Author Topic: Windhorst & Lowe on Kevin Love (Reportedly May Leave Cleveland)  (Read 21731 times)

Re: Windhorst & Lowe on Kevin Love
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Perhaps Woj wasn't just stirring the pot in late April when he suggested the C's and Love had some kind of mutual agreement.

He's got to be looking at the Western Conference at the moment and wondering how brutal it's going to be out there for at least the next 5 years.

Our appeal is our coach, our cap situation, our GM, our sports city and basketball history. What's not often mentioned is how much easier the East must look to free agents that want deep playoff runs.
Love would have an offense revolving around him, and being 'the man' here would be an appealing scenario.

With Stevens coaching, I wonder if DeAndre Jordan would look at us with Love coming here.

Let's fantasize: 
1) trade Bradley+ #28+Dallas 2016 pick+ Wallace to Bucks for Khris Middleton  (Jason Kidd loves his D)
2)re-sign Crowder to reasonable deal
3) sign Kevin Love
4) sign DeAndre Jordan

Smart
Middleton
Crowder
Love
Jordan

IT
Turner
Olynyk or Sully
Zeller
Young
Rookie
Rookie

Tough defensive team with solid three point shooting and bench.
Still missing something but we've got best defensive anchor in NBA and top 10 NBA player in love and potential top 25 player in Middleton so we're much closer to where we wanna be. If Middleton, Smart and Crowder all improve that's a very nasty team.

I think we've got a better shot at Love than most people think.
The Lakers getting the # 2 pick didn't help us but the West is just so tough that I think it would really appeal to guys like DJ and Love as far as getting bigger roles and only having to deal with Lebron as the mega hurdle.
Whereas the West is Curry, CP3/Griffin, Harden/Howard, Gasol/Zeebo, Spurs.

On an interesting side note, did anyone see that Mike Conley is expected to hit free agency?

I LIKE that!

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Lakers reporter-

Serena Winters @SerenaWinters  ·  22m 22 minutes ago
This morning on @TheHerd, @ESPN_Colin said he talked to his 2 best NBA sources about rumors surrounding Kevin Love leaving CLE. Response: "There is a real feeling even amongst LeBron & others they don't know what he's (Kevin Love) going to do."

Has Cowherd ever broken a story?

Not sure, but is it really so shocking to believe Love would leave the allure of Cleveland?

You mean more like the allure of gets max money while having a legit chance of winning multiples rings over the next 3-4yrs? Yeah it would be very shocking for a player (who had never played a PO till this season) to turn that down

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Lakers reporter-

This morning on @TheHerd, @ESPN_Colin said he talked to his 2 best NBA sources about rumors surrounding Kevin Love leaving CLE. Response: "There is a real feeling even amongst LeBron & others they don't know what he's (Kevin Love) going to do."

Not sure, but is it really so shocking to believe Love would leave the allure of Cleveland?

You mean more like the allure of gets max money while having a legit chance of winning multiples rings over the next 3-4yrs? Yeah it would be very shocking for a player (who had never played a PO till this season) to turn that down

You mean Cleveland is the only one that can offer him max money?

Let's not forget that when our big 3 (KG, Pierce, Allen) came together they collectively said it only worked because they were older and had already experienced individual success. Love is just 26, so to think he'll be happy to be 3rd fiddle/riding coattails behind James and Irving for the next several seasons is a stretch.

« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2015, 02:10:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah but I bet Kevin Love thinks he could be the best player on a good NBA team, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Lakers reporter-

Let's not forget that when our big 3 (KG, Pierce, Allen) came together they collectively said it only worked because they were older and had already experienced individual success. Love is just 26, so to think he'll be happy to be 3rd fiddle/riding coattails behind James and Irving for the next several seasons is a stretch.

Despite claims to the contrary, Zubi has repeatedly beat the drum for the last few months that there is no chance Love leaves Cleveland. In the meantime national writers like Woj, Windhorst, Zach Lowe and some others (that have varying degrees of credibility) have been floating the idea that Love may leave. Why would all these guys keep saying this stuff if it wasn't accurate or there wasn't a chance it would happen. Generally the only reason false rumors like this get leaked is to impact the players contract. Love would get the max offer from Cleveland no matter what, so that is clearly not what is happening here. He would also get the max offer from any other number of teams if he expressed interest. That leads me to believe these guys are all saying it because there is at least a chance.

