Author Topic: Will Indy Beat us in First Round?  (Read 6627 times)

Will Indy Beat us in First Round?
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I was listening to Celtics Talk Podcast where Draper was talking to Indiana reporter about the first round, and taking offense when the Indy guy thought the series would go 6-7 games.  Draper and Sherod said Celtics would easily win in 4-5 games vs. Indy.

I can't believe the arrogance of Celtics media, given where we are.

I frankly am very skeptical that we get past Indy at this point. That team plays much more together, defends very well, and has a big chip on its shoulder. Similar to the Celtics last season when we lost our star for the playoffs. Nothing to lose attitude.

The way things are trending, I would not be surprised to see us lose in 5 games to them.

What is your prediction for Indy series?

Re: Will Indy Beat us in First Round?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:38:58 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
It's a coin flip as to how much effort and focus they decide to put in. I think we will win but I think it will go to 7 games. We won't have home court so we will have to steal one over there and it will take all 4 attempts before we get one I think.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It will go 7 games. Winner is whoever has HCA. If C’s end up with the 5th seed, I don’t see this team having the mental fortitude to win a road game in the playoffs.

That said, I think we lose in the 2nd round unless it’s Philly. We can beat Philly
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They might. This team has yet to show that they can be a consistent team that plays together. Not really sure they can flip the switch or are just bored.

They are fundamentally flawed and the team seems pretty toxic still.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Depends... do we keep Moose for the playoffs? 

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They'll most likely have home court advantage, and they play like a team.

The Celtics are more talented.

I would say the Pacers should win.  Especially given their advantage in the front court.  But I imagine it'll be a 7 game series with the teams winning at home.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think we beat them in 6, but have no ilusion we got that switch to turn it on in the Playoffs and win in all. To me, the way we act and play all season, second round exit is very very realistic.
Filp the switch mindest is okay if you are playing against opponents twice as weak as you are, and then you can flip it whenever you like and have impact on the final score.
This feels like me coasting through the year in HS and then looking for an A grade in the final month. Not happening... Hope I'm wrong...
Go Celtics!

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Yes. They are the second worst matchup for us after Toronto. We have no size up front and they have loads of it. Just follow the Spurs game plan. Wash, rinse, repeat.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
IMO we lose in 7 games to Indy. I'm not convinced we can play hard for a whole series even if the playoffs are on the line. Indy will play hard for the whole series. I can def see us losing to a scrappy team.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
They certainly should. 

It depends on which Boston team shows up, though.  And how engaged they are.

This team could get dropped in the first round or make the NBA Finals and neither would surprise me at this point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One thing we know about this Celtics team -- they will fold as soon as they encounter adversity.

Another thing we know is if they get up by 15+ they will start taking dumb shots and forget all about the concept of basketball as a team sport.

Neither of those things bodes well for the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
One thing we know about this Celtics team -- they will fold as soon as they encounter adversity.

We do? What a wild and unfounded statement disguised as collective agreement of fact.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
As pessimistic as I have become with this team, I can’t fathom that we lose to Indy. Talent wins in the playoffs, and we are much more talented than Indy.

It really is a crapshoot with this team, though.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
We will sweep them and then everyone will be like " I knew they would turn it on".

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Look, if Boston can't beat this Oladipo-less Pacers team without home court advantage, they aren't going to stand a chance against the superior teams above them in the standings... so I don't really care if we putter out over the remainder of this regular season.  Regardless of seed, we SHOULD dominate the Pacers...

... That said...

If you're the type of person who -

1 - Thought we'd be a juggernaut this year based on our ability to take LeBron to 7 games in the playoffs last year.

2 - Thinks Boston is better off without our star guard - as shown in our ability to take LeBron to 7 games in the playoffs last year.

... Well then, strap yourself in for this mind-bender.

The Pacers took LeBron to 7 games in the playoffs last year too.  In-fact, what they did was actually more impressive.  Their only losses to the Cavs came by 3, 4, 3 and 4 points.  They had two victories by 18 and 34 points.   In the 7 games, the Pacers actually outscored the Cavs 704 to 664.

Compare that to Boston, who lost games by 30, 9, 20 and 8 points.   In 7 games, LeBron and the Cavs outscored the Celtics 683 to 677.

By that math, the Pacers (who won 48 games) were actually better than the Celtics (who post-Kyrie injury played at a 48 win pace).

Now, factor in the fact that the Pacers will be missing their star guard... and how ya'll feel about teams being better without their star guards...   Ya'll should be deftly afraid of the Pacers.