was mentioned too.

Third, everyone didn't forget how to read, but with society broken down all newborns never learned how to read.  Anyone over the age of 55 or 60 could still read, but there were very few of "those people" left.

Lastly, the bible was indeed larger than the regular bible.  Compare what Denzel had with what was finally printed and put on the shelves at the end.

Personally I thought the movie was great.  I had no expectations going into it, thought it started  out a bit slow, but the cinematography and directing of it were awesome.  Its definitely a change of pace!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:21:08 AM by Spilling Green Dye »