Now I have no reason to think that team would be the Celtics. I think the Lakers would be a favorite or even a chance to join the Knicks (or Memphis if they lose Gasol) would be more likely. However, these guys aren't just making stuff up for the hell of it. There is definitely a chance he leaves. People have said the same kind of things about Aldridge (50 50 he leaves) and we all generally accepted it as true (despite the fact that LA has spent his entire career there and Love has spent one erratic season in Cleveland). Why is it so unfathomable he could leave a cleveland team that is doing just fine without him.

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Yeah but I bet Kevin Love thinks he could be the best player on a good NBA team, too.

I am pretty certain he does, which would be the biggest factor in him moving on.

« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I am pretty certain he does, which would be the biggest factor in him moving on.

Add Love, a 3 and D wing type, and a rim protector to the C's and we would be a very good team. And Love would be the best player.

« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

I guess thats why he consented to be traded to a team with Lebron on it and an upcoming star in Kyrie ::)

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Lakers reporter-

Cleveland can offer him more money initially, greater raises, and an extra year.  Love knew where he was going when he went there.  He could have resisted and the trade wouldn't have happened, but he willingly chose to go to Cleveland with James and Irving because he was supposedly tired of losing.  Now he goes to a winning team and he leaves the first chance he gets.  Just doesn't smell right.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Lakers reporter-

Yeah, some people just can't wrap their heads around any player leaving LeBron.

Love is going to get ripped regardless of what he does anyways, which is too bad.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I guess thats why he consented to be traded to a team with Lebron on it and an upcoming star in Kyrie ::)

whats your point? Use your words instead of eye rolls. I am certain that Lebron thought he could be the best player on a good team, but still joined up with Bosh and Wade. So why did he consent to join the heat? lets hear it bud.

« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
Lakers reporter-

Pretty sure the point was he can get more $ per yr and overall contract yr from Cavs than any other team

Lets also not forget about KG saying he would have left earlier if he had the chance given he could legitimately competed for a Title in his prime! You know the same exact opportunity Love has now. It is what it is. Just looking forward to all the backtracking that will happen in the summer

By the way doesnt Love have individual accomplishments?? Infact the biggest knock on his career has been whether he can actually contribute on a winning team. He finally finds one but he will throw it away just so he can go back to putting up stats and missing PO on losing teams huh?Right ::)

« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Add Love, a 3 and D wing type, and a rim protector to the C's and we would be a very good team. And Love would be the best player.

I don't think we'd grade out better than the Wizards or the Hawks.

It's possible that he wants to be on a team with a capable front office (which he hasn't yet), but he's unlikely to find a better team than the Cavaliers if he hits free agency, and for all the Lakers favoritism they're not much better run than the Timberwolves at the present time.

So where does he go?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Lakers reporter-

Cleveland can offer him more money initially, greater raises, and an extra year.  Love knew where he was going when he went there.  He could have resisted and the trade wouldn't have happened, but he willingly chose to go to Cleveland with James and Irving because he was supposedly tired of losing.  Now he goes to a winning team and he leaves the first chance he gets.  Just doesn't smell right.

At the time of the trade they had a dramatically different team than they do today. They didn't have mosgov, Thompson was very unproven. They also didn't have Shumpert or Jr Smith who have become much bigger part of the offense combined than Waiters was. He is not even the clear cut 3rd option on this current version of the Cavs (jr smith is a lot of nights). He also has less opportunity to operate in the low post with Mosgov/Thompson on the floor with him at all times.

Secondly, I think Love probably envisioned a little more in terms of sacrifice from the Cleveland big 3 than has actually happened. When the big 3 formed in boston all of the guys took less shots and averaged less points. In Cleveland, Irving actually averaged more points this year and took only one less shot per game (with a full assist drop per game). Lebron actually took one more shot per game this year than he did last year. I am sure it would be easier for Love to swallow taking 6 less shot attempts per game if he saw a similar sacrifice from everyone, but seeing other players still getting theirs, while you sacrifice 50% of your offense is tough to swallow.