Author Topic: Book of Eli  (Read 9419 times)

Book of Eli
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:04:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I thought there was a thread for this already, but I could not find it.

Saw this tonight, and really liked it.  The soundtrack and color scheme really set the tone of the movie nicely.  Denzel was his useful awesomeness.  There was just enough Road Warrior goofiness to satisfy the future apocalypse world genre movie lover. 

Gary Oldman had another fine villain role (right up there with the 5th Element).

A nice surprise at the end.  The movie gave a nice perspective on the bible without being overly preachy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:19:35 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Book of Eli
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Saw this tonight, and really liked it.  The soundtrack and color scheme really set the tone of the movie nicely.  Denzel was his useful awesomeness.  There was just enough Road Warrior goofiness to satisfy the future apocalypse world genre movie lover. 

Gary Oldman had another fine villain role (right up there with the 5th Element).

A nice surprise at the end.  The move gave a nice perspective on the bible without being overly preachy.

You forgot the best part of the movie... Mila Kunis is in it!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

A nice surprise at the end.  The move gave a nice perspective on the bible without being overly preachy.

I liked Tom Waits better

man...I'm getting old!

seriously, she was easily the most implausible part of the movie
Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I thought it was interesting.  Didnt think it was a great movie, but I thought Denzel did a good job and the action/fighting scenes were pretty cool.  I thought the tone and the soundtrack and scenes were a bit too slow at times, making it kind of preachy.  I liked the concept and the point of the movie.  The entire movie definitely reminded me of Mad Max.

One little side note, I thought it was interesting that some people thought Avatar was racist, but in this movie where a black man is like the savior killing a bunch of white people and nothing is said.  Maybe because nobody thought about race, and that is what it should be like for movies in general.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

I liked Tom Waits better

man...I'm getting old!

Haven't seen the movie yet, I just love Mila Kunis.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:31:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I liked Tom Waits better

man...I'm getting old!

Haven't seen the movie yet, I just love Mila Kunis.

The implausible part, is that she's a total hotty in a land of degenerates!
Yup

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Is this a book? Or was it created as a movie idea first? Just curious.

I've seen the previews and it looks pretty cool. I hope to catch it sometime soon.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Finally saw this yesterday. Really liked the colors and the Western tones. Pretty good movie, but I was clueless as to why everything was in ruins since I know nothing about the story.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:48:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw this on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.  I thought it was entertaining, although parts were silly.  (After a nuclear holocaust, why would one of the first orders of business be to destroy all of the Bibles?  Why did everyone forget how to read in 40 years time?  How does a braille Bible fit into one volume?)

It was very cool visually, and there was lots of good action, plot holes aside.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree it was cool visually, and there was some great acting.  The story was a drag though.  It was pretty boring and anticlimactic for a movie of that caliber.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Grade A garbage if you ask me.

A movie with those actors and that budget should be a lot lot better...

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i thought it was funny that more blood was being shed because of the bible, yet again! Ha. It even happens in fantasy worlds.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I was thinking about this movie the other day after I saw Inception.  I saw Book of Eli sometime back in January/February (so my memory may be a little off about some of the details and what not).

People are making this big fuss about Inception, how the visuals are great, the plot is great, the action is great, and how the ending is like "whoa," and how you need to see it twice to catch everything.  Besides the visuals, I didn't agree with the other opinions on Inception, but the Book of Eli, now I thought that had a cool plot, cool visuals, and a way better "whoa" ending that I never saw coming (unlike Inception), and a movie that you might need to see twice to catch all the little things about Denzel's character that you probably didn't catch the first time, but once you know the ending you would catch them.

With the Book of Eli, I actually cared what happened to Denzel and Mila Kunis, and didn't want the villian to succeed.  With Inception, I didn't care about Leonardo or any other characters, and couldn't care less if they failed or succeeded, and there was no real good vs bad guys.

Book of Eli vs Inception

Visuals
Book of Eli = Inception
Different styles but both cool

Plot
Book of Eli > Inception

Action
Book of Eli > Inception

Ending
Book of Eli > Inception

Hey I already know I'm in the minority, nothing knew  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 02:29:37 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Saw this movie when it came out in theaters and was very impressed. Denzel did a great job as always.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
i thought it was funny that more blood was being shed because of the bible, yet again! Ha. It even happens in fantasy worlds.

Don't you ever tire of ripping people's religion cornbread?! You sure better hope you are right and the the majority of everyone else is wrong because you're going to have a rough afterlife if you're not!

Maybe instead of Book of Eli you ought to watch Bambi. Pay extra close attention to what Thumper's mother reminds him that his father always says...